LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 01:36 AM
Senior Shackster

robert

Re: LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed

Just came across this thread. Before I read the whole thing, I have to say I want one of those suits of armor!!!. Now back to the reading.

Great job,

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 01:52 AM
Senior Shackster

robert

Well, seems like the LMS was the right choice for you. I hope to be experiencing some of the happiness you have had from your sub build soon. I only have paint and "ammenities" to go, , and assembly , of course.

Is your LMS on the effects channel- the .1 in the 5.1 setup?

What crossover do you use for HT duty?

Mine is going to be .1 effects channel. The other channels will be full range as they are now, but a filter will be in place to prevent extreme subsonics from the main 5 channels.

How is yours set up?

Excellent job.

Thanks,

Robert
post #23 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
robertcharles123 wrote: View Post
Just came across this thread. Before I read the whole thing, I have to say I want one of those suits of armor!!!. Now back to the reading.

Great job,

Robert
LOL gmmmph . . . . . My grand kids named the suit of armor "Sir Robert". no kidding! He watched over everything that weekend of the build and after it was done, we toasted with an imaginary stein of the bubbly.

post #24 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
robertcharles123 wrote: View Post
Well, seems like the LMS was the right choice for you. I hope to be experiencing some of the happiness you have had from your sub build soon. I only have paint and "ammenities" to go, , and assembly , of course.

Is your LMS on the effects channel- the .1 in the 5.1 setup?

What crossover do you use for HT duty?

Mine is going to be .1 effects channel. The other channels will be full range as they are now, but a filter will be in place to prevent extreme subsonics from the main 5 channels.

How is yours set up?

Excellent job.

Thanks,

Robert
Yes I use the (sub-out) IE: the .1 effects channel to drive the XTi which drives the sub and is connected by an unbalanced RCA to XLR cord. I cross over the sub at 80hz most of the time but use 120hz for some CDs, music only. The other 5 channels on my Pioneer AVR run full blast through the various sound stage options included in the AVR. The "mains" speakers are set via the GUI for large. Those are AR 15" 4 ways 400 watt. The surrounds are AR 10" 3 ways.
The sub is run without a subsonic filter, no High pass. In fact for DVDs I have the the 20hz EQ boosted, set at plus 12db and have the parametric spread set to include to 10hz.
If I have the XTi volume set too high when playing a 10hz signal, the face guard on "Sir Robert" flips up.

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 01-27-09 at 09:50 AM.
post #25 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 09:09 AM
Banned!
jordan powell

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
If I have the XTi volume set to high when playing a 10hz signal, the face guard on "Sir Robert" flips up.
I just woke up (lazy day) and that just made my day already. It's normally to early to smile, let alone actually laugh out loud. I am totally disappointed in you HT people that think your too good to make speaker ... an 18" LMS at 10Hz making a metal face guard on an armord suit flip up... SEALED! Look, now I made my smile go to 1/2 in disappointment

post #26 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Hey! What good is DIY if you can't laugh at yourself and the silly things you think and do once inna while?
post #27 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 09:59 AM
Banned!
jordan powell

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Hey! What good is DIY if you can't laugh at yourself and the silly things you think and do once inna while?
oh I totally agree! right now I'm blowing up the car audio forums with vids of the IB18 doing "Bass I Love You" free air, because that is a huge speaker song...but with car audio, SubSonicFilters are undefeatable, and no one knew there was a 7Hz note throughout the song, we thought the "super low note" was the 18Hz tone LOL!

this one shows the 7Hz tone watage... 4.5 watts is shaking my whole room free air!

found this from 2:40 - 2:50... us car guys have been messin with this for years and never knew it exhisted!

post #28 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

LOL, it's easy to forget how much pure electrical energy a 1000 watts really is. Pro amps that can deliver up to 8000 watts can be dangerous. I guess that was one reason for adding connectors other than RCA types for cabling pro subs . . . . eliminating accidental hand and finger contact while changing cables at a gig in a drizzling rain could be "enlightening" !
Be careful out there.
post #29 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 10:49 AM
Banned!
jordan powell

i was shocked several times from an Audiobahn A1300HCT that claimed 1200 watts, but couldn't have if it was struck by lightning.... but that thing was a bigger kick than a wall socket
post #30 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

See what I mean?
The last time I got a shock was when I accidentally walked by my 91 year old grandmothers room while she was changing her soiled clothes.