Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

8Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 03-21-17, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Re: Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build

"When it rains it pours", I guess. I had some more time to put in work on the first cabinet, and glued up a second side (the top, in addition to a side, actually) as well as the remaining two "side to side" braces (sitting vertically now for glue-up. The side panel that is on top is just resting there to keep the 2 braces stable and square while they are glued at the "bottom" only. If I can continue to get a little in over the next few days I should be able to finish the first one by the weekend. But now that I just went and said that, and stated a date, guess what's going to happen...? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0033.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0034.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0035.jpg  

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 03-21-17, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
The screws look good Owen..providing they will fit in the basket rim..
Thanks Prof. Next time I get out to HD I'll grab a pack and see. They seem like they'll do a good job. Am I overcomplicating this by not just using coarse thread wood screws or drywall screws with a washer? Probably... but I'm OK with that.

- OJ -

post #33 of 51 Old 03-21-17, 05:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Yeah..I looked at all sorts of screw fixings including T nuts when I built my sub and finished up just using wood screws and washers!..
Owen Bartley likes this.

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #34 of 51 Old 03-21-17, 05:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Nice work Owen, mic the holes in the woofer before you go to HD, them mic the screws there. Save the trouble of getting them home & having to return them. I do like the way they look though, and I really like the torx feature.
Owen Bartley likes this.
post #35 of 51 Old 03-21-17, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Nice work Owen, mic the holes in the woofer before you go to HD, them mic the screws there. Save the trouble of getting them home & having to return them. I do like the way they look though, and I really like the torx feature.
That's a great idea. I didn't buy that digital micrometer for nothing!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

- OJ -

post #36 of 51 Old 03-23-17, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

And I now feel like I've accomplished something. Enclosure 1 is assembled, and came out not too badly. There were definitely mistakes made, but nothing too critical. The first half of the enclosure came together REALLY nicely and I was astonished at how tight my edges and corners were joining up. I squared up and glued in my last braces, and was pretty happy with how they worked out.

The first noticeable mistake came when I was test fitting the final panels, and - oops! - I had measured and cut the braces for an inset panel instead of a panel that would be attached to the outside of the adjoining walls. No big deal, I was off by exactly a panel width, so I added some spacers to the braces. You can see the blocks up on top. Now it's a nice tight fit.

My next mistake was the order I chose to assemble. Basically at this point I was left with 2 side panels and the baffle to go together in one step (because of the stepped baffle I couldn't slide it in very well if 3 sides were closed in). I thought I could manage it not too badly with the 7 long clamps I had, but I really should have had 3 more. I made due, and got strategic about where clamps went, and then I used weight on the baffle when I ran out. I could have used a couple more to help pull a few corners into square a touch better, but it came out OK.

The final result from this morning's unclamping. It's not the prettiest, but it's solid. It will need a good amount of filling and sanding before I can think about finishing it, but at least I do feel like I got a good seal. Almost all of the interior corners had a fair bit of squeezeout, which I was able to run a finger over to complete most edges. I'll probably run a quick bead of something over a few of the final joints internally just to be safe.

And now I get to do it all over again! With the next one I'm going to start with the baffle, and work my way around a side or 2 at a time. That should help me to keep things tight, and not leave me gluing in 3 dimensions at a time. I'll probably just post the final when the next one is completed, since it will be more of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0036.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0037.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0038.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-uxl-18-0039.jpg  

- OJ -

Last edited by Owen Bartley; 03-27-17 at 02:41 PM.
post #37 of 51 Old 03-23-17, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

For some reason I can't open the 4th page of this thread on my computer no matter what I try, so I can't edit that post to insert the pics. It's been that way for the last couple days on my work computer. I'll try from home tonight. Anyone else having trouble?

Nevermind, all good now.

- OJ -

Last edited by Owen Bartley; 03-27-17 at 02:44 PM.
post #38 of 51 Old 03-23-17, 10:06 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
For some reason I can't open the 4th page of this thread on my computer no matter what I try, so I can't edit that post to insert the pics. It's been that way for the last couple days on my work computer. I'll try from home tonight. Anyone else having trouble?

Tapatalk is most likely the culprit. Seems people have a lot of problems with that. On a laptop I can open any page of your thread.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #39 of 51 Old 03-23-17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Weird. I think it's my work computer actually, I can get on with Tapatalk just fine.

- OJ -

post #40 of 51 Old 06-07-17, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

OK, I've been shamefully neglectful of both this project and this thread, but I have made some progress since my last posts. The big holdup was that I was waiting for my new flush trim bit to come from China. It's a $6.00 Amazon special, and as you can see, it really is "trump card quality". But more to the point, it worked, and as far as I'm concerned it worked pretty well. I had a few wiggles, but overall didn't make too big of a mess with it.

Next I moved on to filling. I wanted to try something other than the Dap drywall compound I had used before, so I picked up a small tub of Elmer's ProBond Max wood filler. I think it would be nice when working with large areas or gaps, but since it seems to be textured, it isn't great for the tiny gaps I had here. I made it work, and there was only one area that needed buildup. At least it sands well.

Next, I wanted to get moving with the details on the enclosures. I had planned to do a large chamfer around the top of each box. When the time came to get to work, the chamfer bit I had wasn't very big, but I figured I could always get a bigger one and go over it later if I wanted. I ended up liking the profile as-is, so things were going great... until I realized that I had just done the SIDES of the enclosures instead of the TOPS. I had them with sides up after sanding, and hadn't remembered to check the orientation I was so gung-ho to start using the router. D'OH! Well, it just meant that now all corners would be subject to the chamfer treatment. Not the end of the world. My helper for the afternoon seemed to think they were still a good home for his dinos.

Attached Thumbnails
Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170520_145805_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170520_160633_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170522_205923_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170528_134846_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170528_141337_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170528_141343_hdr_resized.jpg  

Owen's Dual UXL-18 Sealed Build-20170528_145511_hdr_resized.jpg  

- OJ -