First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Re: First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112

I prefer sealed, but that requires enough power to overcome the spring, but then again I haven't heard a truly remarkable driver in a ported enclosure. Honestly, I would rather have much more articulation and clarity for music above 20hz then I have a need for the rumble zone. You can do the rumble zone just get more sealed drivers..

Seriously, my sealed sub shakes so much stuff in my house its rather ridiculous, I'm not sure how much more shaking I need in that small bedroom. tons of room gain. Even the JL is good for that.

I'm almost done with box 2, here are some pics... 2 more 15's to go This one I added a rear brace to firm up that long back wall, upon inspection of the last one, I could feel some flex running all out, which I didn't care for, so I will be taking the first one apart tonight to add in a brace. Makes me feel better as its going to a new home in the next couple days.

BTW Phil.... you make me sick with that pic of that LMS....
I would love a few of those laying around my house... I'm Jealous

Last edited by Warpdrv; 11-16-08 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 05:02 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

LOL, Listen Warp . . . . . when push comes to shove it's nice to have one of those Bragging rights things but during normal listening schedules I'll bet the only difference you'd notice between yours and mine would be the "beer and ketchup stains" . . . . . on mine !
That TC 2000 sure does look handsome in your cabinet with the big shoulders. Well done.
post #13 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Your being modest... seeing as I have the same problem with my car where I can't keep the throttle pedal at a moderate setting, the same goes with my volume control.... seems to always find itself roaming towards the upper limits more then not....

Well I have to say I agree, during normal listening they do sound spectacular... and jumping back and forth between the DIY and the F112, no one would be the wiser... In the famous words of McDonalds... "I'm Lovin It !!"

post #14 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 10:56 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Back in July of this year Ilkka tested the LMS 5400 in a 200L box, my box is 190L. I use a Crown XTi 4000 amp. If I EQ the bottom end, I use up all the power in the amp very quickly. The DSP and EQ of the XTi is a lot of fun. You can make the driver/box combination sound like the ultimate boom box or level the FR and bring up the low end to make CDs and DVD movies sound outstanding.
And you're right about testing the SPL limits, occasionally I'll hit the accelerator when I'm alone in the house, just as a reminder to myself why you pay almost $900 bucks for one of those dam drivers.
post #15 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Well it seems that I have tried to build a sub to compete with my F112, building my sealed TC-2000, but I haven't so far introduced an EQ to boost that upper bass to get the TC into the realm of the JL, so I decided to combine the efforts of both subs.... I picked up a couple of splitters and I'm running both and it is truly the best bass I have ever heard. A good friend of mine was over today, he has been part of a high end dealer here in the area for a while and we both agreed, going back and forth, switching subs and then finally combining them it was absolutely out of this world.

I am running both of them together and all I can say is WOW , the combination of the natural deep reaching power the TC has in addition to the better upper bass handling of the F112, its a match made in heaven...

I think I may just have to keep them both in here... I was measuring 125db until I finally dialed them down to 4-5 db hot from the mains..

My own personal version of the Gotham...?

Last edited by Warpdrv; 11-16-08 at 11:21 AM.
post #16 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 07:23 PM
Senior Shackster
Chris

Well, it's not like you're using any extra floor space by stacking them, so if you don't have any strong urge to sell it, and it makes you happy, keep it!
post #17 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Hehheeh aint that the truth...

Now I have to come up with a plan so that TC doesn't stick out like such a soar thumb...

Guess I'll have to work on a Piano Black paint scheme to match or Rosewood veneer to match the mains...
And I guess its time to get to work on that magnetic grill....

Black or Rosewood... Vote..?
post #18 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 08:01 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I vote Birkenstock.
post #19 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 09:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Marce

Nice review on both subs, I'm looking for a TS Sounds (Audiopulse Revo) 15" myself for the sealed build I finished, to go along with a LT1300 plate amp and ED EQ2 which I already have. I've heard a lot of positive feedback from you and other forum members on this driver. I have a forum going on now here regarding the revo.
I think if you feed that sub more power, it will do even better. I think it will take 1500w with no problem.
post #20 of 51 Old 11-11-08, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

I'm already feeding my 2000's 2500w..... I have a feeling the 3000's will take double that and then some... sealed...

Last edited by Warpdrv; 11-11-08 at 11:28 PM.