Single SI HT 18 build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 73 Old 01-12-13, 09:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Any more details on how your bracing is done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 Old 01-12-13, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Single SI HT 18 build

For the bracing I started by cutting all pieces slightly oversized as its really hard to cut them exact in the first place, also its hard to keep the glue super clean on the edges. After they dry I then trim them on all sides on the table saw to the exact sizes. Then I just used a jig saw to cut out the middle to the desired shape, then used a plunge router with a 1\2" round over bit for all the inside edges. I glued them in in stages so that I could maintain square using clamps where possible and 2.5 inch deck screws everywhere else. First I clamp the brace in place with no glue, then drill pilot holes for the screws, screw in the screws, then pull them out and take off the clamps. I then apply glue to the brace then reinsert the screws, this pulls them back nicely to where they should be. Then I reapply the clamps. Rinse and repeat for all brace pieces.

Got the back on today. I forgot to take a pic until it was on and I had it caulked up. Yeah, I got a little carried away with the caulking.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-27.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-28.jpg

Thats all I got done today as I had some work to do as well as watch my Broncos lose in double overtime.
I plan on cutting the baffle tomorrow.
post #13 of 73 Old 01-12-13, 11:10 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Merriam Webster defines "inert" as Code Reds subwoofer cabinet...

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #14 of 73 Old 01-12-13, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Lol jman. Yeah its a bit ungainly. I moved it from the table to the floor at the point when I didnt think I could get it there on my own. That was before the last side and the back. I forgot to mention that I got one other thing done today, I weighed it. 135 lbs without baffle or driver. Not as bad as I thought though. My plan is to have a friend help me just get it up the little 3 inch step from my garage onto the main level of the house. From there Im hoping to use furniture sliders to get it in to place as its ceramic tile all the way.
post #15 of 73 Old 01-13-13, 01:15 AM
Senior Shackster

Nothing wrong with over built. Nothing wrong at all.
post #16 of 73 Old 01-13-13, 01:19 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

A wool blanket would also work wonders. I have had to do the same with many of my monsters. Just me here to move things so you use what you can. Looks awesome again. Love the thick bracing.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #17 of 73 Old 01-13-13, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Worked on the baffle today. First I clamped all 3 pieces together then drilled pilot holes and screwed in screws without glue for attaching the outside mdf piece to the inside plywood pieces that I had already glued together. I then routed out the woofer holes using the same center pivot point.

Since my model 200 Jasper jig only goes up to 18 3/16" I had to do some modding to get it to the 18 5/8" needed for the outside baffle cut.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-30b-.jpg
Getting set up
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-31.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-32.jpg
This is the outside baffle piece cut out. I removed it from the inside pieces as this cut out is bigger than the hole that I will cut out of the the rest of the baffle.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-33.jpg
This is the 2 layered plywood inner baffle cut out and set on the box. Note the ring around the hole. I got the previous cut just a hair too deep. No big deal though.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-34.jpg
This is with the outside piece laid on.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-35.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-36.jpg
Test fit. I went with 16 5/8" for the inside cut.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-37.jpg
Fits perfect
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-38.jpg
With the outside piece on.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-39.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-41.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-40.jpg
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-42.jpg

Im thinking of using a 1/8" roundover bit on the outside cutout. Then I need to decide whether to use t-nuts or just screws to attach the woofer. In another thread I asked for opinions on this and got some good advice. I ordered a 1/4" heavy duty t-nut kit from parts express so I have it if I go that way, but it definitely adds another step to the build. After I get that done I'll drill holes for the binding posts, give it a good vac job, add poly fill, then glue on the baffle. I wish I didnt have to work tomorrow.
post #18 of 73 Old 01-13-13, 09:38 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System

I had to cut a hole in my brand new Jasper jig too, and I'm glad you posted the photo of the vac hose on the router since I have the same router and couldn't figure out how to hook mine up
post #19 of 73 Old 01-13-13, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The vacuum attachment on this plunge base really works well, I recently did some fixed base routing and the mdf dust is incredible.
post #20 of 73 Old 01-14-13, 12:57 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I used 1/4" round over to start on my edge and ended up using 13mm instead. Tell us how yours goes.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.