IXL-18.2.2 Sealed - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Re: IXL-18.2.2 Sealed

Update: Day 3

Came back in and the box is very heavy, around 45kg's i think excluding driver. I sanded back any uneven bits and wiped off any residual dust. I then veneered each section of the cube with Riadata wood veneer except for the bottom and back.

This process took ages to complete and had to be done slowly as each stip had to be lined up evenly or else there would be 'gap's between each strip. This took around nearly 3 hours to complete. I trimmed off any excess veneer strips and sanded back each section to smooth out the veneer.

Once done, I had to cut a small hole to attach the speaker cup terminals at the back. The thin strip of metal pins are so fragile and i snapped one of the whilst fastening the spade clip onto the pin. Ahhh! So i had to improvise. I removed the pins off the terminal's pin and wrapped the speaker cable around each pin and re-screwed the nut back onto the terminal pin to hold the cable. I then wired the sub to accept a 4ohm load. Also got some speaker stuffing material (Jaycar at $10 per 1.5 x 1.5 m sheet. Lined the inside of the cabinet with 2 of the 1.5m sheets.

Nearly there!..Screwed in the speaker cup terminal to the back and then the IXL 18.2.2 driver onto the cabinet. Well, i guess thats nearly there. Now awaiting for the EP2500 to arrive

Last edited by shogo33; 12-18-08 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Inserting pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Tested the sub to see if it was operating etc.. Temporarily connected the sub pre-out into one channel of my power amp (rated at 130w per channel at 8ohms) Suffice to say, the sub works well and on music, the lows are less boomy and much tighter than my 12inc Dayton DVC on 250w's PE plate amp. Still not as loud as I would like it to be, but when my EP2500 arrives, then i can make a better comparison. I can feel that the sub wants more power!
post #33 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Hmm..cant upload the pics yet, will try again soon.

post #34 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 07:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Your file size is probably too big.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #35 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 08:38 AM
Shackster
db_bloke

Wow, excellent work. Good point about the 1" MDF and the router one third at a time. Also I guess you have a 22"x22"x21" almost cube?

Are you going to run the speaker in. Normally when new, the suspension is really tight and takes a while to loosen up / get louder, I imagine the Mach5 is no exception. Find a 10-100hz mp3 sweep on the web and run it for a day or so. Not full volume but just something to move the cone a bit before you go crazy. Hopefully it'll get louder.

Man, I really want to hear how it sounds. Parties over the weekend then Christmas are getting in my way though. I imagine fairly low compared to the 12? Sounds like it's tight n controlled
Veneering sounds like fun ! Can't wait to see some pics.
post #36 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 09:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Normally when new, the suspension is really tight and takes a while to loosen up / get louder, I imagine the Mach5 is no exception.........Hopefully it'll get louder.
And it will. My IXL-18's, IXL-15 and IXL-12 all had a noticeable improvement in output once the suspensions loosened up.

post #37 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Yeah, u're right...trying to shrink them to an acceptable size for upload within 145kb size limit.
post #38 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Quote:
db_bloke wrote: View Post
Wow, excellent work. Good point about the 1" MDF and the router one third at a time. Also I guess you have a 22"x22"x21" almost cube?

Are you going to run the speaker in. Normally when new, the suspension is really tight and takes a while to loosen up / get louder, I imagine the Mach5 is no exception. Find a 10-100hz mp3 sweep on the web and run it for a day or so. Not full volume but just something to move the cone a bit before you go crazy. Hopefully it'll get louder.

Man, I really want to hear how it sounds. Parties over the weekend then Christmas are getting in my way though. I imagine fairly low compared to the 12? Sounds like it's tight n controlled
Veneering sounds like fun ! Can't wait to see some pics.
Yeah, since the router spins at 30,000 rpms, if you do it in 1/3's circle cuts at a time, it wont burn the wood and also its gives u more of an even cut. I will run it in, even with my 12inch DVC kit, it took me sometime to run it in before it sounded good. I'll do a search for some tones and give it a light workout.

As far as how it sounds, its a big step up from a 12inch with 250w thats for sure. But it definately needs some power to get it up to its potential. Your parties will sound awesome!!
Veneering is a real It takes so much effort to line each strip up and its hard to get it right. Tip: get your iron realllly hot and it melts the glue that its easier to line up the veneer strips, but do it quick or it will set quicky. Also, i havent decided if i want to laquer it yet, probably will!
post #39 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Mike, will decreasing the speaker stuffing tighten up the sound even more? I'm wondering if i'd used too much stuffing.
post #40 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

May as well break the sub in first and see how it sounds before you make any changes.