TC Sounds TC-3000...2x15" .5Q sealed sub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 09-01-06, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

TC Sounds TC-3000...2x15" .5Q sealed sub

Finally...the twins are in the box and loosening themselves up...a few hiccups here and there, but initial results are impressive...particulars on the sub:

5.4 cu. ft. net internal /opposite side firing, sealed enclosure

2-TC-3000 15" drivers

1.5" walls

2.25" baffles

7 internal braces (.75", 2-inch spacing)

1" foam lining...not stuffing

24 x 24 x 29.5" external

ep2500...2 channel...each driver wired for 1.4 ohms Res

fbq2496...2 shelving filters for .5Q curve...20 Hz/.182/+6.5 dB...130 Hz/.182/-7.5 dB

linear in-room to <10 Hz
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some performance at 3.5 meter LP (C-fast max hold/ sealed room):

Star Wars II fly-by (30-50 Hz range): 118 dB (120-121 dB corr)
119 dB (121-122 dB corr) clipping

Master and Commander (ch4/ 2nd cannon) -16 MV: 118 dB (120-121 dB corr)
(30 Hz barrage) 119 dB (121-122 dB corr) clipping

*when that second cannon shot goes off at ~120 dB !:blink

Black Hawk Down (Irene) : 107-108 dB uncorr (7-18-32 Hz signal)

*LOTR Sauron hits Isildore/Isildore hits rock 120 dB uncorr
Bilbo "ring drop" 121 dB uncorr/-9 dB MV
122-123 dB /clipping (xmax in reserve here)

* ear plugs for the whole LOTR test...

War of the Worlds (lightning strikes) 120 dB uncorr/121 dB clipping
(pods emerge) 115 dB uncorr

The Incredibles 22 Hz "crush" 117 dB/uncorr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, it seems that the max before clipping is about 118-120 dB (uncorrected).

The ep2500 seems limited and i may pick up another and rewire for 3.5 ohms Res...i don't think it's getting to full 1200 watts per channel...as per Kyle...resistance should be about 1.82 under operation, but is variable, of course...that said, there is'nt much more room for improvement at this power level, maybe 1-2 dB at most...i would need to move to quad 15" for the next "serious" upgrade...

No change in the sound signature from the .48 Q single box...definitely cleaner at louder levels though...Enya's "The Longships" and Tricky's "Broken Homes" are very tight, along with the growling synth lines in Depeche Mode's "I feel loved"...silky smooth...

So far, so good...

pics below:

MBoutte
south Louisiana
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

B&C 21SW152-4 [21" critical Q]

Last edited by kramskoi; 09-25-06 at 05:07 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-01-06, 11:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

Re: TC Sounds TC-3000...2x15" .5Q sealed sub

Now that's a Subwoofer.:holycow:
Nice work on the box kramskoi and good to see all that bracing in there .And that TC 3000 is an awesome looking beast.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-01-06, 11:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

These drivers seem perfect for sealed with EQ - you're right though, each driver can handle its own EP2500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-02-06, 10:46 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Nice work martin That is one serious diy sub.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-06, 02:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Woah, that turned out much better than I expected :-P! Awesome job. Hope its everything you wanted it to be and more! Maybe your next upgrade will be a second Ep2500?

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-06, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

Quote:
Exocer wrote: View Post
Woah, that turned out much better than I expected :-P! Awesome job. Hope its everything you wanted it to be and more! Maybe your next upgrade will be a second Ep2500?
how'd you guess that? i'm drilling a hole through the closet wall and the ep2500 is going to be muzzled inside, i "am" thinking about purchasing another but we'll see. I've got to replace and reseal the binding post connector, which is where the air leak is located...i'll tackle this tomorrow...i'm also thinking about maybe molding for the cabinet, to dress it up a little...it looks plain Jane right now, but no one can see it anyway...oh man...you know, this sub may produce more than i'm noting...i've been using the number meter on the digital RS, not the bar graph, which updates .2 seconds when set to "fast"...the number meter only updates every 1 second, so i'm missing the peaks sometimes...can't wait to check this...i was just reading the manual by chance yesterday...i felt really stupid at that moment...i'm also going to test the behringer with the clip limiter switched out...if i can get up the nerve...watching "Irene" with the dual is a treat, but even with two drivers, the 5-7 Hz signal is still not as tamed as i'd like... but i definitely noticed an improvement over the dual...of course the ep2500 is into severe clipping at that point, which goes without saying...i'd like to go with dual ep2500's, but i'm a little afraid for the drivers...i'm boosting about 5 dB, down 5 octaves from 20 Hz (a manual LT, if you will)...the whole point of the dual was to cut excursion and distortion, keeping the output the same...once i seal up the cabinet and run more tests, i'll decide...i'm going to have to watch myself with this sub, output at and below 20 Hz has begun to affect me physically, this has never happened before...i was woozy for about 30 minutes one day after testing from 10-18 Hz...lots of VLF coming off this rig, especially with the room sealed up.

MBoutte
south Louisiana

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Last edited by kramskoi; 09-05-06 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-06, 09:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Man, I'd love to experience that!

post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-06, 11:50 PM
Senior Shackster

I see you're on again, any progress with the air leak??

post #9 of 12 Old 09-06-06, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

Quote:
Exocer wrote: View Post
I see you're on again, any progress with the air leak??

after six hours the leak is plugged ...i think...116 dB 10 Hz sine...+7.5 dB on the receiver:holycow:...can't hear anything, but i'm going to get some black rtv sealant to be sure...

I ran the SWII fly-by @ -11 MV...set RS to max hold and low and behold...119 dB uncorrected 3.5m...120 and it starts clipping...so i'm guessing with correction at 30-40 Hz, where the fly-by resides, 121-122 dB without clipping ...i think the meter is off 2-3 dB in this range, according to all of the correction scales i've seen.

This is more in line with the modeling from winisdpro...with the BFD switched out, i've recorded about 5 dB higher...but of course this is unusable output

That said, i'm pretty stoked with the sub...tomorrow i'll probably try to put some molding on the cabinet to purty it up!

MBoutte
south Louisiana

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-06, 12:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Great to hear! Can't wait to see some pictures after you make it look good

You've got me thinking about going Dual Ava15 with my 110 liter box. Heavy stuffing would drop the Qtc down to .6 (not critical Q but tighter than normal)....Then i'll use your extra box for the Tumult