Sealed test enclosure - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 114 Old 09-06-09, 12:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: Sealed test enclosure

That's cool.
I will have to admit; the 54mm Xmax is really cool. Is the p2p Xmax around 3 inches also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 114 Old 09-06-09, 02:56 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Mercy! If BW limited down low in a BP4 to maximize cab efficiency, in a sim using the same net Vb as a max flat sealed alignment it outputs ~ as much as a Servo-Drive Contrabass for < the cost of a clapped out used one (~$1 k on average), though at a considerable expense in increased cab size (~27.4 ft^3 + vent Vp Vs ~10 ft^3)! If true, then from sad experience I know this thing is literally a potential house wrecker.

GM
Attached Thumbnails
Sealed test enclosure-re-xxx-18-closed-bp4-comparison.gif  

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #53 of 114 Old 09-08-09, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Yes. They are house wreckers. My single ported one does scary things all on it's own. All 4 of the sealed ones together should be relaxed with anything I throw at them.

post #54 of 114 Old 09-10-09, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

I figured that I would post a few pictures of the first 2 cabs in their temporary abode that they will be staying at while I attempt to get the room at home and the other 2 cabinets completed. I forgot to take any pics of them all finished until I had already dragged them up to the rehearsal space and put them in place! I'm not the brightest sometimes. Anyhoo...

post #55 of 114 Old 09-10-09, 08:12 PM
Senior Shackster

robert

Hey Josh,

Those dudes look right at home. The cabs look really good. Very beefy. The cabs must be way more solid than the one you had a few months back. The baffle is very thick, di you double up on the sides and back?

Looking good.

Robert
post #56 of 114 Old 09-11-09, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

Hey Rob. I left the sides, bottom and top a single thickness still, The baffle and back are thicker. Even still these are a lot more thoroughly braced and heavier than the one I had at the GTG. I haven't put the hammer down on them yet, to see whether I can get them to walk across the room.
post #57 of 114 Old 09-11-09, 07:24 PM
Senior Shackster

robert

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Hey Rob. I left the sides, bottom and top a single thickness still, The baffle and back are thicker. Even still these are a lot more thoroughly braced and heavier than the one I had at the GTG. I haven't put the hammer down on them yet, to see whether I can get them to walk across the room.

If you bounce them in the spot they are in, it is going to be like a set of maracas.
post #58 of 114 Old 09-16-09, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

I've been playing with these the last couple of days. No bouncing on these cabs yet Robert. The extra weight and bracing seemed to help out a lot. I ran Bass I Love You through them at literal pants flapping level a couple of times and also ran Jurassic Lunch and Bass Mekanik's Toccata and Fugue a couple of times as well. I also used a bunch of pink noise, music and straight up mic'd kick drum. I'm trying to break these drivers in. This pair has been sitting in their shipping containers vertically for over a year and who knows how long before that, so the suspension needs a good stretching to knock the dust off and re-center it. I nearly tripped the breaker on Bass I Love You. The lights dimmed horribly. You can only get so much out of a 120v 30A line. I need to run third leg for this room.
post #59 of 114 Old 09-16-09, 03:49 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

I'm envious that you have a room/house/whatever that can handle the pressure!

BTW, tried any of these uncompressed recordings? Don't have a clue how they compare to the bass centric ones since I trashed my place too quick with pipe organ symphonies and a couple of movies before I could try any of them.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #60 of 114 Old 09-16-09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Josh

I sure have enjoyed those recordings GM. Just not on these in this room yet. The Finale is one of my favorites. I also like the train recordings. The fact that you can hear so much of the natural surroundings (cicada's, bugs flying around, squeeks, air releasing) is really cool.