IXL-18.2.2 Sealed - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Re: IXL-18.2.2 Sealed

Okay, hope the pics work. These pics were taken after all the hard work and lugging this back breaking 45kg cube into the house from the garage! Pls note that my woodworking/sub building skills are that of a newbie, (need to fix that veneer blemish), but this has been one great experience and am in a way looking forward to building my next..

Top & Side view of the cube:

Front view:

Back view:

Cube stuffed with speaker stuffing view:

Front view with speaker assembled:

Sub in with the rest of the gear:

cheers guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Also working on the legs and bottom plate atm...will attach more pics once finished.
post #43 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 03:57 PM
Shackster
Sam

Quote:
shogo33 wrote: View Post
Tested the sub to see if it was operating etc.. Temporarily connected the sub pre-out into one channel of my power amp (rated at 130w per channel at 8ohms) Suffice to say, the sub works well and on music, the lows are less boomy and much tighter than my 12inc Dayton DVC on 250w's PE plate amp. Still not as loud as I would like it to be, but when my EP2500 arrives, then i can make a better comparison. I can feel that the sub wants more power!
I just built one very similar to yours. 150L sealed with the 18.2. I am using the EP2500 bridged and a BFD.
Yes it is tight and great on music but I have found to get an acceptable level that I have to increase the db's by 6 for the sub level at the avr. I was expecting more and am wondering if I should rebuild going ported.

It does sound great, especially for music, but to be truthful my HSU 3.3 sounds better in the HT area.

I will give it some time to see if it loosens up any and gets louder. Please let me know when you have the EP2500 hooked up to it if it still is lacking in the loudness.

post #44 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 04:09 PM
Shackster
db_bloke

Mate, that veneering looks pretty interesting, I was considering bamboo veneers at one point but too exe it's a similar effect you've got though - Good job. Where did you get it / how much?
I like the overall size ratio of box to speaker, it's reasonably compact as well. I reckon for a first go it's excellent.
Hopefully your EP2500 will turn up soon, it's so frustrating living in OZ where you have to special order everything. More power, more power please, it's crying out isn't it
post #45 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

My old 12inch diy Dayton DVC with the PE 250w amp took about a month or there abouts to break in, but thats because i've only used it about 30mins a day from the day it was built. I know it will take a while to break in, but when it does, i'm sure u'll be impressed. Have you got any sweep tones from 10-100hz? Try using that if you havent
post #46 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 04:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Nice work on the sub!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #47 of 66 Old 12-18-08, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Thanks Mate,
Standard veneer packs of Bunnings, its Riadata wood veneer but like you said it looks similar to bamboo, it cost $10 from there and a mate of mine got some from his work place for free and i supplemented the rest from Bunnings. It took me about 10 packs to veneer the box on the top, sides and front. I didnt veneer the back and bottom (obviously) to keep cost down.

I still need to apply a thin layer of laquer to finish it off. Box size is just right for the driver. I think u'll find that the outter baffle on your build might oversize the front of the driver. Maybe get 12 or 16mm MDF and rout it to size for a better flush fit and finish.

Mate, i tell u, this driver cries out for power, i'm itching for my EP2500 to arrive before xmas but will see if djwarehouse delivers it on time. Just listening before to U2's Joshua tree album, and already i can tell the sub is much more controlled and articulate with the bass on each song, and this is only with 130w!

Oh, and this thing breaks backs with the driver installed. I'm feeling it today just lifting it here and there to work out a good place for it..
post #48 of 66 Old 12-20-08, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Ok..been busy running around for Xmas stuff and etc...managed to work on the bottom plate and the legs today. Pic's to follow once the mdf glue has cured overnight. Got a call from the place which i've ordered the EP2500..they said that they're not in stock and i pointed out that on thier website it states that the unit is available. And the store guy said that they had 'just' ran out. And i said, i've placed an order 3 days ago and that they'd rather priority service store front customers than those whom order online. He quoted a 1mth wait from Behringer before they get any in stock. I told them to cancel it if they cant service my order on time. He tried to sell me a Crown amp, but thats out of my budget at over $1000!

Bah!..now i'll have to call up some local stores to get either the EP1500/2500.
post #49 of 66 Old 12-20-08, 05:29 AM
Shackster
db_bloke

What bad luck, good job you phoned. See if storedj will price match. They're just over the road so will be keen to beat the opposition, assuming they have one! I picked my amp up in person.
Otherwise there is this place where hopefully I'll get a processor. Not sure on delivery costs, vip price of $519.
post #50 of 66 Old 12-20-08, 11:12 PM
Sam

Quote:
db_bloke wrote: View Post
What bad luck, good job you phoned. See if storedj will price match. They're just over the road so will be keen to beat the opposition, assuming they have one! I picked my amp up in person.
Otherwise there is this place where hopefully I'll get a processor. Not sure on delivery costs, vip price of $519.
Alans music will sell them for $600 which is good considering the postage will probably add up to $560

I buy from them because if anything goes wrong i dont have to post back blah blah blah i just head in and they have always treated me very well so give Alan's Music a call