Sealed test enclosure - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 114 Old 11-17-09, 08:06 PM
Senior Shackster
Fred

Re: Sealed test enclosure

REW is ridiculously easy once its set up. You can start off with a radioshack meter and an internal sound card if you don't have a lot of extra cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 11-18-09, 02:15 AM
Banned!
Ryan

its just crazy how bad the mic has been trashed for years in 12V since the Term Lab. our driver's aren't very accurate, and the mic is a driver
post #93 of 114 Old 11-18-09, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Termlab is a completely different tool. If you want to know accurate total SPL levels at over 160db then obviously a tiny little speaker (the mic) is going to be getting thrashed at that level. Home audio is more concerned with linear response and details below 120db. I don't think a Term lab is going to tell you how much 3rd harmonic distortion you have with a 5khz tone at 65db.

post #94 of 114 Old 11-27-09, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Further refinement of the response. I adjusted the phase match with the mains a little more and used a DCX to lessen the 46hz room peak some. I didn't go too crazy with it because I tried not to affect the rest of the response around the 46hz peak too much.

Before and after main listening position.

7 listening position average before and after

post #95 of 114 Old 11-27-09, 09:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Looks great mate

Thanks for sharing.

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #96 of 114 Old 11-30-09, 10:47 AM
Senior Shackster
Raven

Wow, that looks like a lot of work. I need to take measurements and get an EQ. I'm afraid of what I'm going to see, as I have an in room resonance at 45hz as well.
post #97 of 114 Old 11-30-09, 11:22 AM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Thanks for sharing!

Not too shabby for only two subs, but rooms are 3D and typically just square or rectangular boxes, so it's the third (and occasionally the fourth) one mounted up high at around 1/3 or 2/3 (first approximation) ceiling height that typically smooths it out, reducing (and in some cases, eliminating) the need for DSP.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #98 of 114 Old 12-23-09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Here's the current FR at the main listening position using the standard HTS SPL scale with a big EQ cut at 46hz to knock down a big room resonance. No smoothing. I'm still waiting to get my 2nd PL9.0 amplifier back from QSC so I can run the other 2 subs. Hopefully that will even things out a little more and combat that 12hz suckout.

Here's the same graph using the scale I normally use. It makes things look much worse due to the tighter 5db division scale.

Here's the waterfall. Actually it's not too bad considering that I use levels up around 95db to get up out of the noise floor. You can still see the 46hz ring in there. I might have to bass trap that...

post #99 of 114 Old 12-24-09, 03:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Raven

What about those blobs at 25Hz and below? Is that something to worry about? Something you can do anything about?

I'm not fully aware of how to read waterfalls, but I think my 21" reads better then yours, but I have a mess below 25HZ as well
post #100 of 114 Old 12-25-09, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

The waterfall is showing the decay times of the sound in your room. Mine has a main issue at 46hz. That's ringing but it's not a big concern down there below 25hz mainly just above that in the music bass range. You want to have a quick and even decay if you can. Your room is probably better than mine. I wouldn't worry too much about anything below 30hz.