Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!! - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #161 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
A high pass filter would be a good thing when your using a single LMS Ultra with a big amp and adding boost down low that sealed enclosures need.

Radio Shack used to carry a SPL meter for around $35 but you would have to check and see if it's still available. Most receiver calibrations don't do a great job on the sub channel so that is why it's good to have a SPL meter to double check.
This amp has a high pass filter. it goes...Flat..30hz...40hz..50hz. i have it on flat.

I will check on the spl meter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 06:54 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

"Actually the woofer moved quite a bit. most i have seen it. ....ummmm....i...ummm. yes i am plugging it all onto one circut and into the conditioner. Not sure if i mentioned this, but i cranked up the volume and it set off my conditioner and shut all my equipment down."
`
I think you've identified SOME of the problems.
IE: The power conditioner was maxed out by the CE 4000 drawing too much juice on sagging voltage trying to satisfy the demand put on it by the Ultra which in turn was trying to satisfy the boosted infrasonics being maginified through the Mini DSP. You unintentionally CAUSED the perfect electronic storm resulting in the Subwoofer burping on some clipped signal from the CE 4000.
Crown data sheet shows that the amp CAN be used bridged on 4ohm and 8ohm loads. Their data sheet also shows that output capability drops as voltage drops. Crown's output specification in watts ratings are @1000Hz. I'm guessing the amp produces LESS power at 20Hz and below just like any other amp.
Crown data sheet shows it to be capable of running on 240 volts. If the output of the amp and the Ultra doesn't satisfy your need for infrasonics running on 120 volts, consider running the amp on 240 volts.
The Ultra voice coils are 2 ohms each. If they are wired in (series) the voice coil resistance RE is 4 ohms the minimum suggested by Crown running the CE 4000 bridged. If the Ultra happens to be wired in (parallel), the resistance RE will be LESS than 2 ohms! The CE 4000 would NOT be able to deliver full rated power to that kind of load without clipping.
Plug the CE 4000 into it's own electrical circuit and breaker, NOT just another outlet which still may be on the same circuit breaker with the power conditioner.
Make sure the Ultra has the voice coils wired in SERIES and NOT parallel.
Try running the Ultra and the amp without the Mini DSP and see how the combination handles the same passage of TRON where the noise occurred.
Consider running the CE 4000 on 240 volts.
Then report back here.
post #163 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
"Actually the woofer moved quite a bit. most i have seen it. ....ummmm....i...ummm. yes i am plugging it all onto one circut and into the conditioner. Not sure if i mentioned this, but i cranked up the volume and it set off my conditioner and shut all my equipment down."
`
I think you've identified SOME of the problems.
IE: The power conditioner was maxed out by the CE 4000 drawing too much juice on sagging voltage trying to satisfy the demand put on it by the Ultra which in turn was trying to satisfy the boosted infrasonics being maginified through the Mini DSP. You unintentionally CAUSED the perfect electronic storm resulting in the Subwoofer burping on some clipped signal from the CE 4000.
Crown data sheet shows that the amp CAN be used bridged on 4ohm and 8ohm loads. Their data sheet also shows that output capability drops as voltage drops. Crown's output specification in watts ratings are @1000Hz. I'm guessing the amp produces LESS power at 20Hz and below just like any other amp.
Crown data sheet shows it to be capable of running on 240 volts. If the output of the amp and the Ultra doesn't satisfy your need for infrasonics running on 120 volts, consider running the amp on 240 volts.
The Ultra voice coils are 2 ohms each. If they are wired in (series) the voice coil resistance RE is 4 ohms the minimum suggested by Crown running the CE 4000 bridged. If the Ultra happens to be wired in (parallel), the resistance RE will be LESS than 2 ohms! The CE 4000 would NOT be able to deliver full rated power to that kind of load without clipping.
Plug the CE 4000 into it's own electrical circuit and breaker, NOT just another outlet which still may be on the same circuit breaker with the power conditioner.
Make sure the Ultra has the voice coils wired in SERIES and NOT parallel.
Try running the Ultra and the amp without the Mini DSP and see how the combination handles the same passage of TRON where the noise occurred.
Consider running the CE 4000 on 240 volts.
Then report back here.
Ok, i see that i wrote that wrong. when i was being asked about the power conditioner i wrote that it turned everything off. That wasnt the same time when it made the pop. I just put on some rap and cranked it up really loud to see what it can do.

But yes, i am going to do this. I will run the power to a different room

Last edited by brandon123; 05-16-12 at 08:57 PM.

post #164 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Last edited by brandon123; 05-16-12 at 09:47 PM. Reason: going to try another test first
post #165 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 09:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

You do need some form of EQ to boost the low end if you really want to experience what the LMS Ultra is capable of. You will still get excellent music bass as it's roll off point is in the 40's or lower depending on room gain. What you will be missing is bass below 35 to 40hz were a lot of movie bass resides unless you have a room with a lot of room gain down low, you never know. The only way to know is to measure the response with Room EQ Wizard which is available to download for free here on the HTS but you will need to get a mic pre-amp and microphone to measure. You can also get a Velodyne SMS-1 that I mentioned before which will not only measure but gives you the ability to add boost down low, add a high pass filter and EQ the response, all with a visual display on your TV.

Last edited by sub_crazy; 05-16-12 at 09:58 PM.
post #166 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 09:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post
This amp has a high pass filter. it goes...Flat..30hz...40hz..50hz. i have it on flat.

I will check on the spl meter
You don't need to use the high pass filter (HPF from now on) on the amp, just keep it flat like you have it now.
post #167 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

well, I haven't tried the scene that lound since the pop. So maybe another variable has come into play that i am not thinking. But there is definately no more pop/woosh since that part was removed. So tomorrow, i am going to test it and see if that was in fact the issue or maybe it was some setting that was changed

The good part, is that i know the problem was solvable somehow.

Last edited by brandon123; 05-16-12 at 10:09 PM.
post #168 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

The 220 Volt add in looks much easier than i thought.

http://youtu.be/XMgwZDtR4tw
post #169 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 11:24 PM
Senior Shackster

robert

Brandon,

A different room does not neccessarily mean a different circuit.
post #170 of 446 Old 05-16-12, 11:35 PM
Senior Shackster

robert

I would bet that the problem is in the electrical supply. Remember, if you have the system fired up and the curling iron on and the blender and etc and etc, The result will be severely compromised performance from your system. Unless you actually wired our home, you really have little idea of what is actually powering what. That being said, you could easily find out by tripping breakers and seeing what is being powered by that particular breaker. For example, in my theater room, I have a dedicated circuit to each of three lighting sytems on the ceiling. II have a dedicated circuit for my computer equipment, and four circuits for outlets and add ons as needed. That does not include my sound system which has its own dedicated service. It is hard to see the need for this until your lights blink and noises come from the drivers, but when you have enough power feeding the system, you can eliminate some of the bad things that are going to creep up. So, make sure your am is plugged into a circuit in your house that is not being used. Such as the outlets in a spare room, or even try to use the dryer cuircuit as a test if you can reach it. A long speaker cable and rca cable will aid you there.

Good luck