IXL-18.2.2 Sealed - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 66 Old 12-11-08, 10:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: IXL-18.2.2 Sealed

Reckhorn A-402 is 290 watts into 4 ohms. That won't power the sub to it's potential. The EP1500 would do nicely. It would provide a 5 db gain from 20 hz to 80 hz over the A-402. It doesn't have a subsonic filter so you'll need an add on unit set to 14 hz to protect the sub from over excursion at the lower frequencies. Reckhorn has a bass management system called the B1, an excellent unit for your needs. Over here it's about $100, not sure if it's available to you there or what the price might be. Check with whoever is selling the Reckhorn A-402, they may be able to supply it.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 Old 12-14-08, 08:10 AM
Shackster
db_bloke

Shogo, I guess you're in OZ as you quote prices in A$, not sure if Syd / Mel or somewhere else. I managed to get my EP2500 for A$490 from djwarehouse in Melbourne, at the time the web price was A$510. Seems to be A$550 now and A$470 for the 1500, but as always they are negotiable. I'd give em a call and offer $500 or something. I think the extra headroom and lower distortion from pushing an amp less hard worth a few dollars. Not sure if the 2500 has more features as well..?
That said, this reckford amp (A$450) does have eq built in, but doesn't seem to have any balls. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do for EQ'ing my system. I might have a look round some other forums.
post #13 of 66 Old 12-14-08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

G'day mate!
Melb guy from Mulgrave here! Thats the best price i've seen with an EP2500. Will give them a call today and try to haggle on something reasonable. Just a question though, as i've been following your build. Are you gonna run your sub in 4ohms bridged though (aka 2400w) from the EP2500? If so, isnt the overexcursion gonna be too high for the IXL 18? I've plotted the simulation via WinISD in a 120L sealed box using 2400w and anything below 45hz its pushing it over the 0.85 threshold incrementally. I'm assuming here that you are using the 30hz high pass filter setting on the amp to drop the curve and prevent overexcursion?

Yeah, if the Reckhorn had at least 750w then it would be ideal as it does have good EQ controls on it. Mike P did suggest a cheapish alternative to EQ, Reckhorn does make a standalone EQ unit called the B-1, but i havent seen it being sold over here, but i can drop an email to Darcher Audio, (who stocks Reckhorn) to see if they can order it in. It should set us back around A$200 i think.

Otherwise, maybe we can get the Behringer Feedback Destroyer whom most ppl on this forum uses for around the same price, circa $250. But it seems like a more complex unit to use and configure.

post #14 of 66 Old 12-14-08, 06:46 PM
Shackster
db_bloke

Hi, glad to help a fellow aussie on my price findings. I'm in Collingwood. I might look into the B1 unit.
The EP2500 puts out about 1900 real watts (see my other post), but there isn't a lot of difference between 1kw and 1900w, about 2db in theory. You need to square the input power to increase SPL by 3db and that's only in theory, real world is less as I understand it.

In answer to your QN, I plan to run the amp hopefully in stereo. I'll be giving each coil 800w or close to it at 20hz if I run it flat out. Did you see my other link on wiring subs (the 12 volt).

My sealed cube is 107l total (after speaker & bracing). I'm modeling with a LPF LWR at 40hz assuming I work out some kind of EQ (it might change).
With 1000w I get 22mm at 16.92hz, 111db 30hz, 107db 20hz!
With 1900w 30mm at around 17hz, 113db 30hz, 109db 20hz.
With 1600w I get 30mm at 10hz, 112db 30hz, 109db 20hz.
Not a huge difference, the figures look safe to me assuming you ignore xmax of 22mm. In practice though?

Hopefully 112db will do, although not THX, there is still room gain to add which can be up to 10db or so.
And yeah, potentially 120db at 20hz without room gain, that's quite loud.
I hope you have a brick house as you're going for a more adventurous design? Mine probably won't be worked on until after Christmas now, otherwise you could come round and have a listen.
Stuff really will rattle and the missus may kill you, I think the house should stay intact. I've only ever managed to loosen pictures from walls myself. IB systems look fun though

Last edited by db_bloke; 12-14-08 at 06:52 PM.
post #15 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Ok. As much as I would love to build a ported design sub as planned, i'm gonna proceed with my original build with a sealed 107L design as recommended by WinISD. Reason is that i want to test to see if this would suit me better with consideration to the missus and neighbourhood. If i feel that its not loud enough, then i'll build a ported box next year. Also, as this is my first build and I currently only have a 12inch Dayton DVC with a PE 250w (bought from a kit 6 yrs ago from LSK) powered sub for music and HT, i know this build will be a major step up from my current sub .

