Sealed 3.9ft^3 Tumult Project - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Sealed 3.9ft^3 Tumult Project

Hey guys...I just an an awesome deal on a Tumult driver and have to put it to some use for the living room. Currently in the living room I have the Veodyne dps-10 subwoofer reviewed here. Needless to say, the Tumult will be a substatial improvement with just 500 watts of power...nothing overkill but definitely potent. My Rythmik Servo as a result of me re-doing the internal acoustic stuffing looks as good as ever. Here is my latest graph taken from listening position in my den in its most musical setting (28hz extension mode, high damping)
It sounds absolutely perfect now. This is staying in the den

Now, for the living room I need something with just a bit more output than the Rythmik can provide. The living room is roughly 20'x20' with 9.5' ceilings...enough to not necessarily swallow my 1 sealed 12"er, but enough to kill any chances of room pressurization.

At this point. I am considering the Oaudio 500watt amp. At $240 it looks like a good deal, especially with the adjustable Q...and i guess it would be cool to have a subsonic filter for movies like WOTW to avoid any tinsel slap issues. Here is what I am expecting anechoically

Anyway, thought i'd let you guys know about my latest project I'll keep you guys/gals informed

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 09:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Re: Sealed 3.5ft^3 Tumult Project

Very cool! Did you get it used?

Jim
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 01:10 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I've always heard those Tumults were the bomb!

Nice response .... wicked!

post #4 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 02:23 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
I've always heard those Tumults were the bomb!
It looks like more than the bomb from that graph.

It doesn't appear to be giving up at all even at 10Hz. I wonder where it stops... 9, 8, 7, 6, 5...?

brucek
post #5 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Thanks Sonnie! But believe me, with this above measured FR I have nowhere near the amount of headroom an IB would provide

Jim, Yeah the Tumult is used. It exhibits the Tinsel slap issue when pushed really hard (~117db).But hey, for $100 plus $30 shipping (-$15 because the guy was nice enough to cover half of the shipping charge) I couldn't go wrong... I only plan to power it 500 watts and with a 3.5ft^3 to 4ft^3 enclosure I should have a nice and low system Q while not even taxing all available Xmax. I was suggested against using a subsonic filter being as it's sealed the enclosure size and amp power pretty much protect the driver from over excursion. The ex-owner fed it 1200watts via Behringer Ep1500 bridged.

Here is some driver history:
...no, not really, once there is enough slack in the tinsels you would only have the tinsel slap to deal with...maybe a downfiring orientation would solve some of the problem...if you keep the driver at around 100dB of output it should be good to go. Again, i can tell you that during a movie, even as close as 3 meters, you will not hear the slap....Me and my wife have been watching movies at -30 to -25 and peaks between 100-106 dB and it's still a visceral experience...i just don't run it up to 117 anymore...

post #6 of 65 Old 07-21-06, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Another alternative would be to go vented. 200liters tuned to 16hz
The Oaudio amp would come in handy here as it has a built-in adjustable subsonic filter which looks like it should be set to around 14hz to stay away from Xmax.

post #7 of 65 Old 07-22-06, 11:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

I'll definitely recommend an LLT for all the reasons I've mentioned in the past. Howvere, if you're going to do it, do it right I'm looking at 350 liters with a 6" diameter port that is 25-29" in length for a tuning range between ~14.5-13.6hz. Were it me, I'd also ditch the plate amp and go with a beefy pro amp that can deliver 500-750 watts, as I still have yet to hear from any LLT owner using a quality driver and no high pass filter about it bottoming. The circumstances for such an occurrence would have to be so extreme due to such low tuning and such high efficiency down low that it just isn't something one has to worry about. It is something to worry about with sealed because you won't have as much low end output and you will probably need to boost the low end to keep the response flat, eating up more excursion. 600 watts looks good, so I'd suggest what I'm using, a Carvin HD1800. A Behringer EP2500 would also work with 750 watts, but the fan noise is louder.

Anyway, if you can handle the size, I really don't see any possible benefit of going sealed in this case. Join the LLT brotherhood, we have a warm seat waiting for you

Last edited by SteveCallas; 07-22-06 at 11:59 AM.
post #8 of 65 Old 07-22-06, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Yeah, LLT does look good in this case. As I mentioned to you Steve, I have a good deal going on an EP1500 now ($150). But in order to get anywhere near 750 watts from this I'd have to run it mono, which would put me well over 1000 watts lol. Scary. May end up getting the EP2500 to be safe.

post #9 of 65 Old 07-28-06, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Okay LLT looks great, but considering my 10"er kicks some serious tail in the living room there is definitely a chance I'll be satisfied with Tumult powered by maybe 850 watts in a sealed 3.5ft^3 enclosure. That'll be good for about 107db @ 20 hz max SPL anechoic.
This is what has me a tad bit worried

I'll try getting a Behringer EP2500 so I can feed it a definite 750watts which would probably keep the driver away from over excursion in the super low frequencies.

post #10 of 65 Old 08-01-06, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster