First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112 - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 51 Old 11-12-08, 12:34 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Re: First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112

125db's... wow I'm a little jealous

I actually think that with a bit of varnish the finish on the DIY sub would look better than the JL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 11-15-08, 11:23 PM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

I vote for matching the rosewood of your Paradigms.

Oh, and I am the buddy warpdrv built the first subwoofer for. It's shake my roof! It doesn't get much better than this...well, unless I had two.
post #23 of 51 Old 11-16-08, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Welcome aboard Brandon.... Glad to see you pop over here from time to time...

I suppose I will put up some more build pics of the TC-2000..... In case anyone is interested
Just finishing one of the Maelstrom Boxes today, will start gluing up the second tomorrow, but they will sit empty until next month when Kevin gets them sent out...

post #24 of 51 Old 11-16-08, 12:13 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Thanks for the pix Warp. The whole thread gives a person a pretty good idea of what kind of thinking goes into a project and just how simple it can be. A simple sealed box with braces mated to a high quality driver produces a top performing subwoofer.
post #25 of 51 Old 11-16-08, 12:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Quote:
Warpdrv wrote: View Post
Welcome aboard Brandon.... Glad to see you pop over here from time to time...
Thank you. This website is king for those looking to get into DIY.

I just wanted to add that warpdrv and I ended up using a 1/4" thick, 3/4" wide foam/rubber weather stripping around the opening in the front baffle to ensure a proper seal. 1/4" thick ended up being the perfect thickness and allows the driver to be flush mount. You can also put the tape on the edge of the driver itself if you want to, but for us it was easier to put it on the front baffle opening. I think it worked out very very well.

It was similar to this, but a little heftier and about twice the price. You want a material that doesn't smash down easily when you touch it, which is why a rubber/foam combo worked well. Ace Hardware also sells a similar product which works very well.
post #26 of 51 Old 11-16-08, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the pix Warp. The whole thread gives a person a pretty good idea of what kind of thinking goes into a project and just how simple it can be. A simple sealed box with braces mated to a high quality driver produces a top performing subwoofer.
Thanks Phil....

That was my intention to give some form of documentation of the build along the way so people aren't so scared as to whats involved. One certainly doesn't need all the expensive equipment I have for woodworking, but it sure is easier. a handful of different clamps is nice to have available.

NeoDan has a Nice Cut Sheet for the Maelstrom http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...omCutSheet.jpg which makes very efficient use of a 4x8 sheet of your choice of material. I just subtracted 4 inches to make my 20"x20"x20" cube for the TC.

I purchased a less expensive 4x4 sheet of regular 3/4 ply for some added bracing. Maybe it was a bit overkill, but it only adds a couple pounds and they don't displace that much more area, yet yields a substantially more inert box. Final weight of the Box with driver was about 80-85lbs or so

Last edited by Warpdrv; 11-16-08 at 02:05 PM.
post #27 of 51 Old 11-16-08, 06:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Good to see someone going out on a limb and being honest about such a comparison. I'm glad you're "lovin it", but just imagine if you put that TC2k in a 320 liter LLT. Performance above 30hz would be identical to how it behaves now, but instead of having to use EQ to boost up the low end, you'd be getting it for free, and with signifcantly less distortion.

From your posts, I guess you'll pass at the moment. But I'll give it about 3-6 months.....at that point the initial wow factor will have worn down a bit and you'll more seriously consider the improvement in performance the LLT will yield

post #28 of 51 Old 11-17-08, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Thanks Steve, That was my original design plan, but I just can't see those huge boxes in my house, so I searched for a viable, acceptable alternative, and overcoming those output issues with more drivers is acceptable to me. But we'll see.... this is in the end a hobby - and ultimately the only thing that would be lost here is the cost of the wood and my time, and the gain for me is knowledge and experience as well as impressions of the differences in both designs. Nothing lost by testing IMO.

It is very likely I will down the road implement one of those TC2K's into a ported cab, for testing purposes.
post #29 of 51 Old 12-12-08, 08:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

I just thought I'd post an update. I took an in-room response without EQ of the subwoofer using a 60, 70 and 80Hz crossover to my SongTower RT's. My room is not the greatest for sure, but it's not terrible consider I'm not using EQ. Or is it? You tell me.

80Hz Crossover

So, please enlighten experts. I'll be get getting an EQ sometime next year, for what's it's worth.

Last edited by Nuance; 12-13-08 at 09:23 PM. Reason: removed the 60 and 70Hz responses
post #30 of 51 Old 12-13-08, 02:39 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I'm not an expert but for a 90L sealed box with no EQ I'd say that in-room response is just plain GOOD. You are only dropping about 12db from the top of that hump at 45hz to 50hz as you go down to 16hz! With a (little) EQ you could get that flat or even boost it if you want. I'm impressed.