Combo! Sealed Sub below Mains - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 70 Old 04-14-10, 04:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Combo! Sealed Sub below Mains

Nicely done! How do they sound?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 04-14-10, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

They sound great- the positions actually have room gain that the Mal-X doesn't, but sound very clean, with that upper bass 'punch'. I can run them during regular tv without any fan noise and localization of bass, which was something I was really hoping to improve with these. The best part is having the bookshelves instead of the in-ceiling fronts, which were very directional and had only a center of room sweet spot, when we typically are seated in the back. I'm really surprised how efficient the E3.12's are, even sealed, because the spl they achieve with low amp gain is substantial.
post #63 of 70 Old 04-14-10, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

I lined these sealed subs with foam mattress pad and stuffed about a 2/3 pillow in each (I guessed it would be 2lb fill), with some space above each driver. Should I be concerned that stuffing will fall into the driver? I tried to roll it and place it so loose pieces wouldn't fall, but over time I'm wondering if gravity, etc will bring it down towards the voice coil vent.

post #64 of 70 Old 04-14-10, 10:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Reed

Ironglen,

Nice work, very professional.

I had the same issue with fill in my down-firing front subs. I supported the fill material by criss-crossing some yarn above the driver.

Reed

post #65 of 70 Old 04-14-10, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Thanks for the compliments guys. I was working on getting a better finish on them, then thought better of it as I figured hardly any of the painted surfaces were going to show when the bookshelves were placed on top.

Reed, I'll have to open them up sometime and do something similar to retain the stuffing. I just picked up some resistors to modify a couple nht foster amps we both have- I'll have to let you know how it goes. I'm adjusting the hpf from 29hz to 24hz as I have a sub tuned to 27hz, and reduce the 6db boost at 35hz to 0.2db
post #66 of 70 Old 04-17-10, 12:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Looney

My System

I'm loving the functional speaker stands, but something I saw kind'a caught my eye...

Please tell me you were doing stuff and had to push the couch out of your way for room

post #67 of 70 Old 04-17-10, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

We only invite 'little people' to watch movies

Seriously, I got tired of moving the couch 180 so, I just moved it forward and left it. My wife wasn't too keen on how it looks there But after a while, she forgot about it If I pull the couch back, the tv is just high enough for the back row to view over the front row noggins without a riser (which simply wasn't going to happen in our living room)

I'm pretty hard-headed, but at least I took advice on the LR fronts- they are SO much better than in-ceiling: well worth the effort.
post #68 of 70 Old 04-17-10, 01:06 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
ironglen wrote: View Post
We only invite 'little people' to watch movies

Seriously, I got tired of moving the couch 180 so, I just moved it forward and left it. My wife wasn't too keen on how it looks there But after a while, she forgot about it If I pull the couch back, the tv is just high enough for the back row to view over the front row noggins without a riser (which simply wasn't going to happen in our living room)

I'm pretty hard-headed, but at least I took advice on the LR fronts- they are SO much better than in-ceiling: well worth the effort.
That pick makes me nervous.
post #69 of 70 Old 04-17-10, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
ironglen wrote: View Post
I just picked up some resistors to modify a couple nht foster amps we both have- I'll have to let you know how it goes. I'm adjusting the hpf from 29hz to 24hz as I have a sub tuned to 27hz, and reduce the 6db boost at 35hz to 0.2db
Wow, I can really tell the difference in response in my 12" sealed sono- for rock music I liked the boost and it could handle it, but never used that combination for HT.

When I used the foster amp with its intended 10" ported sono- the driver couldn't handle it as it would reach xmax, just as Mike P modeled. I'm finishing the build and will be able to use the amp and sub to greater potential, and HT use if desired because it shouldn't reach xmax at full 115w, even below tuning.

I will note that the directions posted by Jack Hidley were spot on: very easy and accurate instructions from the excel spreadsheet to the word document. Anyone desiring an inexpensive 115w amp that has adjustable hpf and boost need look no further- until they're all gone!

Last edited by ironglen; 04-17-10 at 01:16 PM. Reason: addl info
post #70 of 70 Old 04-17-10, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
That pick makes me nervous.
Eh? Pic as in picture, or guitar 'pick'...or the tv? lol, if so, that tricky install completely changed that room-for the better. I love it now, but thought it really stunk previously. I hung the tv with four lag bolts into the 2x4's and was very careful to pre-drill and center them.

Last edited by ironglen; 04-17-10 at 01:22 PM. Reason: addl info