90 litre single 15" driver project. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 02:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Re: 90 litre single 15" driver project.

A while ago when I was 16 I built a replica Bose Acoustimass bass module with two 6 1/2" subwoofers. When I built it I left one side wall re mountable to So I could tune the chambers by moving the two baffles in it. As a result I got a pretty good sounding sub with higher output. Bose speakers seem to me a bit cheap for what you pay for them. But at the same time they sound pretty good too. I am still up in the air with them. The first set of pix is the style I replicated.

Not sure what design you are targeting So I found some pix for you this is there old Style bass module.

And this is there newer bass module. I think you were referring to the first one.

I'm thinking if your going to build a box with 2 15"s like that its going to be Crazy Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

I actually owned one of the older style bass modules with a lifestyle system. The results were very good given the size of drivers they used, but not when compared with a true sub woofer. I really do wander what a design using proper sub bass drivers would sound like. Boss subs (in commercial use) are very large indeed, which I think is probably a good guide as to how a DIY effort would end up.
post #23 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 02:54 AM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

yeah compared to a real subwoofer there is no comparison. I talked to bose once and they would never call there's a subwoofer. So at least there being honest. One guy even told me the frequencies produced from there cubes can make you feel fatigued? He worked at best buy, Not so sure if that's true but sounded kinda funny.

post #24 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

I think Bose instruct their reps on this, as I've noticed it from every Bose dealer. The small cubes are IMO more like tweeters that go lower than normal. With a Bose system you basically get a system of 5 speakers with the bass driver removed, and a pseudo mid tweeter combined into one for minimisation. Then a mid/bass driver placed inside a cabinet of unusual design so it goes pretty low and you only need one.

Personally, I think they ask a bit much of the systems for them to be any more of a lifestyle choice, but then thats exactly where they aim their product. I dont think Bose products are bad, I just think they are for people that dont really get overly critical about their systems, and can afford the premium.
post #25 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 03:14 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I had he single cubes and sub in my bedroom with a cheap sony receiver. I think it was the Acoustimass 6.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-ent.../AM6/index.jsp

I have to say it was pretty awful to say the least. I personally don't like the sound of bose. My friend had one of the lifestyle systems and while the surround effects were great the bass from the module wasn't. And when you think how much they bang them out for. Ouch! The design of it looks pretty good and something like that with 2 15's would I am sure sound awesome.

cheers

Graham
post #26 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Just got the finish more or less complete. All I need to do now is fit the driver, amp, acoustic wadding, and test the baby. Pic below, I'll add one of the complete cab later. Pic is re-scaled so doesnt look quite as good as it should.
Attached Thumbnails
90 litre single 15" driver project.-finished-750-x-1000-.jpg  

post #27 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

And here is the final completed sub, one AV15-X DF 500, catchy model number I think . All I need to do now is test it and delivery it to its new owner tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
90 litre single 15" driver project.-amp-flush.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-amp-flush-2.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-view-amp.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-wadding-.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-driver-fit.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-spikes-driver.jpg  

90 litre single 15" driver project.-testing.jpg  

post #28 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 11:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

That is beautiful, well done!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #29 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 11:37 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Dan,

Looks the dogs mate. Really good work there mate. Did you do it or was it done by someone you know. Really impressive!

Boy! is he going to be pleased when he gets it in his living room eh.

cheers

Graham
post #30 of 48 Old 03-28-10, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Cheers guys, glad you approve of it.

Graham, I did pretty much all the work apart from the actual spraying of the cab, which I had a friend do. Its by no means perfect, but I'm quite happy with the end product, especially for a first effort.