Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 446 Old 04-30-12, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springdale arkansas
Posts: 166
My System
Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Hello HTS!!

I have been reading over this forum for about 4 weeks now and only been a member for one. Got some pretty good ideas about doing a DIY Subwoofer from reading through the threads. I specifically like a couple members builds ( Island1000 and bassthatHz) that involved an LMS ultra 5400 18". It looked simple, yet effective.

Simple is definately key here due to the fact i have ZERO wood working experience (Steel worker by trade). In fact i bought a router and am going to have to go buy the table saw this week. Maybe one or two tools depending on if its something that would make it alot easier. I plan on building more stuff in the future so i look at it as an investment.

The reason for this build is that i have tried a few compact high dollar subs that sound good but just don't have the umph i am looking for. So got rid of them and for the $$ i think i can do better. ... Hopefully

I am going to try and keep this as detailed as i can, so that way others can chime in and point out my mistakes. I imagine there will be quite a few lol. Also, so others with the same skill level can see what i do and can maybe learn something off my attempt. At the least, it should make for entertainment

Here is what i got comming for the Build so far:

1) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18"
2) CROWN CE4000
3) Dayton Audio ADQM-RCAF RCA Jack To 1/4" Mono Plug
4) Round Speaker Terminal 2-7/8" Gold Spring-Loaded

-I purchased a used but good shape milwaukee router 5615-21.

-I am looking at either the RYOBI r4510 saw or the bosch 4100. Still undecided so any suggestions would be helpful

Got other various tools such as jig saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, little power sander, drills, etc.


I am undecided about a EQ. My original idea was to buy the ANTI-MODE 8033. The guy i got the Crown from said it was unessesary due to it had a crossover built in???

For wood was thinking MDF

EDIT: When I first did the write up I didn't expect it to grow so huge. so to save you time from reading several pages, here is a video of how the build turned out. the mic on my phone makes it sound weird. sucker is a beast. made this video 4/6/2016

Last edited by brandon123; 04-06-16 at 06:41 PM.
brandon123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 446 Old 04-30-12, 11:19 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
chrapladm's Avatar
Papi
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Posts: 5,869
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

MDF is fine. Great for subwoofers. What is the price on the 8033?

I dont know anything about that one but usually would use a MiniDsp.

Your amplifier I dont know enough about but I only thought it had a low pass selectable switch and a Hpass selectable switch. No real EQ.

Using the TC SOunds Ultra will be awesome. From what others have told me you will be amplifier limited. Those 18's like power. More than your amp will deliver. But thats not to say it wont sound amazing with your amplifier. Just saying their is potential for better.

Have you seen Warpdrv's subs?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
chrapladm is offline  
post #3 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 06:00 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Both the Ryobi and Bosch have a max rip capacity of 25" which would be more than enough for a sealed LMS Ultra build but is small if you plan on doing a lot more DIY in the future. Isn't the Bosch over $500? for that I would definitely look into other table saws with a larger rip capacity. I personally would look for used table saws as well on craigslist or other local classifieds. I started off with a Craftsman refurbished portable table saw I got for $100 and it had a larger rip capacity. The thing with these smaller table saws is they tend to have a flimsy fence that you will have to adjust often to get good cuts. For about $500 I think I might like this Rigid instead: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051
Has a little bigger rip capacity of 30" and the fence looks better but that was just searching on the fly so you may find better options out there. I picked up one of the larger Rigid table saws with an all cast iron top and a much bigger rip capacity at the HD brand new when they were changing over to the new saws which I think have been discontinued. They were $300 at the blow out price and luckily I got one of the last ones in my area. It's not a Delta Unisaw but for the small amount of DIY I do it works great and has a much better fence than the portable saws out there.
sub_crazy is offline  
 
post #4 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

I personally prefer 3/4" Baltic Birch over MDF but it can be hard to source as it is not carried at the HD or Lowes. I would definitely recommend you add a significant amount of bracing and the heavier the enclosure the better when it comes to the LMS Ultra, if not it will rock the enclosure.

Here is a pic of the cabinets I made for my LMS Ultra's, it is a layer or 3/4" Ultra Light MDF followed by another layer of 3/4" Baltic Birch for a total of 1.5" thick walls. The baffle is actually 2.25" all Baltic Birch as I wanted a solid chunk to secure the LMS Ultra to.



I wound up using these feet below to help anchor the LMS to the un-carpeted floor it would be sitting on and it never moved:



I know it's over kill but I had the LMS Ultra in a temporary MDF box that had good bracing but the LMS would actually push the box so much that it moved 5" until it was touching the wall. You could actually feel the box shake when I put my hands on it during loud passages so I knew I had to go all out.

Now that I think about it I just saw that Erich from http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ is making up flat packs with very similar bracing as what did. From what I read it should be available in a week or 2 and the 18" flat pack would be perfect for the LMS Ultra as it is about 4cuft.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #5 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 06:15 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

I think your Crown amp will be fine, I read it is 2800 watts into 4 ohms bridged which is about right for a 4cuft sealed enclosure and the LMS Ultra. Sure you could go for more but it wouldn't make that huge of a difference.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #6 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springdale arkansas
Posts: 166
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
MDF is fine. Great for subwoofers. What is the price on the 8033?

I dont know anything about that one but usually would use a MiniDsp.

Your amplifier I dont know enough about but I only thought it had a low pass selectable switch and a Hpass selectable switch. No real EQ.

Using the TC SOunds Ultra will be awesome. From what others have told me you will be amplifier limited. Those 18's like power. More than your amp will deliver. But thats not to say it wont sound amazing with your amplifier. Just saying their is potential for better.

