Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins. - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 99 Old 10-11-10, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Re: Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins.

Here's some pics that belong in the first post. The imageupload I used back then was cancelled, so using picassa now.

ADMIN: Images copied to first post.

There is no image for #4: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lQIUSgiULvs/TD...02%20front.jpg

Last edited by clausdk; 10-11-10 at 03:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 10-11-10, 08:06 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I have updated that first post for you, but image #4 is not showing up.
post #63 of 99 Old 10-11-10, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

I'm having some problems getting it linked, not sure why. Lets just leave it out then no worries.

post #64 of 99 Old 10-13-10, 08:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

If you need help linking images in Picasa let me know and I'll try to give you hand. I've been using Picasa for a while now and am somewhat handy with it.
post #65 of 99 Old 10-15-10, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I really like these enclosures, very nice work, Claus. Did I miss the details about your curved top on the new cabs? I'd love to know how you did it. Did you use multiple layers of thinner material and bend them?

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #66 of 99 Old 10-15-10, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
evilskillit wrote: View Post
If you need help linking images in Picasa let me know and I'll try to give you hand. I've been using Picasa for a while now and am somewhat handy with it.
Thanks.

I was able to link all the other pictures in the album, but for some reason that particular one kept making an error msg once linked into this board. I used the exact same procedure to link that one as the others.
post #67 of 99 Old 10-15-10, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
I really like these enclosures, very nice work, Claus. Did I miss the details about your curved top on the new cabs? I'd love to know how you did it. Did you use multiple layers of thinner material and bend them?
Thanks alot.

The box is actually just square. The curve on the top is then shaped via hidden ribs. Like an airplace wing, then covered with a thin MDF sheet at the top. To make it rigid it's filled with foam!

Sides are cut in 45 degree angle.

All of this ensure no visible joints.

I experimented with laquer and it seemed that a 50% gloss was easy to work with and give it a prof look without being too much and also not revealing too many small errors in the veneer.
post #68 of 99 Old 10-18-10, 10:33 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Any pics of the interior? I'm trying to figure out the easiest/best way to do that type of curved top, while maintaining nice tight corners and seamless joints on the outside for finishing. I'm not quite sure how to make the 2 parts connect, unless you just slap it on and maybe flush router it after?

- OJ -

post #69 of 99 Old 10-18-10, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Any pics of the interior? I'm trying to figure out the easiest/best way to do that type of curved top, while maintaining nice tight corners and seamless joints on the outside for finishing. I'm not quite sure how to make the 2 parts connect, unless you just slap it on and maybe flush router it after?
This time around I had the cabinets delivered as they were build so cheap for me I couldnt match that price almost myself.

I'll ask him though how exactly he does it.
post #70 of 99 Old 11-01-10, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Small update.

Almost done with one of the new 2 boxes. Just one more sanding then the final coat.

I'm REALLY considering the LMS ultra for these 2 new boxes instead of the Maelstrom. Thoughts? on paper they will perform almost the same but the LMS will have a lower system Qtc.

Don't mind the mess in the background, only place I can laquer and make a mess without getting into trouble

Here's the result so far.