First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112

I posted this over at AVS but I thought for the greater good its worth its merits here as well.

Well last night was the night..... dropped in the driver and sealed it up and brought the sub and amp up to my bedroom and ran with it....
Equipment
Paradigm Sig S4's
D-Sonic 500w/channel Ice amp
JL Audio F112
DIY TC-Sounds 15" TC2000 / QSC PLX2 - 2502 (3/4" Baltic Birch 13 Ply Plywood) based off NeoDans Maelstrom CutSheet modifyied, thanks Dan, 20"^3 with extra brace to beef er up. I bought this driver off Willd for Brandon/Nuance. Thanks Will, Its really quite the performer.
Final internal volume is 3.3 cu. ft. or 93.4 Liters ( .14 for driver, .15 for bracing)

Brandon was over here, we were going back and forth between the JL F112 and the 15" TC2000..... In comparison, the TC2K is an extremely capable sub.... I am very very impressed. The F112 is also needless to say a very articulate sub, manufactured to be one of the best subs I have heard especially for music.
The ARO single band EQ on the F112 was disabled to keep the playing field equal.
First thoughts, the F112 has a touch better upper bass handling and performance, but they are so very close its hard to tell the difference, I had Brandon fooled a couple of times with the blind testing, where he thought he picked out the F112, but it was the TC. On the other hand the F112 struggles a bit more in the lower hz range compared to the TC, some of the deep tracks we were running the "David Gilmour - Live at Royal Albert" track is "Time" second song in, the bass here is near overwhelming and shakes everything in my room and this side of the house.... unbelievable... We were replaying that track multiple times with the F112 hitting 119db and the TC 120db... it seams the TC is amp limited here running at max output with the clip lights just barely coming on - on the QSC PLX2 - 2502. I know it could handle more power - but I can't say I am dissapointed here whatsoever... Amazing to say the least. We also ran through multiple musical tracks from Joe Satriani and others, judging performance I know the JL is awesome with everything I have thrown at it, the TC matches everything easily, and with EQ will be even better down low, not that its lacking, but a little EQ down low, and add in some boost in the upper bass I am thrilled to death. I have never measured my room nor did I feel the need with the JL, but I plan to bring my
SMS in here to see whats going on, and add some boost to the low end rumble zone.
Brandon had a serious grin on his face....
In comparison, the F112 has an entrance fee of over $2000.00, and the full build out for the TC was around $650-$700 with the Behringer EP2500 amp and materials. To be fair, the F112 does things not many 12" drivers are capable of doing, and it does it very well, Kudos to JL for making an incredible all in one product that has few rivals in such a pint size product. I have no regrets buying this sub, but knowing what I know now, to me I personally can't hardly justify the difference in price, so I could easily sell the JL and get a good chunk of my money back and feel no regrets... I have grown to love superior SQ and output that the F112 provides, it would be really hard for me to give it up. Next up, 2 more of the same sealed TC2000's, and 2 18" Maelstroms for my great room, to replace my dual SVS PB12-Plus/2's.

Regards

Patrick

Sorry for the Iphone Pics, but you get the point...

Last edited by Warpdrv; 12-13-08 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Re: First Sub finished TC-2000 Sealed vs JL F112

Great write up! It's amazing how a little bit or research and work in the garage can get you absolute top notch performance. Most audio enthusiasts would kill for a J112 and you've got it trumped for less than half it's price. Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Thanks thxgoon..... You've said it, and when you say a little bit of work, you mean it... I had that birch ply cut up and it was 2-3 days of on and off glue and wait, and I work 11 hour days. To make something that will easily match the performance of the F112 or F113 as cheap as this build was, still puts a serious smile on my face....

post #4 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 06:03 PM
Shackster

SBF1

Good job Warp!

What finnish is being used for the end result?

SBF1
post #5 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 06:12 PM
Shackster

SBF1

Oh yea, the next time I visit my brother in Ripon I'll just find the epicenter of the quake and ring the doorbell so we can meet.

SBF1
post #6 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Warp

Quote:
STRONGBADF1 wrote: View Post
Good job Warp!
What finnish is being used for the end result?
SBF1
Thanks Strongbad... I have put off and wavered with my build strategies for way too long, but now I am on a rampage !!!!
This sub is for my buddy, who's second child has just arrived, he's young, so I sprung for the entire build, he is going to pay me back, so his final decision on finish is unknown to me, he suggested painting, but he just got some new Salk Songtowers with Ribbon tweeter in a exotic rosewood finish, I wanted to work on matching that finish, but for now, he is gunna run it naked...

Quote:
STRONGBADF1 wrote: View Post
Oh yea, the next time I visit my brother in Ripon I'll just find the epicenter of the quake and ring the doorbell so we can meet.
SBF1
PM me when and if you are in the area, my zip is 53092, you are welcome anytime...
post #7 of 51 Old 11-06-08, 11:35 PM
Shackster

SBF1

Well I only visit in the warm months.....say July and August....and thats saying something being from Pennsylvania...

If I get up there my wife and boy will have to put up with us.

anyway I need a new sub and have been kicking around DIY...

we'll see.

SBF1
post #8 of 51 Old 11-08-08, 01:56 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Interesting comparison wrpdrv. The DIY community has known for a long time it could keep up and best the top commercial subwoofers . . . . and save money in the process.
Yes, add some EQ to that home built of yours . . . . then you'll see.
post #9 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 06:14 AM
Shackster
Matthew

Very interesting and exciting to hear how the TC-2000 compares to one of the best musical subs out there. I have a pair of Audiopulse Revo 15's that I need to build enclosures for. Any thoughts on LLT vs. sealed in terms of sound quality?
post #10 of 51 Old 11-09-08, 07:16 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
mjbuoni wrote: View Post
Any thoughts on LLT vs. sealed in terms of sound quality?
If you read enough threads re: LLTs and EQed sealed subs I think you'll find that the owners don't separate the two types by sound quality, rather by how much effortless power there is available in the 5HZ to 30HZ region.
I rate the sound "quality" equal between the two.