Have you seen Warpdrv's subs?
I was originally going to use a behringer ep2500 but after seeing this test thread, i figured the crown would be a good match. Anything higher power would probably be either too hard to find or out of my price range. so i hope it does good.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aled-100l.html

The anti-mode is discussed in this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...de-8033-a.html
There is a link in that thread where a person does a test with it that came out pretty good. i believe the cost for the cinema version of the antimode is around 350-400 I have been reading on the EQ's but it can seem quite overwhelming when your trying to jump in it.

I haven't seen the warpdrv's subs. i have googled it and come up with nothing. do you have a link

Last edited by brandon123; 05-01-12 at 09:48 PM.
brandon123 is offline  
post #7 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springdale arkansas
Posts: 166
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

[
brandon123 is offline  
post #8 of 446 Old 05-01-12, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springdale arkansas
Posts: 166
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
Both the Ryobi and Bosch have a max rip capacity of 25" which would be more than enough for a sealed LMS Ultra build but is small if you plan on doing a lot more DIY in the future. Isn't the Bosch over $500? for that I would definitely look into other table saws with a larger rip capacity. I personally would look for used table saws as well on craigslist or other local classifieds. I started off with a Craftsman refurbished portable table saw I got for $100 and it had a larger rip capacity. The thing with these smaller table saws is they tend to have a flimsy fence that you will have to adjust often to get good cuts. For about $500 I think I might like this Rigid instead: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051
Has a little bigger rip capacity of 30" and the fence looks better but that was just searching on the fly so you may find better options out there. I picked up one of the larger Rigid table saws with an all cast iron top and a much bigger rip capacity at the HD brand new when they were changing over to the new saws which I think have been discontinued. They were $300 at the blow out price and luckily I got one of the last ones in my area. It's not a Delta Unisaw but for the small amount of DIY I do it works great and has a much better fence than the portable saws out there.
Excellent, this is the kind of response i was looking for on the saw. Its funny but the link you listed was actually the saw i was looking at when in home depot. I must have copied the number wrong. And i have been leaning toward that one. I'm not looking to wheel it all over the place. just going to be in the garage.

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I personally prefer 3/4" Baltic Birch over MDF but it can be hard to source as it is not carried at the HD or Lowes. I would definitely recommend you add a significant amount of bracing and the heavier the enclosure the better when it comes to the LMS Ultra, if not it will rock the enclosure.

Here is a pic of the cabinets I made for my LMS Ultra's, it is a layer or 3/4" Ultra Light MDF followed by another layer of 3/4" Baltic Birch for a total of 1.5" thick walls. The baffle is actually 2.25" all Baltic Birch as I wanted a solid chunk to secure the LMS Ultra to.



I wound up using these feet below to help anchor the LMS to the un-carpeted floor it would be sitting on and it never moved:


I know it's over kill but I had the LMS Ultra in a temporary MDF box that had good bracing but the LMS would actually push the box so much that it moved 5" until it was touching the wall. You could actually feel the box shake when I put my hands on it during loud passages so I knew I had to go all out.

Now that I think about it I just saw that Erich from http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ is making up flat packs with very similar bracing as what did. From what I read it should be available in a week or 2 and the 18" flat pack would be perfect for the LMS Ultra as it is about 4cuft.
Birch is offered here locally an i think its only 15 more bucks per sheet. so if thats the better wood to go with then i will. I like the looks of your box and all the bracing. I might steal an idea or two from it.

Quote:
sub_crazy wrote: View Post
I think your Crown amp will be fine, I read it is 2800 watts into 4 ohms bridged which is about right for a 4cuft sealed enclosure and the LMS Ultra. Sure you could go for more but it wouldn't make that huge of a difference.
It seemed to fit spec wise on the watts, either way, its gotta be better than what i have now

Last edited by brandon123; 05-01-12 at 09:44 PM.
brandon123 is offline  
post #9 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 12:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

The pics of my box is the actual birch that is stained and I used 3/4" Maple 1/4 rounds for the edges so the ply is not visible.

Here is a pic of the box with the maple 1/4 rounds in place prior to final sanding and stain:



I had a local shop do the stain for me as I heard that stain was tough on birch and would come out blotchy. I should have practiced on some scrap and did it my-self though, just as long as you pre-treat the wood first I hear you can get good results and I know I could have done as nice or better than what the furniture repair shop did. I also heard that a glaze stain would be the proper stain for birch but I never really looked into it, next time I guess.
sub_crazy is offline  
post #10 of 446 Old 05-02-12, 01:01 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 1,633
My System
Re: Sealed TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" NOOB STYLE!!

Quote:
brandon123 wrote: View Post
Birch is offered here locally an i think its only 15 more bucks per sheet. so if thats the better wood to go with then i will. I like the looks of your box and all the bracing. I might steal an idea or two from it.
You will want to make sure it's 13 ply Baltic Birch, you may be talking about the 7ply birch that Lowes and HD carries but that can be loaded with voids.

Here is what 13ply BB looks like from the sides, notice there are no voids in the ply's:



7 Ply can be good as well as long as it doesn't have voids in it and sometimes you get lucky. It is cheaper, I think HD has the 7 ply birch 4 x 8 for about $47 the last time I checked but shop grade Baltic Birch 3/4" 4 x 8 was close to $70 but it is MUCH better material.

Ply's are more difficult to cut though and I would definitely recommend a zero clearance insert made for the Rigid you are looking at you table saw and a good blade like this Freud LU79R010 Thin Kerf Ultimate Plywood & Melamine Saw Blade 10 inch. I had a hard time cutting with my normal rip saw and a friend recommended those items and it made a huge difference.
sub_crazy is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
240 volt , birch , crown ce 4000 , diy , lms-5400 ultra , mdf , sealed

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome