Sealed test enclosure - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 114 Old 07-28-09, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Sealed test enclosure

More progress is being made. I'll post some pics up tonight. I've got the baffles and backs done and mounted up. I'll be putting a 1/2" roundover on the cabs tonight. From there I have to seal up the inside, install the weatherstripping, install lining, put the handles on, install the speakons and figure out what I'm going to do for bracing the back panel. It must be removable to match the back panel. I've got an idea but until I actually try it... After all of that gets done it'll be time to start on the second pair of cabs. I should get done with those about this time next year. At this point I've got about 5years worth of projects I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 114 Old 07-28-09, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Updates...

post #43 of 114 Old 07-28-09, 11:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looking good! What subs are you planning on trying out?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #44 of 114 Old 07-29-09, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

These are going to end up housing XXX 18's long term. One sealed in each enclosure. A total of 4 of em powered off of 2 QSC PL9.0's. It should be about 3250w per driver. My 220v 50A line for those is being run on Friday. I've had all of the drivers and the 2 amps for almost a year now. It'll probably take me another year to get the whole thing up and running.

However I plan on using these to do some port, stuffing, lining, bracing, dual opposed and driver tests as well. I should be able to clear up to a 21" driver past the baffle mounting bolts. A 22" may take some ingenuity if I ever wanted to do that. 9 cu ft net should be enough space to test most 15-21" drivers sealed, or most 12-15's ported.
post #45 of 114 Old 07-29-09, 05:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Marce

Good job! What size are those wood braces? 2" x 2"?
post #46 of 114 Old 07-29-09, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Yep standard 2x2 which is actually more like 1.5 x 1.5.
post #47 of 114 Old 09-05-09, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Further progress. The first 2 enclosures are done and I've started on the second set. They should go a lot quicker because I know what I'm doing this time. I ended up using roll on Duplicolor truck bed liner on them. I tried to use the spray on stuff but it just wasn't working and would've cost a fortune. I've also got the 220v lines for the amplifiers installed.

post #48 of 114 Old 09-05-09, 10:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The cabinets are looking good and those XXX's always look impressive. Teaching the little guy from a young age, eh?

We're all in this together!

post #49 of 114 Old 09-05-09, 11:46 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

What's so special about the XXX 18 besides the 54mm Xmax, high power handling, and the 15.60hz resonance frequency? Does it have really low distortion like the LMS 18's? I just don't really see why it's worth $1500+ at some places. Is it really that good?

By the way, nice looking boxes. Looking foward to some results
post #50 of 114 Old 09-06-09, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

You sort of answered your own question Dylan. Ruggedness, power handling, low end extension without EQ, low distortion, uncompressed deep bass dynamics, etc. I got mine for $700-$850.