IXL-18.2.2 Sealed - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Re: IXL-18.2.2 Sealed

Yeah i know...the bits and pieces do add up..plus the fact i had to get tools and those clamps that killed my budget.. But those clamps are great, its got hard rubber stamps and doesnt mark the mdf's like my old clamps do and they adjust real easy too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 07:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
shogo33 wrote: View Post
Yeah i know...the bits and pieces do add up..plus the fact i had to get tools and those clamps that killed my budget.. But those clamps are great, its got hard rubber stamps and doesnt mark the mdf's like my old clamps do and they adjust real easy too.
And now you have all the necessary tools for your next sub build!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

The FBQ made quite a difference in smoothing out the peaks. Will probably get one after xmas when the budget allows for it.. thanks

post #24 of 66 Old 12-15-08, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Mike. Believe u me that i wanna go for those killer SLLT subs that u guys have! If only i could hide one of those in the room..lol Next build i say..next build!
post #25 of 66 Old 12-16-08, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Update: Day 1

I've picked up my cut up sheets of 1inch MDF from Bunnings. Took them home and assembled them up to make sure that each piece matches to the correct cut size. Man, are those 1inch mdf cuts are heavy! As I was assembling them together to form the 22inch cube, one of the side panels tipped and fell on my toes!..ouch!

Firstly, i've drilled 2 dowel holes into each of the mdf panels to add reinforcement to each panel when glueing. After drilling these holes, i've attached a dowel to each hole and glued them in. Left them to cure for 2 hours. Came back and glued all the panels together to form the cabinet except the top panel. Used all my clamps to clamp each side together and now its sitting in the garage curing away overnight. Sorry no pic's at this stage, but then again its pointless as its just a basic sealed cabinet that happens to weigh around 45kgs.. If you want to see what it looks like, check out db_bloke's build pics as they are similar, for the exception that I wont be using an outter baffle and will make 4x2 inch wood legs for the build. (Hope u dont mind db!) http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=1221

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=1220

Got the day off tomorrow, so i'll continue with Day 2, with cutting driver cutouts on the inner baffle and brace. If i have time, i'll veneer it as well and do a few rounds of sanding. The veneering is gonna be a pain but hopefully time will past quickly.
post #26 of 66 Old 12-16-08, 07:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Good luck with the veneering. We will expect pics of the build process from now on.

post #27 of 66 Old 12-16-08, 10:00 AM
Sam

Where in Australia are you, which state?

Since when did Bunnings cut the wood for you? Did they charge a fee? I didn't think they would cut for people anymore Also were the cuts spot on? Last time i had Mitre 10 cut wood the cuts were way out and it turned into a real nightmare for me

Anyway like Mike said we need pictures of everything... Driver, Amplifier and box

Im still deciding on my next sub but im leaning towards two IXL 18's in a 250L sealed enclosure so im really interested to see how this turns out
post #28 of 66 Old 12-16-08, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

No worries. Got a few pics of different angles of the cabinet. Will post it up asap. My speaker cup with banana plugs terminals have arrived. Btw, how do you hook up the speaker cable from the sub to the speaker cup? Pic of the speaker cup terminals is on this link.

http://www.chokes.com/rgt4050.htm
post #29 of 66 Old 12-16-08, 09:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You can solder the wire to the tab or use a spade connector.

http://14point7.com/JAW/Spade_Connectors.jpg

post #30 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Update: Day 2

Ok, so i've cut an 18 inch circle for the internal brace and another circle (16+) inch for the inner baffle. Well, it was an interesting experience with a router as I didnt want to risk stuffing up the inner baffle so i took a chance with the brace, which turned out ok bar the rough cut's around the circle. This took me nearly 20 mins just to cut the circle and until i've realised that its better to rout the 1inch MDF in 3 turns rather than 2. The second cut with the inner baffle went smoothly and was done in under 10 mins.

Mental note: When cutting 1inch MDF, best to do so by doing 1/3 of an inch at a time and repeat it until the circle is cut. This would result to a smoother cut and less stress on the router bit's and motor.

After cutting the circles, i've sanded it back roughly to clear up any rough edges. Now, time to assemble and glue. I've drilled 2 holes earlier and attached dowels to reinforce the attachment of the wood plates. Took me 1hr to glue and assemble each plate into a cube. Then left it overnight to cure and seal.