Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!! - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #51 of 446 Old 05-07-12, 11:20 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

There ya go! I like that.
What was that one screw in the middle of nothing for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 446 Old 05-08-12, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote:
There ya go! I like that.
What was that one screw in the middle of nothing for?
That was the mess up I had mentioned. . I had predrilled a hole where tgere was no wood behind it. So I put glue on a screw and screwed it on. The only way I could think of to fix it
post #53 of 446 Old 05-08-12, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

bracing is finished. Everything is glued and screwed in. I think i over did it on the glue. Well, what do yall think? Is it good enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_2058.jpg  

Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!-img_2055.jpg  

post #54 of 446 Old 05-08-12, 11:50 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Wow! Seriously, that's some of the best bracing I've seen. And for some reason I like that the corners of the braces are cut away from the box.
post #55 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 02:09 PM
Shackster
Larry

Looks great; now get the front baffle completed and the driver installed you're missing out on some quality movie time!
post #56 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 02:58 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post
bracing is finished. Everything is glued and screwed in. I think i over did it on the glue. Well, what do yall think? Is it good enough?
That's excellent, are you going to continue the braces to the baffle, not like it would hurt if you have the extra material lying around?

You really have the chops for DIY and cutting away the corner's is what I always do as well, it's the strongest part of the box so no need for bracing there.
post #57 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Got a problem. Went to test the sub. I have it in Bridge mode. with the amp all the way up the sub barely moves. I noticed the louder i turned the volume up on the receiver, the more it moved. So got to looking at the signal indicator and it would not be lit at low volume and then as i turned the receiver volume wayy up the light would get strong. but at that point its way to loud on the other speakers. I wasn't sure how to solve this problem. so made sure the bass on the EQ was all the way to +10. Then set the distance of the subwoofer at as far as it would go. All speakers are set to small. made a little difference but not anything to get excited over.

The sub is connected directly from the reciever sub output with a 1/4 rca adapter to chanel one on the Crown amp. Then the wiring is for 4 ohm.

The amp is a sony str-dg820
post #58 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
Wow! Seriously, that's some of the best bracing I've seen. And for some reason I like that the corners of the braces are cut away from the box.
Thank u! Like sub_crazy said below, i figured the corners to be strong and i wanted the bracing that i had in mind to take up as little space as possible. So i cut the corners out and put 2" holes.

If you would, take a look at my amp problem. I know you have a different model, but maybe you know what to do.

Quote:
Larry McConville wrote: View Post
Looks great; now get the front baffle completed and the driver installed you're missing out on some quality movie time!
Yes sir, looking forward to it

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
That's excellent, are you going to continue the braces to the baffle, not like it would hurt if you have the extra material lying around?

You really have the chops for DIY and cutting away the corner's is what I always do as well, it's the strongest part of the box so no need for bracing there.
I have always enjoyed building stuff, just never tried my hand at this type of wood working. Done a few privacy fences but thats about it.

I have thought about extending it like you mentioned and probably will do so. Right now this amp problem has me side tracked. Thought it was going to be a simple plug and test. wrong. It has noise coming out but nothing amazing
post #59 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 05:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Sounds like your not getting enough output from your receiver, you probably need a signal booster. Pro gear normally has a higher output than standard home gear so you need something to boost the signal coming out of your receiver. It's been a long time since I have read anything about this but I think people were using the Samson S-Convert or Art cleanbox to boost the signal. Not sure what people are using today though and the 2 I just mentioned are probably discontinued.

I have actually never had this problem with the various receivers/pre-amp and pro amps I have used over the years as I have always had the SMS-1 which has variable volume control to boost the signal if needed.
post #60 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Sounds like your not getting enough output from your receiver, you probably need a signal booster. Pro gear normally has a higher output than standard home gear so you need something to boost the signal coming out of your receiver. It's been a long time since I have read anything about this but I think people were using the Samson S-Convert or Art cleanbox to boost the signal. Not sure what people are using today though and the 2 I just mentioned are probably discontinued.

I have actually never had this problem with the various receivers/pre-amp and pro amps I have used over the years as I have always had the SMS-1 which has variable volume control to boost the signal if needed.
Ok, i turned on some subwoofer music on pandora. found a subwoofer setting under "hdmi" that i never knew existed. turned that from 0 to 10. that made a little difference. Then i started flipping switches in the back of the amp. i turned the sensitivity from 3.46 to .77 and that made a big difference. for some reason i thought the higher number would make it louder. guess not. that cone can really move. i noticed some heat comming off of it pretty quick so i shut it down. i didn't want to melt the thing. Did it get so hot because it was free air movement?