Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins. - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 99 Old 01-24-11, 04:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Re: Dual box sealed 18" Mal X build begins.

Nice Job Clausdk....

I'm sure you can easily notice the difference in SQ between the 2...
Gotta get some real grunt amp behind that LMS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 Old 01-24-11, 05:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

I know its early days but which of the two do you prefer? What are the defining features of each?

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #83 of 99 Old 01-25-11, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Warpdrv wrote: View Post
Nice Job Clausdk....

I'm sure you can easily notice the difference in SQ between the 2...
Gotta get some real grunt amp behind that LMS...
Thanks.

Better amps are certainly welcome. I haven't clipped the EP4000 yet and the in room response is flat to down below 20hz without boost at 20hz.

If I get to a point where I feel amp limited I might look into it. "cheapest" hefty amp available to me is the Crown XLS 5000: http://www.thomann.de/gb/crown_xls_5000.htm

That actually seems like a decent amp, but it costs more than twice that of a EP4000. Also I was confident to fan mod the EP4000 for silent drive.

I just felt that ~+3db for that extra cost wasnt worth it with my current budget restraints.

However, if there is actual SQ to desire from getting a better quality amp I might feel more inclined.

Thoughts?

post #84 of 99 Old 01-25-11, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

Quote:
Drizt wrote: View Post
I know its early days but which of the two do you prefer? What are the defining features of each?
Still working on EQ settings.

Both drivers are great. The maelstrom x performs great in the 3 cubic feet enclosure and in my room atleast I don't even need to boost 20hz.

First word that came to mind when only running the LMS in my usual solo subwoofer spot was: CLEAN souding and full!

The LMS is capable of a real tight kick drum beat with the right amount of decay, just sounds natural despite my rooms shortcommings.

When manually pushing in the cone it's quite stiff compared to the Maelstrom. Just a note, not sure exactly what that would mean for musicality.

I've spend the most time listening to music actually, in regards to dailing them in.

It's been a tripple improvement for me.

First of all having two subs is really the best upgrade so far. First REW measurements showed me no dips and the bass across our couch is much flatter with no absurd peaks and dips in either end! What a blessing. Wife complained about booming bass on "her" side...She did'nt comment on that last couple of movies and she is quick to notice boomy bass it seems.

Better cabinets. I think the new cabinets are just right for me in terms of size and aligment. The new veneer look also enhances the cosyness of our living room which needed a little warmth

LMS driver. Simply superb. More testing and listening to do, but so far hasnt dissapointed. Being twice(?) as expensive as the maelstrom one would expect it to perform better, which to my ears it does. It's not night and day and tbh I was very happy with the Maelstrom but the LMS just has the upper hand on SQ, which I value above pure output.

I have a friend looking into building two 18" subs. I would recommend either sub to him. If he can stretch the budget I'd say go with 2 LMS, if not - be very happy getting two maelstrom.

It's natural progression.

I started with a cheap cerwin vega sub, then a cheap 10" ported velodyne, then a big 12" ported SVS, then a sealed Maelstrom and now the king of subs - the LMS ultra!!

Measurement.

I've made 4 settings on my reciever I can toggle between. +0,+3,+6,+9 db. As seen here I run my subs a little hot. Getting two subs clearly allowed me to run them even hotter without it sounding bloated.

I need bass traps, but I'm not sure I can help my 30-40hz ringing. Will mid wall on either side cancel those modes?

Last edited by clausdk; 01-25-11 at 01:45 AM.
post #85 of 99 Old 01-25-11, 01:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Thanks for the reply mate.

I look forward to seeing some REW graphs comparing the LMS to the M-X in the same cabinets. Would be very interesting.

I envy you guys that get lots of bottom end room gain No such thing in my room

Source: SB Duet, Pre/Pro: Integra DHC-9.9, Speakers: SGR MT3FSL (active), Sub Amp: Crown K2, Subs: 2x SGR Maelstrom-X (125L Sealed)
post #86 of 99 Old 01-25-11, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

The purple trace is the LMS the other the Mx.

Measured right infront of the cone of each of the subs.

Quite similar to expected performance also according to unibox. Mx rolls off later, but then steeper, and the LMS rolls off sooner, but then less steep.

It's not a dramatic difference! Also bare in mind these measurements are far from scientifically correct!

post #87 of 99 Old 01-25-11, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Drizt

Thanks for the measurements mate.

post #88 of 99 Old 01-26-11, 04:25 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

Gotta love the LMS18 drivers!

A quick glance at your waterfall suggests your room is pretty good. The modes already have a fair amount of damping - I can tell because they don't ring out dramatically. Could you show out to 300 Hz? That is important as well and you'll often see more about how the room is behaving there.

Are you thinking of mid wall point traps? You have 20 corners to do first! Bass traps are massively more effective in corners, do them first.

I like to run my subs a little hot as well. THX recommends 10 db which is about what you have. I like the start the increase a little higher than you have.

The question is now, can your mains keep up with two pretty impressive 18" subs?

Writer for Hifi Zine &
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
blog
post #89 of 99 Old 01-26-11, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
claus_dk

I was thinking about moving the subs themselves to mid wall positions. However, it is sounding very good right now, and WAF is way better up front right next to the main front speakers.

So unless moving the subs to mid wall position on either side of the room gives me superb benefits, I see no point. A thing to test when I come around to it though.

I do need bass traps. I have 8 panels already, hanging at various spots, but they are oly 1 inch panels so not really helping the bass alot.

I will most likely construct some panels myself using 100mm rockwool with around 1 inch air gab behind them.

I'll make some higher frequency measurements next time I bring out the testgear

Regarding my main front speakers they are Dynaudio focus 220. They use two 5.5inch drivers. It all integrates well right now, but certainly a larger floor stander would'nt hurt!

Running the Dynaudio's in pure direct mode, listening to CD's, they produce chest pounding bass actually, and go rather deep as well.
It was a huge upgade to get them compares to my older ones - Audiovector C2.

Down the line my goal right now is the Sonus Faber Cremona M. But I think right now, to enhance my overall experience, a larger TV is where my money should go I have this "big sounding" sound system and viewing on a 42" 6 year old plasma 16 feet away!!
post #90 of 99 Old 01-26-11, 08:03 AM
Senior Shackster

paulspencer

Here's a suggestion ... elevate a sub to ear level in the listening position, then move the mic all over the place. Then look over the plots and it will give you ideas on the best locations for both subs. Look for the locations that will eliminate the most dips, then you can EQ out the peaks. Add that to bass trapping and then you get a global improvement. I've also time aligned the subs (but haven't really tested the difference). Putting all that together I'm now getting the most dynamic, punchy and accurate bass I've ever managed. It's a lot better than what I could achieve before the traps. In your case, I don't think you'll get the same improvement with bigger traps because in that measurement the waterfall looks pretty good. But you never know til you try it, and I think you are best to put in as much trapping as you can.

Writer for Hifi Zine &
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
blog