LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 103 Old 02-20-09, 06:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Re: LMS 5400 18" 6.1 cu ft sealed

Hey Phil.... Just a friendly reminder about next weekends activities in SE WI......

Maybe we could convince Kyle to ship me out a new LMS for the GTG... There is still time for you to ship one out for to make it on the 28th... I bet that would get some people like annunaki to change his mind about showing up...

Kyle, the new LMS's have me drooling.... I may have to make some room in the wallet...

You are stating that they are more efficeint, does that mean not as big an amp required... ??
That would be killer, which makes them even more affordable...

Last edited by Warpdrv; 02-20-09 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 103 Old 02-21-09, 05:26 AM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

Quote:
Warpdrv wrote: View Post
Hey Phil.... Just a friendly reminder about next weekends activities in SE WI......

Maybe we could convince Kyle to ship me out a new LMS for the GTG... There is still time for you to ship one out for to make it on the 28th... I bet that would get some people like annunaki to change his mind about showing up...

Kyle, the new LMS's have me drooling.... I may have to make some room in the wallet...

You are stating that they are more efficeint, does that mean not as big an amp required... ??
That would be killer, which makes them even more affordable...
It still needs a very big amp, but we do also have a new pro audio driver that should be very efficient and still provide a solid amount of linear displacement. Its spec'ed to 23mm before the coil starts to leave the underung gap. That's about double a good pro woofer. We don't have the prototype yet, but the SPL should be above 94dB, a real JBL 2269H competitor.
post #73 of 103 Old 02-21-09, 09:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
kyle_k wrote: View Post
the cone we have now is very durable, a bit lighter than our current metal cones like i said, but strong enough to stand on... literally, we did stand on it and it did not crack. Its probably not lighter than your Audax cone, but ours is also pretty beefy (~4.5mm thick). Formers are a tricky issue, they have so many issues that you really have to comprises. The new forums we have are actually stainless steel, believe it or not they came out to be about the same mass as our previous titanium formers. Stainless bonds better and is easier to form than ti and it should hold up to higher temps for that reason. It also has almost the exact same electrical properties so it will sound very good. Aluminum formers conduct heat well, but also current so they sound much worse because of eddy currents generated from the moving B field.. its that whole Faraday's law thing. The amount of distortion depends on the ratio of wire to former.

The back EMF is not a problem with the LMS designs, but i has been with the 4HP's, we have made some 4HP's with a BL^2/Re over over 500. For those that don't know that is outright insane! the Qts actually drops below 0.1.. its a scary about of force, but its hard on amps. If they don't make enough volts, the power will not be there. I remember the first Aura drivers have too much BL and they had to re design their motors and reduce the size of the magnets and their sub made more bass!

Thanks Ricci, it was a lot of fun to do but a lot of work also. The exciting part is it has even more efficiency than lms and xbl^2. No products planned yet, sorry. As far as the lms’s, wait for the 09’s they have undercut t-yokes and 3 shorting rings, and 11” spiders, ya I want one too!

Yes, puckering occurs and its one of the things we are working on changing, not sure it will make the 09 production, but like everything it’s a tradeoff. We’re hoping to use foamed rubber which is light, but still durable. Straight foam will fix the problem, but its also stiffer and far less durable long term. We have two tall rubber surrounds a thick and a thin. The thin is what we use for the drivers and that will dimple at high excursion. Hopefully we can improve that down the road. The thicker one has no issues at all, but its very heavy – perfect for the VMP and it will be used for the 09 VMP’s. The mechanical limits of the big LMS were increased so it won’t bottom any more (surround limited) well… I’m always surprised how much things stretch so it will at least be very difficult to bottom now. 4.00” peak to peak is what it will see now, you’ll need a Labgruppen to do that.

The spiders were stiffened up from the tc to the audiopulse change and we already shaved 0.018” off the former ID. And we tooled a new spider for the big LMS (almost 11” now)
I've yet to see a production driver who's surround will not pucker some at 4" p2p. Those 5200's were beastly. Didn't they have like 32TM of force or something like that on a huge 4" vc? Non powerhouse amps need not apply there...I'm liking the sound of this stuff Kyle. 11" spiders, 50mm xmech, rohacell cone, improved surround, former, triple shorting rings.... I just hope they aren't $1500ea. I'll skip the LabGruppen's for my QSC PL9.0's though.

Is PE going to be the only vendor from here on out for AP products? It's still AP right?

Patrick,

You should start a thread for the 09 Milwaukee SW Fest...

post #74 of 103 Old 02-21-09, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

[QUOTE=Warpdrv;151373

That would be killer, which makes them even more affordable... [/QUOTE]

Warpdrv, You don't look as distinguished when you beg.

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 02-21-09 at 01:56 PM.
post #75 of 103 Old 02-22-09, 03:40 AM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
I've yet to see a production driver who's surround will not pucker some at 4" p2p. Those 5200's were beastly. Didn't they have like 32TM of force or something like that on a huge 4" vc? Non powerhouse amps need not apply there...I'm liking the sound of this stuff Kyle. 11" spiders, 50mm xmech, rohacell cone, improved surround, former, triple shorting rings.... I just hope they aren't $1500ea. I'll skip the LabGruppen's for my QSC PL9.0's though.

Is PE going to be the only vendor from here on out for AP products? It's still AP right?

Patrick,

You should start a thread for the 09 Milwaukee SW Fest...

ya, you're XXX is a xmax king, we gotta do what we gotta do to keep up! PE will ideally be the main distributor, there will be a few smaller guys here and there. Name is going back to TC. Audipulse is a big soar spot with us...what happened internally was just disastrous with the sales team we brought on last year, and Auidopulse was their idea too. TC logos will be found on the new cones. Product names remain the same.
post #76 of 103 Old 02-22-09, 11:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I always liked TC Sounds better anyway as it was the original company name.
post #77 of 103 Old 02-22-09, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Company names;

TC Sounds . . . . ok . . .
AudioPulse . . . . no good . . . .
Gompler/Keating . . . . REEEal good
Keating/Gompler . . . . . Excellent!!!

Kinda reminds me of Thiele/Small . . . .

Isn't it funny how often times in small business it's not a product failure but internal "_ _ _ _" that brings a business down?
post #78 of 103 Old 02-23-09, 02:59 AM
Banned!
Kyle Keating

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Company names;

TC Sounds . . . . ok . . .
AudioPulse . . . . no good . . . .
Gompler/Keating . . . . REEEal good
Keating/Gompler . . . . . Excellent!!!

Kinda reminds me of Thiele/Small . . . .

Isn't it funny how often times in small business it's not a product failure but internal "_ _ _ _" that brings a business down?
haha close :P

"S"tompler

maybe we'll use one of those names for another company :P
post #79 of 103 Old 02-23-09, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Gompler . . . . Stompler, I knew that . . . . .
post #80 of 103 Old 02-27-09, 05:07 PM
Shackster
Zeverin

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Hi Joaqim,
Welcome to the Shack. Let everyone else in Portugal know we're here too.".
Hi I'm also from Portugal.

I have a DIY TC 2k, in a sealed enclouser with 110 liters, powered by a EP2500. I'm also waiting for the comeback of TC Sounds.