My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 66 Old 11-25-07, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Warmon

Re: My Three Sons - two front & one down

Howdy fellas,

Thanks for all your comments. Here's my latest round of pics. Cabs are finished and speaks are installed. I'm pretty happy with how they have come out - just a little touch up left on the oak trim and one more coat of poly and I'm done...

A few final details: I stuffed at a rate of 1.25 lbs of poly-fil per cubic foot [2 20oz bags per box] and wired both coils in parallel for a 2ohm load per box. I liked the coarser texture of the Fairfield brand poly-fil over the Morning Glory brand, so I went with it. The cabs will be wired in series for a 6 ohm load to the amp - will be testing them out and if everything checks out; start on the permanent house wiring during the upcoming week.

Enough babble, here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0345.jpg  

My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0347.jpg  

My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0343.jpg  

My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0346.jpg  

My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0348.jpg  

My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0350.jpg  

Warmon - "know what I mean Vern"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 Old 11-25-07, 06:33 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Very nice work Warmon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #43 of 66 Old 11-26-07, 04:30 AM
Shackster
Bill

Very nice! Like a piece of furniture! Can't wait for results and final pics. I missed the beveled edge on the corners, nice touch.

post #44 of 66 Old 11-26-07, 08:17 AM

WOW
Very nice work........ I can't wait to see the 100% final product.
I think I need to find a mad skillz for dummys book for myself!
post #45 of 66 Old 11-26-07, 12:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Great !!!!!! I love the tops.... They are truly a nice work of art, and hope they sound as good as they look... and best of all, no-one will even know they are subs... COOL !!!
post #46 of 66 Old 11-26-07, 08:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Good work!!!!!!!

post #47 of 66 Old 11-27-07, 05:34 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Warmon, those look great! I love the chamfer too, very nice detail. Have you fired them up yet? I hope you don't have placement issues, but with three subs in different locations, you should be able to get rid of any nulls in the room. Are you going to play with the phase at all? for a very short time I had 2 subs running, and maybe it was placement, maybe it was distance, but it seemed to sound better when one was out of phase.

- OJ -

post #48 of 66 Old 11-27-07, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Warmon

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Have you fired them up yet?
Hi guys! Thanks for all your comments. I did fire them up today only to find out I have the low output issue others have have encountered with some other equipment. Been sitting here the last couple of hours reading up on all this balanced / unbalanced LFE to Pro Audio line problem and what to do about it. It's freaky, I know I'm getting some decent low freq output cause things are shaking that have never shook before...like the door knocker knocking like crazy. However, volume and depth are just not there.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some experiments to rule things out and try the advanced setup of the receiver. I have a plate amp and another receiver [to use as an amp]. At this point, I think it's just a signal strength issue.

post #49 of 66 Old 11-28-07, 08:50 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Have you tried running just one sub at a time to see if cancellation is your problem? I don't know if it would affect all the frequencies, or just certain ones, but it's worth a shot. Maybe there's a wire reversed somewhere, maybe my "out of phase" idea above is actually making things worse.

- OJ -

post #50 of 66 Old 11-28-07, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Warmon

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Have you tried running just one sub at a time to see if cancellation is your problem?
From the sub testing facilty:

Okay, I've narrowed it down. Signal strength or mis-matched unbalanced line is the problem. I have a Eosone plate amp that's stable at 2ohms and hooked it to one, two and all three. A single sub thumps big time - three less so because they are each getting approx 70 watts max. The single sub is not run you out of the room loud, but it's up there and close to what I expected. I also hooked up my little 8" AR for comparison. I thumps like crazy too, but you can definitely tell the new subs are on a whole nother deeper level and the notes are more discernable. I also tired it with my oldie, but goodie JVC reciever. It has more line level output than the Yamaha, but still not what the pro amp wants.

So what do y'all think? Do I need a Cleanbox? A BFD? or just a blanced line. How can I boost the signal without spending a bunch of dough? I'm attaching the amp spec sheet - maybe you guys see something there.
Attached Thumbnails
My Three Sons - two front & one down - sealed-dscf0352.jpg  

Attached Files p2500s-spec.pdf (23.6 KB)