Single SI HT 18 build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 03:05 PM
Shackster

Re: Single SI HT 18 build

lol right you are, i was thinking of just the radius and not the full diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 03:50 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System

That is a lot more wood to cut too with a larger bit, but that would work in a pinch if you break your bit by going too fast, like I did.

The holes in the rubber gasket are small, but you can just pull it aside to fit the bolts in. The gasket springs back in to shape in short time

Last edited by dougc; 01-16-13 at 04:36 PM.
post #33 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 07:40 PM
Senior Shackster
bg

Quote:
txredxj wrote: View Post
lol right you are, i was thinking of just the radius and not the full diameter.
No problem, it took me a while to wrap my head around the math when I first toyed with the idea. I use this method to route the recess for drivers, instead of routing the cutout then rabbeting for the recess. Anyway, back to our topic.

post #34 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 08:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
Code Red wrote: View Post
I had an issue with just loose fitting the mounting screws through the woofer holes. First off I'm using 1/4" bolts and t-nuts. I thought maybe the big thick rubber gasket-tire like thing fitted on the outside of the metal basket itself is only meant for 3/16" bolts. So I looked at it from the back side, pulling the thick rubber gasket away so I could see the hole itself. It seemed plenty big. I realized that I'm not going to get a good fit with this big rubber gasket on, so I just took it off. Luckily, I guess, its not glued on. Then I seen I had another problem. The surround. Yeah its really tall and high and excursion capable. It's also thick, at least a 1/16". My particular surround was also glued on like this:

Attachment 40045

Every hole. If its not clear from the pic; the surround holes aren't glued in place with the basket holes. Sometimes an 1/8" is important. I tried one hole, just pushing through the surround; yeah this happens:

Attachment 40048

Well that's just ugly. I then took a new exacto knife and very carefully cut out every hole, which is not easy, like I said this is some thick rubber. An hour later I had shaved away enough to see the actual basket holes. Hell yeah! Now I know where to drill.
Make shift 90 degree jig.
We have heard of one other woofer that did not have the surround holes lined up 100% perfectly with the basket holes. While we are addressing this on future production runs note that the same problem you had would have happened regardless because the surround holes are the same size as the basket holes. We had a similar issue years ago with our BM mkIII shallow subwoofers and the solution is to use very small washers under the screw/bolt you are using to mount the subwoofer. That way the screw/bolt doesn't grab the surround itself and twist it around when torquing down the screw/bolt.

Project looks good so far!

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #35 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 09:17 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I have only had a few subwoofers that did have the holes match up. Most did not. Although I feel SI will correct the problem where as the other companies still dont have the holes matching up. And this is a first run.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #36 of 73 Old 01-16-13, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I never thought of using a larger bit for routing out the hole. Beings that I would have had to buy one I would have just drilled an extra hole in my jig anyway. Im cheap that way.

As for the non matching holes on the woofer, it wasnt so much the curling of the surround when tightening the bolts down. I figured out that a small washer would help with that, but it was just the difficulty that it created in seeing the actual holes and pushing a bolt through. A little trimming and all is good to go now, so no harm no foul. Its nice to see someone from the company reading the forums and acknowledging an issue with their product. I have to say other than that small issue the driver seems very well put together and very impressive, especially considering the price.

Glued up the baffle today. First the double layer plywood inner baffle.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-52.jpg

Then the outside mdf piece.
Single SI HT 18 build-sub-53.jpg

I really need to get some more bar clamps, I hate relying on all those screws. Oh well maybe next time.
I weighed the baffle pieces before I glued them up. Taking the 135 lbs I had before the baffle, then adding the 29 lbs for the baffle then the 52 lbs for the driver, Im looking at 216 lbs. Uhg.

Im really getting amped to get this thing rumbling. I picked up a Beringer EP 4000 on Amazon Prime for $275 shipped awhile back. Its more power than I need but for that price I figured I could only use one channel for now then possibly run another 18 later on with the other channel. I'll probably pick up a mini DSP too, though Im going to try it without just so I know the difference.

Tomorrow night I'll start on the finish; filling screw holes with wood filler and sanding. I bought some bondo and meant to try it out but man, the smell. My garage is also my studio, so I work in there during the day so I try to limit noxious vapors.
post #37 of 73 Old 01-17-13, 12:53 AM
Senior Shackster

install the subwoofer once in place and your back will thank you. also make sure all the fumes from the caulk are gone before instaling. the fumes can damage the surround
post #38 of 73 Old 01-17-13, 09:47 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

216 lbs! That is a monster enclosure, Code Red. It looks great though, and its nice to see you take the time to address things the way you did, like gluing and setting the T nuts, and cleaning up the speaker surround. Should pay off with a very nice final product.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #39 of 73 Old 01-17-13, 10:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
Code Red wrote: View Post
Then the outside mdf piece.
Attachment 40054

I really need to get some more bar clamps, I hate relying on all those screws.
Holy clamps batman! ...and you said you needed more clamps, haha!

I'm with Owen - 216 lbs per enclosure is a monster enclosure!

Electrodynamic
You can email me
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #40 of 73 Old 01-18-13, 08:01 AM
Senior Shackster

very nicely done. built like a tank!!