Got my order through to Bunnings and got a sheet of 2400mm x 1200mm x 1inch MDF. Got them to cut it so that I can build a 22 inch cube (similar to DB_Bloke's design.. thanks mate ) Will have to pick it up after work today. Cost is $56.80 plus $1 per cut, therefore I got quoted $75.

Also picked up some tools from there. These are cheapies and probably not the best, but they'll get the job done:
- Ryobi Single hand router ($90)
- MDF glue ($7)
- Router bits kit ($20)
- Clamps..clamps..clamps.. ouch! 6 x $30 ($180)
- Silicone sealant (to minimise air leakage) ($5)
- wood putty to fill in any gaps from mdf cuts ($5)
- veneer tape rolls (pine) 5 x $10 ($50)
- 1 IXL 8.2.2 driver ($349)
- 14 AWG speaker wire (1m) - $6
- Banana plugs speaker terminal ($8)

Total cost so far = $795. I havent bought the external amp yet but still considering either the EP1500 or EP2500. Crown and Peavey amps are out of my price range but with the Behringer unit, i'm still contemplating how loud the fan will be even after the fan mod. Assuming that the EP2500 is $550 + fan ($40), i'm looking at $1380 all up... Not bad for a DIY 18inch monster..

I cant buy a commercial sub that will match this performance (simulated via WinISD) for under $3000 over here. I looked at the JL Fathom F113 here and the local retailer could do me a deal for $5600 for the unit and the SVS PB13 for $2849 + $150 shipping locally.

Overall, cant wait to get this baby cookin! Need to find my digital cam now..
But mostly, a big thank you to Mike P, Thxgoon, and db_bloke for your pointers and advice!
post #16 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 03:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looking forward to your build pics. Are you planning on equalizing the low end?

post #17 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

I will be after Xmas or early next year, as funds are a bit tight atm. Mike, since i'm going with a sealed design, would you recommend using either a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (FBQ 2496) or the Ultragraph DEQ 1024? I can get the FBQ for $245 on sale and $270 for the DEQ.

For the moment, i was thinking of using the high pass cut off filter on the EP2500/EP1500 set at 30hz (i know i'll be taking a massive hit with low-end performance) but use this as an interim to avoid overexcursion on the low end with 2400w's of power in 4ohms.

Or alternatively(preferred), just hook up the sub to 1 channel on the amp (750w) and not worry about overexcursion with a sacrifice to db's.

No luck with the B-1 so far as the retailer says that he'll import them if there is a demand for them(ie: group buy etc).
post #18 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Just came across this plate amp by Elemental Designs, the LT range of plate amps, particularly the LT1300 and LT550. Are these any good in a sealed config? Controls seem to be very basic and no built in eq or subsonic filter and the specs pdf is a joke with minimal spec details..
post #19 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 05:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The LT550 is a little shy on power for your application, especially if you will eventually boost the low end. The LT1300 is pretty well the same power as a EP1500. You'll do fine with either one. I modeled the IXL-18 in 107 liters, with 900 watts input power it produces 107 db at 20 hz and reaches Xmax at 14 hz. Try it out and see. If you need more low end then you can consider boosting the low end and adding a SSF.

As for which Behringer, here's a IXL-18 in a 24 inch cube sealed. Post #45 shows the before and after with the use of a FBQ-2496:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post132882

post #20 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 05:33 PM
Shackster
db_bloke

Wow, I thought my Bunnings bill for like $150 or so was a lot. I managed to get some cheap clamps (well I thought they were still exe). You got a box of 2 for $26 and they go up to 760mm. They are pretty basic and look somewhat Russian. But I think they will work. I only got 4 though -total $53.
I may go a router, I'll cut out some circles on my offcuts and see how I go.