Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 07:47 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post
I was originally going to use a behringer ep2500 but after seeing this test thread, i figured the crown would be a good match. Anything higher power would probably be either too hard to find or out of my price range. so i hope it does good.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aled-100l.html

The anti-mode is discussed in this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...de-8033-a.html
There is a link in that thread where a person does a test with it that came out pretty good. i believe the cost for the cinema version of the antimode is around 350-400 I have been reading on the EQ's but it can seem quite overwhelming when your trying to jump in it.

I haven't seen the warpdrv's subs. i have googled it and come up with nothing. do you have a link
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...xlerators.html

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
I bet your right about it being 7. At 70 dollars I believe I am going to make a practice box with cheaper material. Because I'm sure when I get done I'm going to wish I would have done this or that differently. It's something I'm going to have for a long while, so what's an extra 50 bucks and a week or two
post #13 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 01:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
I am undecided about a EQ. My original idea was to buy the ANTI-MODE 8033. The guy i got the Crown from said it was unessesary due to it had a crossover built in???
The Anti-mode is the wrong EQ for this application as you need something to manually apply the needed boost down low that sealed subs require.

Then easiest solution is the Velodyne SMS-1 as it combines a real time graph and measurement solution and it's customization is user friendly: http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-SMS-1.../dp/B000CEGI50

There are other devices that can be used as well like the MiniDSP and Behringer products such as the DEQ2496, Mic2200 and the Feedback destroyer. All of these need an analysis tool like the Room EQ Wizard that is available her on the Home Theater Shack for free but you need to add a microphone and mic pre-amp to use it's functions.

post #14 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

i'm soing to have to check into that one a bit more. seems to get mixed reviews on this site. many have complained of a humming noise.

For my next question.......When using a really good wood glue, can i use an air gun with finishing nails instead of screws???
post #15 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 10:29 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
i'm soing to have to check into that one a bit more. seems to get mixed reviews on this site. many have complained of a humming noise.
With the SMS-1? I know the others I mentioned do have problems with hum but have never heard of problems with the SMS-1. Just make sure you get something that will allow you to add boost down low.

I have to make a correction about the Anti-mode now that I read more about it. Even though it is an automatic EQ it does have a lift 15-25hz mode which boosts frequency's between 15 and 25hz with a max 8db boost but it also engages a 10hz HPF which is OK in my book but others might not like that. I did not know this about the Anti-mode so now it looks like a viable alternative. I still like the SMS-1 better as I like to tailor the response my-self and also be able to see in real-time what is going on.

Here is a screen shot of the SMS-1 so you can see how easy it is:

Quote:
For my next question.......When using a really good wood glue, can i use an air gun with finishing nails instead of screws???
If I am in a hurry I use an nail gun with 1 1/4" brad nails but fasteners are not needed if you wanted to just glue and clamp. The fasteners are only there to hold the wood together while the glue dries, once the glue dries it is what holds the box together. Careful with nails or screws on the corners if you want to apply a round-over, this is when you just want to glue and clamp. I use Titebond II all the time, a lot of people like PL Premium but it is really messy and it will take a few days to get it off your fingers if you don't use gloves. PL is great if you don't have tight glue joints as it expands as it dries. Just keep your glue joints tight with no gaps and Titiebond II will be your best friend.
post #16 of 446 Old 05-03-12, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I got the Subwoofer in the mail today. It was very easy to put together. I was expecting something a little more complicated. Let me say, its one thing to see them on youtube video's and pics, but its another to hold one in your hands. sucker is impressive. (for a thousand bucks though it should be lol)

I am still tossing it up on the sms-1 and the auto-mode. Actually tried to buy (best offer) an sms-1 on ebay today but they wanted almost new price for a used one. so that was a no go.

I decided to try something before investing 500 in the saw. I am going to get a straight edge and clamp it down to the wood and just butt my skill saw next to it for a straight cut. i know it will take longer than a table saw to get everything lined up, but i'm thinking it should work out for what i need. I bought a better saw blade for it. i got a freud ultra finish 60t. (best one they had for a 7 1/4 that i could see).

I went with your recommendation on glue.. at least i thought i had, i didn't get the titebond II i accidentally grabbed the titebond III because i couldn't remember.

Also went to get some wood clamps, them suckers arent cheap. Had no idea a wood clamp would run 30 bucks. wasn't sure how many i would need, so just grabbed a couple.

Also got a new framing square. ones i had are worn out from being used on metal.

Now just gotta figure out a table to cut on (thnking saw horses) and i will be ready to get with it. I imageine there will be some other hidden cost i'm not thinking of at the moment.

Last edited by brandon123; 05-03-12 at 10:51 PM.
post #17 of 446 Old 05-04-12, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Here is what i've got so far. Laid out my 4x8 sheet.

made:
3--23"x23" (front)

2--21"x23" (top and bottom)

2-- 21.5"x21" (sides)

1--21.5"x 21.5 (back)

So overall this should make the outside dimensions 23.25" x 23" x 23"

On the front i wanted it 3 pannels thick. 2 for mounting and 1 to make speaker look flush. i marked the center of the boards. For mounting it calls for the hole to be 16.82". So i figured this to be roughly 16- 7/8" and marked half the distance as 8 -7/16". i then drilled a 5/8" hole that was 5/16" away from the 8- 7/16" mark. Then routed the hole out.

THIS IS WHERE I GOOBERED IT UP>For the 3rd board i measure the hole to be 18-11/16" I wanted to make sure i didn't make it too small and have to redo it. But unfortunately when i Halfed the distance, instead of putting 9-11/32" i believe i put 9-11/16" so now i got this roughly 3/8" gap around the speaker. frustrating indeed.

Other than that, it went good. I was trying to go to deep on the router which was burning the wood. i figured that out soon enough. still didn't perfect it, but got better.

The straight edge i got to clamp down to butt my skill saw up against, worked out great. I'm very happy with it.

Tomorrow i am going to cut the rest of the pannels. Only got four out of 7. It took me a bit to figure out how i was going to make the holes. Ohh and you can tell that they need cleaning up. I may end up redoing the 3rd board to make it look more snugg, not sure yet.
post #18 of 446 Old 05-04-12, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

here are some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1975.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1977.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1978.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1980.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1981.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1982.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1984.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1985.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1989.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_1991.jpg  

post #19 of 446 Old 05-05-12, 01:15 AM
Shackster
Svendsen

Looks good - front baffle looks solid - keep posting pics:-)

No waste, grab a bar, get saw on.
post #20 of 446 Old 05-05-12, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Svendsen wrote: View Post
Looks good - front baffle looks solid - keep posting pics:-)
Thanks, and i'm going to. pictures are what make threads interesting and add a little more clarity to what is being described. i decided i am going to get some more wood and redo the panel with the hole i made too big. I don't think it would look bad as it is, but, it was my plan to make it look more tight fitting than that.