Single SI HT 18 build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 73 Old 01-14-13, 09:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System
Re: Single SI HT 18 build

Looks awesome so far! I like the idea of the little 1/8" roundover to smooth that last edge a bit. Are you going to roundover the other four edges of the baffle to match inside? From what I understand besides looking really cool it reduces standing waves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 Old 01-14-13, 02:32 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Code Red wrote: View Post
First I clamp the brace in place with no glue, then drill pilot holes for the screws, screw in the screws, then pull them out and take off the clamps. I then apply glue to the brace then reinsert the screws, this pulls them back nicely to where they should be.
I like this method, it sounds like a great way to make sure things stay where they're actually supposed to. Nothing worse than having everything all measured and tweaked to dry fit perfectly, and then having it pulled out of alignment by a screw that wouldn't cooperate.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 73 Old 01-14-13, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Long work day so I didnt get anything done on the box, maybe tomorrow. yes I do plan a roundover on the outside, probably just on the sides and leave the top and bottom just sanded over a bit. I picked up an inexpensive 1" radius roundover so Ill give that a try.
Single SI HT 18 build-dsc01011.jpg

post #24 of 73 Old 01-15-13, 02:48 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Hold on to that router with those helicopters. I have a 1" and 1 1/4" I use. They will run away on you if you dont watch.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #25 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Good advice on the big roundover bit, I thought I'd start with a 1/2" bit then ease into the 1". I only have 4 edges to do so I'll take it slow.
Worked on mounting hardware for the woofer today. After a long work day so I was kind of beat, but still I think things turned out ok.

Started out using a cheap 1/8" roundover bit on the outside woofer cutout. Exactly what I wanted.

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-51.jpg

I had an issue with just loose fitting the mounting screws through the woofer holes. First off I'm using 1/4" bolts and t-nuts. I thought maybe the big thick rubber gasket-tire like thing fitted on the outside of the metal basket itself is only meant for 3/16" bolts. So I looked at it from the back side, pulling the thick rubber gasket away so I could see the hole itself. It seemed plenty big. I realized that I'm not going to get a good fit with this big rubber gasket on, so I just took it off. Luckily, I guess, its not glued on. Then I seen I had another problem. The surround. Yeah its really tall and high and excursion capable. It's also thick, at least a 1/16". My particular surround was also glued on like this:

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-43.jpg

Every hole. If its not clear from the pic; the surround holes aren't glued in place with the basket holes. Sometimes an 1/8" is important. I tried one hole, just pushing through the surround; yeah this happens:

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-44.jpg

Well that's just ugly. I then took a new exacto knife and very carefully cut out every hole, which is not easy, like I said this is some thick rubber. An hour later I had shaved away enough to see the actual basket holes. Hell yeah! Now I know where to drill.
Make shift 90 degree jig.

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-47.jpg

Thanks to dougc and his killer build for his excellent visual tutorial on how to install t-nuts.
This is after all t-nuts in glued and dried.

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-48.jpg

1/2" Chamfer action. I already had this bit, so didnt want to buy a bigger one. I think it will work well enough though. It might be a bit dull though. Get it, a "bit" dull. Humor, I love it!

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-49.jpg

Yep, its dull, plus I was going slow to see things.

Single SI HT 18 build-sub-50.jpg

Thats it for today.

Last edited by Code Red; 01-16-13 at 12:54 PM. Reason: language
post #26 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 05:55 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Were the holes not predrilled already?

As in there was no surround in the way of the whole from SI?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #27 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 08:00 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

"I had an issue with just loose fitting the mounting screws through the woofer holes. First off I'm using 1/4" bolts and t-nuts. I thought maybe the big thick rubber gasket-tire like thing fitted on the outside of the metal basket itself is only meant for 3/16" bolts. So I looked at it from the back side, pulling the thick rubber gasket away so I could see the hole itself. It seemed plenty big. I realized that I'm not going to get a good fit with this big rubber gasket on, so I just took it off. Luckily, I guess, its not glued on. Then I seen I had another problem. The surround. Yeah its really tall and high and excursion capable. It's also thick, at least a 1/16". My particular surround was also glued on like this:"

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Were the holes not predrilled already?

As in there was no surround in the way of the whole from SI?
What he means is that the cutouts on the outside edges of the surround for the mounting holes were not actually lined up with the mounting holes on the metal basket when the surround was glued on. The cutouts on the surround are made before the surround is glued to the basket at the factory so basically, if the person attaching the surround is not careful, all of the holes will not line up.
Both of my SI 18"s are this way. Nick from SI and I have had a few emails back and forth about it which included photos of mine. Hopefully they will get this straightened out (pun intended) in the next round of shipments.
post #28 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 08:51 AM
Senior Shackster
bg

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
I had to cut a hole in my brand new Jasper jig too, and I'm glad you posted the photo of the vac hose on the router since I have the same router and couldn't figure out how to hook mine up
Here's a simple tip...you can always use a different sized bit with the jig. The difference in hole size will be the same as the difference of the router bit used (to the standard 1/4").
post #29 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 01:28 PM
Shackster

Quote:
bgarcia17 wrote: View Post
Here's a simple tip...you can always use a different sized bit with the jig. The difference in hole size will be the same as the difference of the router bit used (to the standard 1/4").
not completely right. a 3/4 will only get you an extra 1/4 over the standard 1/4 bit. i had to drill another hole in mine also. just go up to where the 18 5/8 would be and measure over 1/2 inch from hole center.
post #30 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 02:06 PM
Senior Shackster
bg

Quote:
txredxj wrote: View Post
not completely right. a 3/4 will only get you an extra 1/4 over the standard 1/4 bit. i had to drill another hole in mine also. just go up to where the 18 5/8 would be and measure over 1/2 inch from hole center.
How do you figure? Doesn't the radius of the circle increase by half of the difference in bit sizes? Which means you gain the whole difference in diameter. Imagine the sizing was referenced to the center point in the router bit chuck (which it should be, since the mounting holes intend for the bit to be centered in the jig's bit hole). The scale (markings) is then adjusted for the 1/4" bit. I may be seeing it wrong though. Btw, I sometimes use a smaller bit when I'm not happy with the 1/16" increments, and it works as calculated. Wouldn't be the first time my old brain failed me though.