Samsung HL-R5067W Won't turn on (Lamp, Standby, Timer Lights) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-09, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
aj

Question Samsung HL-R5067W Won't turn on (Lamp, Standby, Timer Lights)

Hello, this is a great forum! I have read many of the posts on the Samsung DLPs, I am amazed at the depth and breadth of this forum. Good job to the coordinators!!!

Here is my problem: Last week we noticed that our R5067W was humming louder then usual, I immediately ordered a new fan, thinking the bulb would go quickly since it sounded like the fan was having problems. This may not have been the problem???

I replaced the fan (the one behind the bulb); then the TV would not come on. After many hours of double checking every connection and reading the posts here: no joy. Anyway:

- the safety switch is enabled (as if cover was on),
- the green LED in the PCB module is on,
- I hear a clicking when the AC cable is plugged in, and one later after a while
- but no fans, no color wheel sound (or any other sounds) and
- the Timer & Standby lights are blinking after initial blinking of Lamp light(I rechecked fan connections).
- There is 300V at the ballast connection from the power supply (measured with a meter).
- There is ~4.5V at both fan connectors
- No obstruction to the fans,
- the bulb is not on.

The TV has never had color problems or any other type of problems other then what seemed like fan humming.

I don't want to spend ( ) $$$ on a blub or a color wheel or a new ballast until I know for sure one of these is the problem. Everything was working find before I replace the fan. I should have done some research before that but...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AJ (desperate)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-09, 01:42 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Samsung HL-R5067W Won't turn on (Lamp, Standby, Timer Lights)

The original problem may have been a color wheel and not a fan. If the symptom changed, it is likely something that you did. Check all connections carefully.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
aj

Thanks for the quick reply. Really think it was a color wheel problem?... would it make the hum without affecting color or picture?

Yeah, I agree on your second point. I was just looking for any clue anyone might have. I will keep looking and checking my connections and other things. They did a great job of designing the connectors on the TV set since no two connectors are the same, so you can't plug anything in wrong. So I am looking for other things as well...

Thanks again.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-09, 07:56 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I gave you a guess based on my experience. There is no way for me to know more than that without examining the set. Yes, I have had noisy CWs that did not have image problems. You can plug the ribbon cable in wrong IIRC.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-09, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
aj

Thanks, your guess is definitely better then mine.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-21-09, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
aj

Sir, thank you very very much for your insight. Your IIRC recommendation was right on and that fixed the problem. I reseated that connector and the TV is now working again.

Your other suggestion is also correct, as replacing the fan did not eliminate the hum.

Thank you so much for your help. If I ever get the pleasure of meeting you, I owe you a beer. If not next time I have one, I will raise my glass to you.

If you every need any computer help. Let me know.

Thank,
post #7 of 8 Old 03-21-09, 09:31 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Well, now that you mention it...

I have been thinking about building a HTPC for a while and wonder, do you have any experience with that area? Any recomendations for components? What is the preferred mobo these days, etc?

post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-09, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
aj

I have built a number of machines in my day, and frankly now a days the cost benefit is not as great to buidling your own. The prices being offered by most OEMs are so good that you can get some decent machines at pretty good prices. With that said, if you want to buidl your own anyway, I use to be a big fan of ABIT motherboards as they had the most instrumentation in their BIOS then anyone, but sadly they are going out of business. ASUS is currently a good buy along with many of their competitors (look at mwave.com, newegg.com, tomshardware.com, pricewatch.com); I have also been a big fan of AMD procs; but currently Intel has them beat with the best dual core procs. The key in HTPC is going to be the multi-core proces, plenty of memory, at least one good video card, and at least two brand named (Hauppauge or LeadTek) tuners. My latest machine is a great deal I got from HP with a quad core & with dual (brand named: Hauppauge & ATI) tuners and wireless kybd & mouse and 750GB drive for under $450. (The employee discount is not very good but retail deals on line are great.) The only thing I don't like about it, is that it is a tower.

I also own a great new product from HP that really helps my HTPC, known as a Windows Home Server, HP's MediaSmart Server. It serves as my backup, for all my machines on my network and also is my strorage for photos, documents and videos for everyone at home.

I do have to disclose that I work for HP, but even when working for them and Compaq I have built my own machines (white boxes). Currently I don't see the benefit of building my own when I can get some good deals that I can then modify and upgrade.

I just wish they made a form factor that was more suited for HT that I liked.

Thanks,

Last edited by al-jimenez; 03-22-09 at 01:53 PM.