IXL-18.2.2 Sealed - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 66 Old 12-20-08, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Re: IXL-18.2.2 Sealed

I will do that tomorrow since I'm on leave till next year!
The best price so far is around $550 ex postage, but i can just go over and pick it up to save me a couple of $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 Old 12-20-08, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Phew!..finally have some me time to do this. Just finished up with the bottom plate and pic is attached below. Now, to finalise my sanding of some edges and to laquer it.

IXL-18.2.2 Sealed-file.jpg

post #53 of 66 Old 12-21-08, 12:06 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

That is some good looking work you have done there...

We will also want to see some REW measurements at some point in time.

post #54 of 66 Old 12-21-08, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

WOW, NICE WORK!!! That should be a FUN sub.

Matt
post #55 of 66 Old 12-21-08, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Cheers Guys! Its my first sealed build and looking forward to another..cough..*LLT*..cough in the future..

Will go out this morning to get an EP1500/2500 & BFD around Melbourne..hope they have them in stock. Will definately get REW done and post up some graphs.

Did run it in with a 100-5hz sweep tone on repeat for an hour yesterday. One thing i could immediatly tell is that this driver needs some juice and as Mike said earlier, this baby needs around 900w to be in the optimal zone before overexcursion kicks in
post #56 of 66 Old 12-22-08, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Ok..the Ep2500 arrived this morning! Took it out and boy does this thing weight a bit..nearly 17kgs..

Managed to hook it up quickly as i'll be busy with xmas duties etc. After playing around with it for about 1hr, i found that:
- the sub sounded best in mono bridged mode with the volume at 11o'clock mark.
- the fan is way too loud. Waiting for my fan order to arrive to do my fan mod.
- the sound is awesome for music (fast, rythmic and punchy bass)
- HT sound is quite good and tight, bass not as "loud" as i'd imagine, but going ported would probably do justice to this. Had to increase the subwoofer volume on the AVR to +6db to get it to sound just right at my regular -20db listening level. I'm pretty sure that the sub will sound better once the coil's loosen up with frequent listening.

- Tried the low pass limiter dip switch on the amp at 30hz setting and 50hz setting, the sub sounded boomier, so i set the filter to "off", but kept the clipping dip switch set to "on".

Will keep u guys up to date with my progress. Btw, the EP2500 is sitting on the sub's bottom plate and its a snug fit in height and width level. Will take a pic to show this. It also marginally minimised the fan noise too..what an unexpected benefit..
post #57 of 66 Old 12-25-08, 10:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Sam

Hi Shogo,

Well done on your first build - it looks teriffic!

You'll love the fan mod - I used a super-quite 12v computer case fan and a 12v IC regulator (and couple of capacitors) - cost $9 fan, $2-3 parts.

I recall getting my BFD from Allans Music for $149 earlier this year - online price made it a bit cheaper (you can order online and go in and pick it up).

Don't forget to remind your missus how thoughtful you were to hand-make her Christmas present this year

Cheers,
Sam

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen
post #58 of 66 Old 12-26-08, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Cheers Sam,

I've ordered a 21db 24VDC fan but the order hasnt arrived yet, suspect the usual xmas period delays etc.. Wow, thats really a great price for an EP2500! I called up Allans but they didnt have any in stock in Melb so had order it directly from Behringer (pretty much the same with most music stores across Melb at the moment.

I've had the in-laws over yesterday and they were impressed with the build and the sound just blew them away. I've used Transformers the movie on bluray the final battlescene in the city just threw them some gut-wrenching bass .. The funny thing was that the missus was more impressed with the cabinet fitting in with the rest of the furnishings than the awesome bass...go figure!..lol
post #59 of 66 Old 12-27-08, 07:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Sam

Actually, that wasn't a price for an EP2500 (that would be good!) but the Feedback destroyer Pro eq unit Thought you mentioned that you may be interested in eqing at a later date.

Well, let's face it, looks are more important than performance...

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen
post #60 of 66 Old 12-27-08, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Shank

Lol...u did say BFD my bad..must still be in the xmas spirit of things, too much food and grog in the system.

I'll check out Allans for the BFD, as the best online price for a BFD i've seen is $245 so far as eq'ing will get the best out of my build.