HL-T5676SX/XAA - Black Screen - Bad digital board? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 06-27-11, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

HL-T5676SX/XAA - Black Screen - Bad digital board?

Hi

I have a HL-T5676SX/XAA - and I have what appears to be a totally black screen with very faint white "smudges" visible. No picture on any input, no audio, no menus. Lamp is working, ballast is working, color wheel working. No flashing indicator lights on front (other than typical ones on startup)

The "smudges" look like this...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/IMG_0486.jpg

At first I thought that the white smudges were part of the "white dot syndrome" that I've heard a lot about, but upon more research, I can see that it is something different. Having eliminated the lamp, the ballast and the color wheel as issues, and fairly sure the light engine is functioning - I am left with several choices - it's either a DMD problem (or DLP Chip Problem), a main (digital) board problem, or a power board problem.

I'm fairly sure it's not a power board problem.

I am beginning to form a theory. When I look at the screen in a completely dark room - i can see that it's NOT completely black - aside from the white smudges. There is a very faint black grainy-ness to it, which says to me, perhaps, that the light projector and DMD are working, but are just getting no signal.

I can see that in the light engine, there is a fair amount of dust on the curved mirror inside. I'm now wondering if that is the cause of the white smudges, and it's NOT a symptom of the problem, but rather something that is only visible because there is no signal coming to it - in other words, it's projecting - but it's just projecting black.

SO - I'm starting to think this is a main (digital) board problem. Since I can't see any menus, can't hear any audio on any input, and can't see anything on any input, (much less that I'm changing inputs since I can't see anything) is it possible that it's the main board? (Part # BP41-00310A)

As a test of this theory - if it were the DMD board and NOT the digital board, wouldn't I still be able to hear audio on the inputs?

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice anyone has!

Last edited by bmar; 06-27-11 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-11, 09:32 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: HL-T5676SX/XAA - Black Screen - Bad digital board?

Service menu work at all? My guess would be digital board but it is hard to tell. You can monitor the signal lines on the dvi connection to the DMD board for activity with a scope.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-11, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

No - no menus visible at all...nothing. But again, as I mentioned before, when the room is totally dark, I can see that the screen is "on" it's just black. So do I take the gamble and order the digital board?

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-11, 10:40 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Personally, I would be doing more troubleshooting to determine where the problem is rather than risking changing boards. What most people do not understand is that the probability of getting a defective replacement board is very high these days. You can spend a lot of money, not really conclude correctly what the problem is, then fight with the vendor to get credit.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-14, 08:30 PM

I know this is a long shot because this is a really old thread, but did the OP ever find out what was wrong the the tv set? I am having the exact same issue, screen looks exactly like the one in the link, but am having trouble finding any definitive solutions.

Thanks for the help and sorry about bumping such an old thread, but this is the closest I have found to someone having the same issue as mine.

Thanks!