LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 103 Old 02-04-09, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Re: LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed

Mr. Stompler is an interesting guy. I wish someone close to him would get him to give us a personal update on here. His story HAS to be a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 103 Old 02-09-09, 05:45 AM
Shackster
cochinada

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Yes I use the (sub-out) IE: the .1 effects channel to drive the XTi which drives the sub and is connected by an unbalanced RCA to XLR cord.
This is my very first post here so first of all hi everybody!

I must say I find this forum great and have the deepest respect for all your DIYers out there. I think it takes a lot of courage to embrace such a task like in this case building a subwoofer from scratch, so allow me to congratulate you. I hope some day I too can build my own subwoofer but these drivers are very hard to find and I don't have the proper tools nor the space for building a nice box, not to mention the skills.

Now if I may ask a question as silly it may be, have you considered putting the XTi inside the box? Or is there any problems with this approach aside from the obvious one of making the box larger, perhaps stiffer and more elaborated I guess.

Cheers
Joaquim
post #43 of 103 Old 02-09-09, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Hi Joaqim,
Welcome to the Shack. Let everyone else in Portugal know we're here too.
All us DIYers thank you for the compliments.
Don't be discouraged if you don't have space, tools, and "courage" to build a sub now. Life has a way of filling in these voids over time.
But what you CAN do, while you wait for good fortune to pay you a visit, is continue to read this forum and get an audio/video education. All facets of audio/video are discussed here. In addition acquaint yourself with all the current equipment used to upgrade audio and video. Take a look at the sponsors and advertisers of this forum and see what advantages their products have for you to use in a DIY project of your own.
You'll see "PARTS EXPRESS" mentioned often. They have thousands of items used in the DIY audio hobby. Get their free catalog and read it before falling asleep at night. Then use a page or two for toilet paper in the morning. LOL
Download WinISD, a free software program, which allows you to design speakers before you even make a purchase. That free software program is invaluable for teaching about the relationships between all the driver characteristics/measurements and the enclosure box design and dimensions.
Regarding MY project, your question DID make me smile, the XTi amplifier is not designed to be in an enclosure. It HAS to have cooling air flowing through it. Mounting it IN the box would not allow it to cool itself. Also it has a control panel and blinking lights that warn of impending driver disasters that have to be monitored along with volume controls and speaker hookup terminals.
The XTi amplifier was really designed for professional sound applications not so much for home use. But many DIYers have asked, why can't THEY have a couple thousand watts available for their home built projects just like the PROS do?? It might seem like overkill at first glance but who wants to build a beautiful sub with that special driver capable of creating earthquake 10hz rumble and SPLs that can move mountains and then only give their project 15 to 18 watts from an IPOD sized amplifier?? We don't want to be limited to producing high fidelity squeaks and rattles by a too small 15 to 18 watt max amplifiers. WE NEED POWER!! "Scotty, giver her all she's got!!".

post #44 of 103 Old 02-09-09, 09:45 AM
Shackster
cochinada

Thank you very much for the welcoming and your words of advise! I'm eagerly trying to absorb and learn as much as I can but this forum of yours is just huge!

In fact I've downloaded WinISD already but didn't find the information for the Audiopulse LMS-Ultra or TC Sound LMS-5400 so am at this instance trying very hard to enter the parameters for the current LMS-Ultra 18", which I believe replaced the famous LMS-5400, although I've read somewhere, I believe from you, that a 2009 version is on the forge...

The problem is that I get a huge discrepancy namely on the value for Sd as given by the manufacturer (27,5m2) and as calculated by WinISD (0,1090m2) as you can see on the picture bellow. This and the missing data for dimensions are a bit of a problem.

Let me apologize if I'm off topic but I thought this could be of interest to someone as I couldn't find any thread about this.

Now back on topic, I guess that the reason for going with the XTi dictated the choice to build a passive subwoofer and not the other way around right? I take from your words that is not easy to get a high quality and powerful enough amplifier to feed these DIY beasts that can be mounted inside and this would be the main if not sole reason for not going active or am I wrong?

cheers
Joaquim
post #45 of 103 Old 02-09-09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
cochinada wrote: View Post
The problem is that I get a huge discrepancy namely on the value for Sd as given by the manufacturer (27,5m2) and as calculated by WinISD (0,1090m2) as you can see on the picture bellow. This and the missing data for dimensions are a bit of a problem.

Now back on topic, I guess that the reason for going with the XTi dictated the choice to build a passive subwoofer and not the other way around right? I take from your words that is not easy to get a high quality and powerful enough amplifier to feed these DIY beasts that can be mounted inside and this would be the main if not sole reason for not going active or am I wrong?

cheers
Joaquim

You're not alone having discrepancies develop while trying to enter driver data into WinISD. Try a short cut. Enter only Qes, Qts, Fs, and Vas. That will get you to the working screens and a box design and size. Then after you're at the additional screens and windows you can add the other driver data on one of the pull down menus.
WinISD is a math formula driven program. Driver data that falls outside the formula will sometimes fail to provide an accurate or equal driver parameter.

Actually I already had another amp, Hafler 280 watt, that I used bridged. I knew it wouldn't provide the power required to drive the LMS.
To your question, I chose the LMS first and then the amp. I chose Crown XTi because of the included parametric equalizer. I thought the XTi 4000 would have enough muscle to load the LMS to full Xmax value in the 6.1 cubic foot box. I was wrong. The LMS requires more watts than the Xti 4000 can deliver @ 20Hz. The amp goes into protection somewhere around 700 to 900 watts.
This adventure into audio overload is all experimental fun. There is NO reason for me to use that kind of power during "normal" listening sessions, or even while watching the most demanding DVDs. One could easily develop a hearing impairment, a permanent wave, and a 'kick drum' speech impediment from those high level SPLs.

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 02-09-09 at 12:14 PM.
post #46 of 103 Old 02-14-09, 05:24 PM
Shackster
Allan

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Thilo and TC/AP is regrouping and will make a come back. There has been a few specs released on an 09 LMS.
Really!! I would love to see those.
post #47 of 103 Old 02-17-09, 05:54 AM
Shackster
mike

man I wish that I would have bought a 5400 when they were still available. Currently have a Maelstrom build and a Avalanch 18. I hear rumors that TC may make a comeback hopefully this is true.
post #48 of 103 Old 02-17-09, 11:23 AM
Shackster

annunaki

Quote:
mcallister wrote: View Post
man I wish that I would have bought a 5400 when they were still available. Currently have a Maelstrom build and a Avalanch 18. I hear rumors that TC may make a comeback hopefully this is true.
Parts express has the Audiopulse Axis 15" and an LMS 15" that I am aware. The LMN series woofers just showed up recently. No word on 18" drivers though.
post #49 of 103 Old 02-17-09, 11:26 AM
Shackster

annunaki

LMS for the previous post.
post #50 of 103 Old 02-17-09, 11:28 AM
Shackster

annunaki

Actually the LMS series has not shown up yet in the 15" but I would expect it soon. They still have the Axis though which uses the same motor topology.