Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins. - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 99 Old 08-28-09, 11:37 AM
Kevin

Re: Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins.

Yea... looks great! Every room is different but EQ is definitely a useful tool. I've said it a million times but the SMS-1 is a great tool. It makes the process much easier than cobbling together the various bits and pieces to measure and EQ. You pay a slight premium for the tool but it has extra functionality and it GREATLY simplifies the measurement EQ process.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 99 Old 08-31-09, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Looks like it came out great! It's a total match for the rest of your room, and seems to tie in really well. And I'm glad you're so impressed with how it sounds! Good to know it does so well on music and not just on explosions, gunshots, and monsters too.
Thanks alot.

Actually the biggest performance upgrade seems to be present especially with music. Extended basslines with the SVS were good, but short punchy bursts had a sort of delay to them or not as accurate. The mal x seems more agile, wether this is due to a more fortunate placement and or EQ I don't know. I just praise the fact that it's better
post #43 of 99 Old 08-31-09, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Kevin Haskins wrote: View Post
Yea... looks great! Every room is different but EQ is definitely a useful tool. I've said it a million times but the SMS-1 is a great tool. It makes the process much easier than cobbling together the various bits and pieces to measure and EQ. You pay a slight premium for the tool but it has extra functionality and it GREATLY simplifies the measurement EQ process.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Yes that might be true but I guess it all came down to cost for me. Also the REW seem to do the exact same thing and being able to make many measurements with the REW and average them out seems to work great for me at the moment. Not sure the SMS-1 can do that?

If I ever decide to build two subs I will even consider the new SVS EQ - better start saving those pennies :=)

post #44 of 99 Old 03-10-10, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Update:

Thought I had some problems with the driver but I don't think so anymore.

I did these tests using Lonely Ravens opus dei song. I think I could've pushed the driver even further but didnt wan't to risk anything.

Here goes:

Conclusion though is - I need 1 more sub to really fill my room and get better distribution of the bass. Nothing new in this just me getting my prioties straigh for next sub project

Sorry for the poor vid quality btw
post #45 of 99 Old 06-19-10, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Small update.

2 new cabs for my dual setup which took a bit longer than expected. Original plan was 2 subs but started out with one, in a cabinet that was build for the mael x gen I driver.

Here's 2 new cabs with a qtc 0.8 and around 85 liter netto.

So plan is now another behringer amp as 1 amp will struggle to feed both subs in this alignment.

Next thing is to send these cabs to the painter, it will be high gloss white. Plan is one sub in the front, and one in the back as per the harman white paper theory. Not sure if I can EQ well enough with the BFD though, but we shall see!

Last edited by clausdk; 06-19-10 at 08:12 AM.
post #46 of 99 Old 06-19-10, 10:44 AM
Shackster

Nice craftsmanship! I'm going to steal that design for the bracing if you don't mind, LOL! Cut plans? Also, are the tops slightly curved, or an optical illusion from the camera?
post #47 of 99 Old 06-20-10, 02:38 AM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Quote:
B's Mach wrote: View Post
Nice craftsmanship! I'm going to steal that design for the bracing if you don't mind, LOL! Cut plans? Also, are the tops slightly curved, or an optical illusion from the camera?
The bracing on those is AWESOME

Can't wait til you finish them and take some measurements in room Thats a lot of driver in a small box.

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #48 of 99 Old 06-20-10, 05:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Drizt wrote: View Post
The bracing on those is AWESOME
Agreed!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #49 of 99 Old 06-20-10, 05:48 AM
Shackster
ben

awesome looking boxes! looking forward to see how they compare with the larger ones.

great work!
post #50 of 99 Old 06-22-10, 07:17 AM
Shackster

The bracing is really nice, like the design.