Acoustic Elegance dual 12" diy sub..... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:08 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

Re: Acoustic Elegance dual 12" diy sub.....

just noticed moonfly you said 100db @ 10db... doesnt make sense, but im going to assume you meant 10hz. I'd go with the 50l box, aim slightly larger as youve got 2 drivers to account for, but not much larger. maybe 55 so that your not out so much volume. looks quite nice, and moonfly has experience with the AV line, so i'd expect him to be a great resource for this driver. Go for it and get back to us on what you think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

prize

Thanks Mike....as space is an issue, we're trying to work out the best possible compromise, and am open to all advice/opinions.
post #13 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

By my calculations the box would be a 430 mm cube to have a net volume of 50 liters. That's tiny by my standards, and the performance should be excellent.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post

Your benefit would be stereo subs will be just as loud as 2 in one box, but they'll extend deeper and have a flatter in room response with two. Plus less is more when it comes to equalization. And its not like your EP4000 can't handle one sub per channel. :P
These drivers wont go any deeper separated than they would together. Like you say though, separating them would improve EQ but stacking, or combining maximises gain. This dual driver sub will be driven from one channel. By running a 2 ohm load, we can increase the wattage output by the single channel to a theoretical maximum of 2kw, which is perfect for these drivers. It would also leave a spare channel for that ever inviting second sub

Quote:
im not an LLT enthusiast, i don't know what you're talking about ... lol, Yeah i guess im overshooting a little bit, did you take driver volume into account? (could get you back up pretty close to where i was :P) anyways, yes, i agree. he's looking for chest thump and not subsonics. Dual 12s (not opposed i'm assuming) in the single 50l box would be great! i'd still go bigger if i could. its totally worth overshooting your build requirements as you won't be living there forever i'd assume and upgradeitis affects everyone lol.
We could go a little bigger, and Ive pondered going larger as internal volume could be reduced for experimentation using a block etc. System Q is important in sealed subs though, and depending on your requirements, your target Q will change. The .6xx target here is what I think will suit prize the best IMO.

Quote:
just noticed moonfly you said 100db @ 10db... doesnt make sense, but im going to assume you meant 10hz. I'd go with the 50l box, aim slightly larger as youve got 2 drivers to account for, but not much larger. maybe 55 so that your not out so much volume. looks quite nice, and moonfly has experience with the AV line, so i'd expect him to be a great resource for this driver. Go for it and get back to us on what you think about it.
Oops, sorry, I'll have to fix that. Yes I meant @10hz. The 50 litre volume is what will be required after drivers and bracing is accounted for. A value of 3 litres per driver will be what is worked to, plus there will probably be a brace in there as well. I'm tempted to recommend the 55 litres though, it only lowers the Q by .02, and the model shows the drivers can handle the power.
post #15 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
By my calculations the box would be a 430 mm cube to have a net volume of 50 liters. That's tiny by my standards, and the performance should be excellent.
Bear in mind that a push/pull alignment requires one driver to be outside of the box. The best way to cover this up is to under sling it and build the box taller. The volume is small, but the cabinet would need to be a little larger than the volume suggests. A 450 cube will give a 55 litre volume, but the height would need to increase by about 250mm.
post #16 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

prize

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's roughly what we had.....a small footprint will suit its intended position though. I'm really hoping the performance is excellent.
post #17 of 83 Old 05-05-10, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

see, bigger is better, lol. i still dont like the idea of being smaller than 1 cu ft per 12 incher sealed. its... too small. lol. moonfly has definitely thought this through, i didnt realize he accounted for everything already.
post #18 of 83 Old 05-06-10, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

prize

Well i think the 'perfect' size for the drivers comes out at around 55 litres, so still small, compared to some i've seen, but looking at the projected figures, it'll have some awesome performance. Still, bigger than my current svs sb12+, which, so far is the best 'in my room' bass i've heard to date, so i'm hoping for quite a step up in the quality stakes.
post #19 of 83 Old 05-14-10, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Ok, Ive built the basic cab and got the drivers in to do some testing. Final volume comes out at 57 litres, minus 3 ish for the driver, so about 54 litres. Just giving it a listen to now before I take it apart again and begin the finish. I'll give it a couple days of testing to ensure its spot on.

Anyway, pictures . . . . .

(I will add them later when I can upload, I'm getting an error ATM )
post #20 of 83 Old 05-14-10, 04:35 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

Moon, wasnt prize doing the build!? lol. I love how infectious playing with this stuff can be. What i meant when i was saying separating them is to give them each the same size of enclose (55l) not 55l combined! lol. Which would allow the driver to get a little lower without any eq.

Most people won't listen to these types of subs at their limits, so i figured if he could go lower without losing too much headroom, than he would be getting the best bang for the buck.