Tempest X2 5 cubic feet sealed - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-09, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Tempest X2 5 cubic feet sealed

Just wanted to share my 1st HT sub build using one of Kevin's Tempest X2 drivers.

Outside dimensions are 20.75h x 29w x 19.5d

Here is the box already underway. I'm gluing in the .5 inch plywood as braces.

View from the bottom (downward firing box)

I was just going to screw in the driver and placed some plywood blocks as a backing to give the screws some bite, but found these 'brad nuts' at the local hardware store. Like t-nuts, but they are secured by small brads (or nails in my case). Sorry for the pic, but I think you get the idea here.

These brad nuts were nailed in and glued down with some hot melt glue. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it from spinning.

Installing the plywood base for the feet.

Close up of the base and foot (from Home Depot).

First coat of gloss black is on over white (yikes!) primer.

I had originally made a cutout for an oAudio amp. Delays pushed delivery to mid January, so I decided to go with the PE 500 HPSA. That meant covering up the original cutout hence the ugly strip you see on the end of the box. This box is going to be wedged between my couch and the wall, so I could live with the add-on.

Tempest arrives!

Amp arrives!

Box is back inside and ready for all the parts

Driver mounted and clearance to the ground checks out at 4.5 inches from the outer baffle.

Box is stuffed, amp wired up and tested, and my new sub is in its new home.

This sub is replacing a BIC America F12 that, while great for the price, just did not have the extension and punch I wanted. The Tempest is not even broken in yet, and I could only sample a movie clip and a song or two, but already the performance of this driver is MILES ahead of the F12 in both extension and impact. After Audyssey calibration, my F12 wouldn't even register a reading on the Radio Shack SPL meter with a 20hz tone, but the Tempest is doing 77dbs at 19hz with the volume on the receiver set at the same level. I'll rerun Audyssey again in a few weeks after the Tempest has loosened up a bit.

I quickly went through the opening scene of LOTR FOTR and when Sauron's severed finger hits the ground, my couch felt like it was moving! The Youtube 'Clubbed to Death' subwoofer test clip got the couch groovin as well. I need to get some more music and movies going this weekend!

BTW, the wife asked me if I was going to make a matching one to go on the other side of the couch! Guess I'm going to have to make plans for another box!

Last edited by lsiberian; 12-18-09 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Got the pictures fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 01:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Re: Tempest X2 5 cubic feet sealed

Nice looking build Brian!
Its nice having a "real" sub huh?
I couldn't believe how much of the frequency spektrum I was missing out on once I got the Mal-X finished.

That's funny that your wife ACTUALLY asked you if you were getting another one. That must be a sign saying that your good with painting and building the box.

Enjoy moving the couches around...and various pictures on the wall.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Brian

Thanks Dylan,

The finish on this box is FAR from being decent. I'm kind of grateful my phone has such a camera because you can't make out any real detail in the pictures! As with any project I gained some useful knowledge for the next one.

I can see why people get so addicted to the bass and sub-bass frequencies. It makes movie watching a more involving experience. Nearfield placement also helps! Tracking down rattles and squeaks are no fun however.

You going to put a second Mal-X in your room?

post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 04:30 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Nearfield placement also helps! Tracking down rattles and squeaks are no fun however.

So true! Did you spray or roll on the paint?

We're all in this together!

post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 11:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
BigHonu wrote: View Post
Thanks Dylan,

The finish on this box is FAR from being decent. I'm kind of grateful my phone has such a camera because you can't make out any real detail in the pictures! As with any project I gained some useful knowledge for the next one.

I can see why people get so addicted to the bass and sub-bass frequencies. It makes movie watching a more involving experience. Nearfield placement also helps! Tracking down rattles and squeaks are no fun however.

You going to put a second Mal-X in your room?
Haha, I know all about rattles and squeaks, as I have a top shelf with Texaco planes and cars all over it. They used to be all neat and spaced out nice, but now the Mal-X has moved them all over the place. It's actually turned one plane around backwards...strange.

I wish I could put a second Mal-X in my room, but I highly doubt my parents would let me, and it would cost me too much. Maybe it could be a Christmas present for next year???......that would be awesome lol.

By the way, you should check out the opening scenes of Transformers 2. It has some pretty bass in it.

Build log:

post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Brian

MikeP,
I rolled the paint on and learned two things in the process. 1) use a good roller and 2) multiple thin coats. I used a cheap sponge roller and rolled it on thick. TONS of air bubbles all over the place that ended up drying with little raised edges.

Dylan,
Mt parents would have NEVER let me put something like that inside the house! Car was a different story however. If you think you don't have cash now, wait until you have kids!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 02:55 PM
Senior Shackster
David Burn

You could hit the box with some Wet and Dry sand papper to remove the bubbles, and with a Foam smooth roller, roll a final coat, what type of paint are you using? If the paint is to thick it will always leave large bubbles so so you need to thin down the paint and apply lots of coats with a light sand in between each coat.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-09, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Brian

Quote:
davidburn wrote: View Post
You could hit the box with some Wet and Dry sand papper to remove the bubbles, and with a Foam smooth roller, roll a final coat, what type of paint are you using? If the paint is to thick it will always leave large bubbles so so you need to thin down the paint and apply lots of coats with a light sand in between each coat.
Thanks for the tips! The paint was a water based latex. The guy at my local hardware store suggested it. He said it would be able to handle the scrapes and water usually seen by end table pieces.