HLR5667W TV blinking front TIMER/LAMP and Standby lights - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-12, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

HLR5667W TV blinking front TIMER/LAMP and Standby lights

My HLR5667W won't start.

When I start, it makes some noise and then usual Samsung startup noise folloed by high pitch noise and blinking lamp sign. It goes on for a minute and does the same cycle again for few times and then all I see three front signs blinking.

Not sure, if I should spend too much $$$ fixing it or just get a new TV. I just changed bulb about 3 months ago. I opened the back and checked lamp and it seems to be fine. Haven't checked anything else.

Any help to figure out what's wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jayesh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-12, 10:12 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: HLR5667W TV blinking front TIMER/LAMP and Standby lights

Does the high pitched noise sound mechanical? Color wheel? Or maybe you are just hearing the ballast firing. Take the back off and see if there is a spark gap on the ballast lighting up when the noise occurs and listen for where it comes from.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-12, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Does the high pitched noise sound mechanical? Color wheel? Or maybe you are just hearing the ballast firing. Take the back off and see if there is a spark gap on the ballast lighting up when the noise occurs and listen for where it comes from.
So is it OK to turn the TV on when the back is off? I will try that tonight.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-12, 05:20 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Don't look directly at light coming from the lamp if it lights up as it has a high UV content. You will need to close the safety switch on the back cover to get it to try to start. BE VERY CAREFUL!

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-12, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Don't look directly at light coming from the lamp if it lights up as it has a high UV content. You will need to close the safety switch on the back cover to get it to try to start. BE VERY CAREFUL!
My TV is in such a corner, I have to disconnect fully and relocate if I want to remote full back panel; I will try today with help of my kids.

Before I do that, I just tried to see what lights I can see in the back. I don't think lamp lights up at all but I see some green light coming up behind DMD Board (I used video to identify DMD board ...on youtube but I can't put a link since I am a new member)to identify what is it called at 1:09 minute)for few seconds and then shutting it down ...this happens 3 times along with other symptoms I explained before front 3 lights starts blinking ..and that's about it.

Please let me know, if this gives you any hint on what could be wrong.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-12, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

One more thing ..looking at other threads, it sounds like a problem with a color wheel. What would be the best/quick way to confirm that color wheel is bad?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-12, 07:12 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The color wheel has to spin up and lock on speed before the lamp enable line will allow the ballast to fire. Listen to it. If you hear loud squealing or scraping, or if you don't hear it turning, it is likely bad. If you look into the light path you should be able to see it and see if there are any broken segments. When a color wheel starts up it will spin up to a high speed then back off a bit as the servo locks. Then the lamp will fire.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
The color wheel has to spin up and lock on speed before the lamp enable line will allow the ballast to fire. Listen to it. If you hear loud squealing or scraping, or if you don't hear it turning, it is likely bad. If you look into the light path you should be able to see it and see if there are any broken segments. When a color wheel starts up it will spin up to a high speed then back off a bit as the servo locks. Then the lamp will fire.
Thanks a lot. I have TV disconnected and at a place where I can open back panel and try few things. Hopefully, it's just color wheel.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 06:35 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

It does take some care and delicate assembly to replace a color wheel. Not a hard job if you are good with assembling something complex exactly the way it came apart and are good with your hands but you do have to be careful.