Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!! - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
 2Likes

post #61 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 07:45 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

You found the sensitivity switch. That took care of your volume differential between the mains and the sub.
YES! BE CAREFUL applying full power from the CE 4000 to the LMS Ultra in free air! At least until the driver has been broken in.
Did you feel heat at the voice coil or where? If there's heat anywhere else be careful during the breakin. If the voice coil is rubbing anywhere that may produce some unusual heat into the aluminum cone.
Proceed with caution when playing with the almost $1000.00 driver best in the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
You found the sensitivity switch. That took care of your volume differential between the mains and the sub.
YES! BE CAREFUL applying full power from the CE 4000 to the LMS Ultra in free air! At least until the driver has been broken in.
Did you feel heat at the voice coil or where? If there's heat anywhere else be careful during the breakin. If the voice coil is rubbing anywhere that may produce some unusual heat into the aluminum cone.
Proceed with caution when playing with the almost $1000.00 driver best in the world!
I was next to it looking at the guts of it when i noticed some heat. so i shut it off and touched the cone. it was pretty warm but not hot, it didn't run for very long at all, so hopefully i didn't screw it up
post #63 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

after it cooled off completely, i lightly pushed the cone in and out too see if i could feel friction or hear any odd noises. Nothing. So turned it back on but a low volume and ran it for a minute. Not even warm. Looks fine to me. But no more playing until its in the box!!! Had it burned up, that would have put a slight damper on this project

post #64 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 09:53 PM
Senior Shackster
Joe

Nice find on the sensitivity switch. I was going to suggest that as I was reading along since I have the same amp. The box is looking really good too! Keep it up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #65 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 10:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Coolio! I didn't know the CE4000 had a sensitivity switch, nice!

Phil's right, be careful running the LMS free air.
post #66 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
musikpirate wrote: View Post
Nice find on the sensitivity switch. I was going to suggest that as I was reading along since I have the same amp. The box is looking really good too! Keep it up!
Thanks man! If yours is for a subwoofer also, Could you tell me what you have your other settings on?

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Coolio! I didn't know the CE4000 had a sensitivity switch, nice!

Phil's right, be careful running the LMS free air.
Trust me, i am done with the free air, lol.
post #67 of 446 Old 05-09-12, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Besides trying to make sure my amp and sub worked, i aligned my sub in the baffle and pre drilled my holes with a 3/32 bit. I also went to Lowe's and got some more wood screws and some PL premium. I decided to go with the pl premium for adding the birch because after i sand that one side down i doubt it will be flush and this is suppose to be better for filling gaps if i remember correctly. I plan on painting this a glossy black. If anyone knows a good thread or site for how to paint, please let me know.
post #68 of 446 Old 05-10-12, 12:50 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post

Trust me, i am done with the free air, lol.
`
Actually breaking in the Ultra in free-air is an excellent way to do it. However, it has to be done with a certain amount of engineering skill and technique. NO limiting out the X-MECH, vary the frequency from lowest to highest that it'll see during normal use, make sure the driver is operating in a safe environment away from curious children or other jealous DIYers. Put it on a stable platform the floor is good. Try not to annoy your significant other by playing warble tones of 20-40HZ at night while they're trynna sleep!
How long should breakin take??? I've seen some suggest a week of continuous 24-7, light, low Hz, tones. Others suggest a couple minutes only enough to make sure all the moving parts operate as intended. My own experience is kinda in the middle, a couple hours of varied test tones at partial volume checking frequently to see that the driver is performing as designed. I haven't experienced a point where a driver (all of a sudden) reaches some magical point of "freedom of movement", although I have measured changes over time of the T/S parameters. My experience now includes 2 21" RCF drivers. LOL from 1/2 inch tweeters to 21" subwoofers.
The LMS Ultra is a heavy piece of audio machinery, with moving parts and wiring a 100 times as robust as the lightest tweeters. Care for it like you would the engine of the Titanic don't play it like a . . . . . flute and blow the hell out of it.
post #69 of 446 Old 05-10-12, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
It will probably take some time to break in. I don't listen to music much. I am hoping this will out perform my paradigm seismic 12.

I get off early today and then am off the next 3 days. I hope to have it painted
post #70 of 446 Old 05-10-12, 01:50 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post
I am hoping this will out perform my paradigm seismic 12.
`
LOL I'm sure it will. You've done a great job building the sealed enclosure, you've purchased a well known SUB woofer amplifier with enough power to energize a 16X 25 room to the point of distressing doors, walls, light fixtures, windows, patio doors, etc. and you've got the best 18" driver in the LMS ULTRA.
You are soon to appreciate what many DIYers have experienced in the ultimate subwoofer box/driver combo.
If it doesn't, I'll buy all of it from you.