Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins. - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 99 Old 11-02-10, 04:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Re: Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins.

these look fresh. Love the bracing. Very good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 99 Old 11-24-10, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Thanks.

I went ahead and ordered a LMS ultra from Parts Express! They are in back order at the moment so delivery is possible not until the new year! Since I'm overseas, it'll be another 2-4 weeks. Expected arrival date is early feb! ohh the wait haha.

I'm starting off with 1 LMS and my current mael x in the other cabinet. I'll compare the two for my use in my room and see if the price difference is worth another LMS for my setup.

It models a little better in a 3 cubic feet cabinet and I'm hoping for more SQ and slightly more output from a small footprint.
post #73 of 99 Old 11-25-10, 11:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

From my experience with TC products You wont be disappointed. there SQL subs in the car audio world. and they are low end monsters. I love TC sounds products.

post #74 of 99 Old 11-27-10, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
clausdk wrote: View Post
Small update.

Almost done with one of the new 2 boxes. Just one more sanding then the final coat.

I'm REALLY considering the LMS ultra for these 2 new boxes instead of the Maelstrom. Thoughts? on paper they will perform almost the same but the LMS will have a lower system Qtc.

Don't mind the mess in the background, only place I can laquer and make a mess without getting into trouble

Here's the result so far.

That looks ace

What is the system Q of each driver in these boxes, and how big of a room are they going in?
post #75 of 99 Old 11-27-10, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

The mael x in the 3 cubic feet box models to around 0.7 to 0.85 depending on the amount of polyfill. Exodus audio suggests 0.8 in this alignment.

The LMS models to be less than 0,7 even with no fill, but I'm adding "walls covered" in unibox and turns out around 0,64.

My room is around 2500 cubic feet I think. Next to it though, is a larger room only seperated by quite thin doors. So I'm not considering my space sealed off really. Also one of the doors is usually open during viewing.

Only two more months of waiting until I can finally finish my dual sub project

Next project is getting rid of ringing in 32 and 37 hz area!
post #76 of 99 Old 11-27-10, 04:32 PM
Elite Shackster

I usually aim for a Qtc of around .675 and find that to be best. However, that is using drivers known for a good upper bass sound. That willl probably hold true for the LMS driver but from what I read the Exodus drivers arent so profound in the upper bass area, and it may well be the .7-8 is better for that driver anyway.

I cant comment from direct experience with these drivers, but my first thought is that the LMS would be better all round, it will likely sound deeper with similar upper bass punch to the Exodus and if I'm being honest, I would expect the LMS to have the better SQ from these two.

Like I say, I cant comment from experience, but based on what Ive studied, I would go with the LMS personally if I had to choose myself and budget wasnt a consideration.
post #77 of 99 Old 11-27-10, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Thats my understanding as well. When I planned my two subs to begin with the LMS wasnt available, and certainly not at a good price.

I'm really looking forward to getting both subs up and running and compare then. Ultimately I might end up with 2 LMS - then down the line I'm thinking to add 2 more subs for a total of 4 subs. Wife has approved it already. Lucky me!

I'm working on different finishes as well, it's a lovely hobby!

Thanks for the insights, appreciate it.
post #78 of 99 Old 01-22-11, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Update.

This has finally turned into an actual dual subwoofer thread!

I finished my two cabinets finally and yesterday I took delievery of 1 LMS ultra driver.

Last night I installed my current maelstrom x driver into the new cabinets. New alignment is Q around 0.8 and to be frank it sounds superb right now. I havent noticed any real loss of output but it seems tigther.

It might be in my head but I think to my self that I know this driver well enough now, that I can detect a difference.

I'm not entirely happy with my own wood veneer job. It's the first time I've worked with it. Unless they are in direct sunlight during the day and you get very close up, they seem pretty seamless and good looking. I suspect I will view them from my couch 95% of the time and from 16 feet they look just fine and you cannot notice any imperfection.

Here's a few pictures of the new cabinet and also the LMS driver which comes in a new very smart packaging.

Mx in new 3 cubic feet cabinet: (The green tape was to see excursion, I need a better looking emblem there:-)

Before putting in the driver. I found some cheap pillows which turned out great. Hard to notice on the picture, but on every screwhole I mounted a 22mm plywood "brick" so that the screws grip into 44mm.

Here's one without fill and you can notice the high gloss feet plate I made for them.

LMS ultra. It really is heavy.

Last edited by clausdk; 01-22-11 at 04:02 AM.
post #79 of 99 Old 01-22-11, 05:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Michael

I recommend adding some cross bracing in the box. Maybe some dowels

Michael
post #80 of 99 Old 01-22-11, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Too late:=)

Screws worked just fine. I've added another 22mm of plywood so screws dig into 44mm which seems to give me an extremely tight grip and fit.

I'm using the same EQ setting as usual, seemed to work out, which surprised me a bit.

It's early to comment but first impressions during music playback is that the LMS just sounds clean and full.

Mx appears to perform better in the new cabinet, atleast to my tastings. All in all quite pleased so far.

Now comes the trial and error of getting both subs up and running

The two subs.