Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.

Ive not been here for a while because Sonnie isnt my friend but I thought you guys would really like this one, so figured I would share it.

This system uses 8 Si HT18 drivers in 4 dual driver cabinets. Power is provided by two Behinger iNuke 6000 DSP amps. Not much else I need to say really, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 02:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System
Re: Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.

Pics ain't showin'!!
post #3 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Teaser pic, I'll add the rest tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-teaser.jpg  

post #4 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 03:10 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

HMMMMM subscribed. .

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #5 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 03:12 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Looking forward to the pics. I have been envisioning doing a DIY sub project making some type of enclosure that extends across my front stage. No research done yet to know how possible it was, but this sure looks close to what I was thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 43 Old 03-06-13, 04:43 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

Interesting stuff, subscribed.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-07-13, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Here are the pics guys. Bit of work involved in this one, but to date its the second best bass Ive heard in a system, so I'm pretty happy with the result. We've also built some single 15's, a couple dual 15's, and have an 18 on the way, again all sealed. We're going to be testing an Fi SP4 18 driver soon as well, so that should be fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-8-drivers.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-teaser.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-stack.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-stacks.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-8-x-18.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-complete-side.jpg  

Si 8 x 18 Custom installed system.-complete.jpg  

post #8 of 43 Old 03-07-13, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Looking forward to the pics. I have been envisioning doing a DIY sub project making some type of enclosure that extends across my front stage. No research done yet to know how possible it was, but this sure looks close to what I was thinking.
You can absolutely do that. There has been some noise made on the web recently about stacking full height, and the difference it could make. We tried this system with one stack running to begin with, and as far as in room eq goes, it made no difference and the response was still all over the place as we moved around the room, so much so it was obvious by ear alone. When the second stack was added on the other side, this was resolved to the extent it was hard to walk around the room and find any loud spots. Even walking to the usual problem areas like corners, it was clean the response had been smoother out a lot. That only serves to confirm my previous thoughts that dual subs spread across the front is typically the best way forward.

If you put a system like this in though, then you need to be careful with the wiring. One of the units had its drivers out of phase due to a crossed wire. When we ran the initial test tones, this became very obvious so it was easily spotted, partly because we ran each box on its own to properly balance the system first. I stick to the methodology I know well and it always stand me in good stead, which will only help more on a project like this, where the wiring etc has a little more to it.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-07-13, 03:01 AM

The SP4 drivers are great, you won't regret them! Have two of them playing in a single 335 liter enclosure, each powered by a Marathon MA-5050, it literally tears the house down. More of them would be just insane.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-07-13, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

The main reason I want to try the SP4 is because I can put it in a much smaller cab than usual, with oodles of power, then eq it. The idea is to see if I can make a high performance compact sealed sub using an 18. Obviously these cabinets in this system are much larger, so I want to test the waters on a more compact solution really.