MK Kit DIY sub build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 03-27-11, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Re: MK Kit DIY sub build

Yeah its all 25mm, although I doubled up the baffle (more or less) by adding 18mm behind that. The cabinet was too big though, as I had to guess a little on dimensions. It worked out 90 litres but I displaced around 30% of it in the end.

Still a bit to do, but money has run out for another month. When I can, I need to fill it, sand it and then paint it. I also need to make a grill and add in some poly fill. I will experiment with it a little, then when I know I am happy with the size, I may remake it and finish that box instead.

I'll update things when I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-27-11, 02:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looks good Dan!

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-27-11, 07:39 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

For Christ sake moonfly !!!!

You are an inspiration, pouring out the builds buddy !!! So cool my good man, keep up the great work.

Keep us posted on the final analysis ;-)

post #14 of 16 Old 03-28-11, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ive managed to get it sounding as it should now (man Ive missed having a sub ) and the impact this fairly small and low powered design delivers is ridiculous. Its a little wild at times, but not in an uncontrolled way, just a bit of an animal. For anyone wanting a compact design, I cant really say anything wrong about these MK's, really cant.

Given the cab is oversized, and I simply wont ever need a larger cab as the design cant handle it anyway, I have decided that next month I will make a new cab to the correct size. The I can take my time finishing it to a good standard without having to suffer the inconvenience of no sub.

The new cabinet will be 60 litres, but use the same design. This will reduce the overall dimensions by about 30%.

The paint, while a little expensive, did go onto raw MDF very nicely, so getting a nice finish from it should be very realistic. I think that I will eventually settle on basic satin black. It wont be on show in my home and any other colour would be at odd with everything else. I did fancy trying a veneered finish, but I simply just dont have the need. I am however toying with the idea of a black faux leather finish, although I think the unusual cabinet design may make the very impractical. Ultimately, I think basic satin will be the finish.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-07-17, 07:33 AM
HPG
Pending

I plan doing a similar sub but dont knopw where to find the woofers? Who makes them?
post #16 of 16 Old 12-12-17, 09:36 AM
Shackster

Nice build!

Basshead 4 Life

Sony XBR65X900E
Sony STR-DN1080
Sony PS4
Quantum Access Fanless Mini PC Stick
Wow! Ultra Cable
8 x Rockville SPG88 DJ PA Speakers
Dayton Audio SA1000 Sub Amp
Kicker 08S15L74 sub in a T-TQWT (negative flare tapped horn)