Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #21 of 51 Old 03-01-17, 10:37 AM
Shackster

Don

Re: Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build

Looks like the neighbors will get to enjoy the power of the new subs also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 03-01-17, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Gdaddy wrote: View Post
Looks like the neighbors will get to enjoy the power of the new subs also.
I ran into my neighbour when I was out cutting the baffles, and I told him I'd try to keep it down when they get set up. Lol.

I'm actually very curious to see how much sound will escape the basement and the house when all is said and done. Our house is detached, but the neighbour is about 5' away.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 51 Old 03-01-17, 12:33 PM
Shackster

Don

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
I ran into my neighbour when I was out cutting the baffles, and I told him I'd try to keep it down when they get set up. Lol.

I'm actually very curious to see how much sound will escape the basement and the house when all is said and done. Our house is detached, but the neighbour is about 5' away.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Our house is detached also and I live about 20' from the house next door.

My pair of 12" subs, when you crank them up a bit, can be heard to the end of the street. Bass really travels and can resonate inside other spaces pretty easily. You will definitely be cranking out some major 'subwoofage' ... you'll see!

post #24 of 51 Old 03-01-17, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Gdaddy wrote: View Post
Our house is detached also and I live about 20' from the house next door.

My pair of 12" subs, when you crank them up a bit, can be heard to the end of the street. Bass really travels and can resonate inside other spaces pretty easily. You will definitely be cranking out some major 'subwoofage' ... you'll see!
I was kind of afraid of that... lol. I know on some quiet nights I can hear bass from someone's house, and I doubt anyone in my 'hood has a really serious setup. Once I get everything all set up and dialed in to my liking, what I'm hoping to do is have my wife run demo scenes, and I'll walk around outside, and if necessary then pop in to each neighbour on either side of my house, just to see what its like. I'm sure being in the basement will help, and I'll have some degree of soundproofing. I don't think I'll be keeping anyone awake at night, but I wouldn't be surprised to have some sound outside the house for sure.

- OJ -

post #25 of 51 Old 03-01-17, 04:16 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Deep bass sound waves can travel great distances, but it's not a linear spread of sound..
Your neighbour 5' away may not feel or hear anything, but the guy three doors down the road might have his teeth rattling or his eardrums bouncing!
There's no guarantee of who will be affected by it..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #26 of 51 Old 03-02-17, 09:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Owen, it's easy to get the center. Cut some small spacers to fill the gap created by the original cut. When you clamp it, it will be dead center. Just tap a nail through the cut out into the backer board. Clamp it together before nailing of course! You should be able to shave off the right amount. Don't worry about the spacers, just cut right through them. How much do you need to trim?
post #27 of 51 Old 03-03-17, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Deep bass sound waves can travel great distances, but it's not a linear spread of sound..
Your neighbour 5' away may not feel or hear anything, but the guy three doors down the road might have his teeth rattling or his eardrums bouncing!
There's no guarantee of who will be affected by it..
We'll just have to see who the unlucky neighbour is in this case, I guess!

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Owen, it's easy to get the center. Cut some small spacers to fill the gap created by the original cut. When you clamp it, it will be dead center. Just tap a nail through the cut out into the backer board. Clamp it together before nailing of course! You should be able to shave off the right amount. Don't worry about the spacers, just cut right through them. How much do you need to trim?
Thanks Tonto, I had a few minutes to myself last night, and I took a look at doing it this way. I think I can make it work, but the baffle is small enough that I can't fit clamps on the corners and get the router around. I do have a solution, I think.

I mocked up a board with the circular cutout on it, and played with spacing. Once I thought it was feasible, I centered the cutout and screwed it into the board, and put a couple of clamps on each end. Here's where it's going to get tricky... Since I'll have to remove the clamps as I go around those corners, I'm going to try to tape the board in place as a secondary method of securing it. If that won't hold without some wiggle until I can get the clamps back on, then I'll just have to screw into the backside of the baffle. I still have to measure my distance and add a new pivot hole to my template. I should get this all done over the weekend, and I'll post some pics on Monday.

- OJ -

post #28 of 51 Old 03-20-17, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I'm still alive, and so is this project. It's been a few weeks of intermittent activity due to flippin' COLD weather and kid stuff, but I've slowly chipped away at things to the point where I feel like I can post again.

I managed to slightly enlarge the woofer cutouts successfully by reinserting the previous plug, screwed to a long board that I clamped into position on the baffle (thanks, @Tonto !). This, after very careful measuring, gave me my exact centre again, and let me use the router jig to go around and take an incremental amount off the inside. It worked very well, actually. To save time and trouble, I picked up a flush trim bit and used it to copy the cutout to the second baffle. It was my first time using one and I was quite impressed.

Once I was happy with the fit of both the inner and outer baffles, I glued them together and used the stack of unbuilt enclosure panels to weigh them down because I thought this would be more uniform pressure than I'd get with clamps.

Next I mocked up a test fit of the first enclosure to check my cuts, confirm assembly order, and to measure for some bracing. I had some vague plans for bracing, but when I saw the actual dimensions I have to work with I scrapped them and just made some on-the-fly decisions. The sides will have 3 cross braces, top to bottom will have 2, and the piece that is in place in the picture below is how the rear panel ties in to one of the 3 lateral cross pieces. I think this should do the trick when I get it all set up. I didn't have zipties handy, so I made some handles for the woofer out of twine. I also decided to bail out on the T-nuts and threaded inserts, and to stick with screws, so I started gluing blocks on to the back of the inner baffle to give some more depth to bite into.

I went to see if HD carried any nice looking black cap head screws, which they didn't. I did see these though, which look interesting, assuming the integrated washer head is the right size for the woofer basket. If I go with these I might shoot them with a bit of black paint before sinking them. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0025.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0026.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0027.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0028.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0029.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0030.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0031.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0032.jpg  

- OJ -

post #29 of 51 Old 03-20-17, 12:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Coming along nicely, I see! Love those pics, thanks!!
Owen Bartley likes this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #30 of 51 Old 03-20-17, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

The screws look good Owen..providing they will fit in the basket rim..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!