Maelstrom-x 21" 15cu Sealed Build! - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Re: Maelstrom-x 21" 15cu Sealed Build!

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
Wow...very nice build. Great work
I'm even anxious to hear how you think it sounds. Its going to shake everything in your house
I get that now with my small folded horn! What I want, is stuff broken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 09:56 AM
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
Lonely Raven wrote: View Post
I get that now with my small folded horn! What I want, is stuff broken!
haha
I'm sure you can't wait to see this 21" monster moving some serious air.
post #63 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 10:45 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Since you asked about not many questions I have one.

Will you be permanently gluing down the front baffle once you are satisfied with the performance?
I would figure the gasket tape will yield a very good seal but that 21" monster will test it's limits.

Glad to hear about the good HR experience.

Great sub, can't wait to hear how you like it.

post #64 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Since you asked about not many questions I have one.

Will you be permanently gluing down the front baffle once you are satisfied with the performance?
I would figure the gasket tape will yield a very good seal but that 21" monster will test it's limits.

Glad to hear about the good HR experience.

Great sub, can't wait to hear how you like it.
I've used this same rubber-foam tape on my folded horn, which is a complex build, and had great results.

Considering the the baffle is "stepped", and nearly press fits in, air would have several solid panels to snake around. I'm pretty confident the insulation tape will hold considering the physical loads I have on it. And if I do detect leaks (which I'm honestly not sure how to "detect" leaks on this), I have plenty of surface area to add a second line of insulation.

See the steps in the baffle. Two of those layers will sit flush on the box. I could easily add a second tape line.

All this is to insure I can "service" the box or driver should it need it. Granted, I have a 19.5" hole I could crawl into if I really had to, but it's been standard practice for me to be able to open up any boxes I build...even if it's just to try out different damping methods. (or to look at the drivers because it's been so long I couldn't remember what model they were! LOL)

post #65 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

I should probably add, if I don't feel the 2.5" stainless deck screws I'm picking up today will do the job, or they pull through the wood (which I wouldn't be surprised considering this paneling), I'd rather upgrade to bolts and T-nuts on the baffle then glue it all down.

Once I'm sure I have everything sealed and working well, I'll be "finishing" the box by rounding over the corners, and either using a roll on bed-liner type coating, or wrapping the whole thing in leather. It would make a nice ottoman.
post #66 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I like the leather idea, that sucker would take up a whole cow!
post #67 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 11:08 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Sweet folded horn
post #68 of 225 Old 11-20-09, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

EDIT: OK, after taking a breather I got an idea and it seems to have resolved my low output issue. I'll report later after I have some time with this.

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 11-20-09 at 09:11 PM.
post #69 of 225 Old 11-21-09, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Raven

Mini-Update: Last night I had some frustration with the sub and amp. I came home from a bad day at work, ran out to buy some 2.5" screws to put the baffle on, got the whole beastly thing upstairs by myself (it's actually lighter in two pieces, then my folded horn was!). And when I set it up, the output was...well, not impressive at all. I figured I had done something wrong, because the old pair of 10" had easily double the output of this 21". I was heartbroken, and just too tired and frustrated to look at it anymore, so I went out to dinner. When I came home, I remembered that I had been running the old setup with two inputs and two outputs. So I crawled back behind the rack and pulled the 1/4" plug out of input two, and the whole system came to life. So basically, the sub was probably only seeing half the sign wave, and I was only getting about half it's output.

This morning I did a few sweep with REW. I haven't yet pulled my microphone and mixing board out of storage, nor have I run my Audyssey XT on the Onkyo 805. I just wanted to run some sweeps now that I had a good nights sleep and time away from the frustrations of yesterday. I ran REW from 5 to 120Hz, noticed my rear speakers had somehow got set way too low, made some quick adjustments, and....WOW! This beast turns electrical energy into physical energy!

Apparently my DIY projector screen wants to jump off the wall at 15Hz, so I'm going to have to damp the screen and probably velcro it in key places to keep it from walking off the wall.

Overall impression...I have to say, I miss the horn. It just couples with the air better then anything else. It seems to excite the whole room, airspace wise. While the M-21" seems to press more mechanical/physical energy into the room. I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to need to decouple the box from the floor somehow, because the feeling of energy passing through the floor overpowers what the box passes through the air...or maybe not overpowers so much as I feel it before I hear it? So I think making myself a giant sub decoupler might help out here, though that would make it taller yet again, and it's already a bit obtrusive.

Again, all of this is without tuning and without trying out different placement options nor measurements. These are just my first impressions. I have a movie night planned with my friends tonight, so I have to get the sub at least setup enough where Star Trek won't bottom it out or clip the amp. But over this weekend I'll work on re-learning REW and taking some proper measurements.
post #70 of 225 Old 11-21-09, 12:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

A few posts back you said that sliding the baffle into place caused the cone to puff out slightly. You don't want that to happen. With a sealed sub, heat will build up inside the enclosure, and heat causes air to expand - now you will have even more pressure inside the enclosure pushing against the cone. That can mess up the suspension over time.

The trick a lot of people use to counteract this is to place a small pin hole somewhere near the top of the enclosure. This will prevent a buildup of pressure in the sub over time, but should be small enough as to not lose pressure from the backwave while the sub is in use. Someone who uses sealed subs and such a method may want to chime in to give him exact details, as I've never actually done it myself.

As for mechanically exciting the whole room, in my opinion, that the best part I used to have one of my subs in a 3rd floor apartment and it would cause my whole floor to bounce. Now I have two such subs in a one floor townhouse over a concrete foundation and the effect just isn't as good without feeling the ripples of bass run through the floor. The floor still imparts some bass energy, but not nearly to the same level as the wooden floating floor did. In real life, if there is a big explosion, you will feel it through the ground - therefore, a sub that mechanically excites the floor offers a more accurate respresentation of that explosion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.