LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 11:13 AM

Re: LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed

are you fully recovered? will you ever be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

yes . . . . my poor grandmother finally passed away at age 96 rest her soul. She left me a large bequest in her will. I loved that woman!
post #33 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 05:17 PM

well after all she put you thru...

post #34 of 103 Old 01-27-09, 07:27 PM
Senior Shackster
jason

Hi Phil Very Nice Sub BTW looks very well constructed, Does your crown XTI 4000 Power AMP have A PEQ that can eq down to 20 hz ??

Cheers....
post #35 of 103 Old 01-28-09, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Thanks Jason,
The Crown XTi series amplifiers all have the Parametric Equalizer System built-in but only accessible for FULL use via connection to a computer. There is access to some limited functions through the 3 button front panel system.
The Equalizer has 6 EQ filters per stereo channel which can be adjusted up or down to affect any frequency from 20hz to 20,000hz. PLUS each of the EQ filters can be adjusted (Parametric) to widen the frequency chosen. In other words an EQ filter set at 100hz can be adjusted (widened) to affect frequencies from 50hz to 150hz. It's difficult to explain in words. Or more to your question, you can move the No. 1 filter to 20hz, widen the parametric function, and the result of increasing or decreasing the boost will affect the frequencies down to 10hz.

Here's a screen shot of the XTi functioning and adjusted EQ. Note that filter 1 is set at 25hz, filter 2 is set at 55hz, and filter 3 is set at 70hz. The other filters are set at 0 and are not being used. All 6 filters could be moved/changed and used in the 20hz to 120hz region if needed. The white line and the blue shaded portion is the predicted response curve after adjustments.

It took me weeks to understand what the capabilities of the XTi were because Crown's instruction manual is really minimal and the System Architecture has a HELP file accessible by computer only.

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 01-28-09 at 12:17 PM.
post #36 of 103 Old 01-29-09, 07:51 PM
Senior Shackster
jason

Thanks for you detailed explanation & example Phil ......
It sounds like you are very happy with your sub & amp combo....

FWIW I am going to try out Acoustisofts RplusD software for dialling in my SUBs Behringer DCX2496, in RplusD it has A DCX 2496 emulation function that I can use and also Xover emulation for setting up DIY Speaker Xovers, Should be fun But I will more than likely just Do Acoustisofts Consoltation performed by Doug & his Expertise and save the learning curve

Cheers...

Last edited by cinema mad; 01-29-09 at 08:07 PM.
post #37 of 103 Old 01-29-09, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Jason,
That program looks interesting. Keep us informed how it all goes together.
post #38 of 103 Old 02-04-09, 12:22 AM
Senior Shackster
SQBubble

My System

Man, you truly are one lucky man having this sub !!! I bet it sounds super clean and powerful! Great job!

btw try out the new "band manager" from HiQnet, im using it now instead of system architect, I find it easier to use and lot more quicker and user-friendly(its a refined of the System Architect ..)!!

also, just a little heads up; is TC Sounds/Audiopulse are out of the market for good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #39 of 103 Old 02-04-09, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

SQ, I agree. When I bought the LMS I had no idea it would be out of production and that TC Sounds would go out of business. In fact at the time I bought it, it was still an unproven driver except in TC's own advertising.
IT does sound clean and it IS powerful but what it does that I like and does it better than any other driver I've heard is sound like the real thing. A kick drum sounds like a kick drum and a tympani sounds like a tympani and all the percussion and bass instruments sound like they did when I played in the symphony. Plus it'll blow your windows out playing WOTW!
I plan on trying out the HiQnet "Band Manager" and HiQnet V.1.9 too. I guess a DIY's job is never done eh?
The original TC Sounds is DEFINITELY out of business. Audio Pulse which is listed as a part of TC SOUNDS CORPORATE has been producing or assembling a limited number of AUDIO PULSE labeled drivers of various sizes including the 12 inch through Parts Express. I have not heard of anyone having purchased the 18" driver. I think few if any people were willing to pay the high price.
post #40 of 103 Old 02-04-09, 02:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Thilo and TC/AP is regrouping and will make a come back. There has been a few specs released on an 09 LMS.