T-nuts and bolts size for SI18 build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-13, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

T-nuts and bolts size for SI18 build

So im building a box for my SI 18 i got. I am nearly done but need to know what size tnuts and bolts to get. Any recommendations would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-13, 01:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: T-nuts and bolts size for SI18 build

I usually use 1/4-20 Hurricane washer and bolts for 15's. But anything bigger I use deck screws. I am sure HW would work for an 18 also. I am not a fan of T-nuts. Here is a HW:

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-13, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Why would you not recomend a tnut or hw type of nut for am 18? To much weight?

post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-13, 08:15 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mccolgan4731 wrote: View Post
I just used 1/4 " hurricane nuts and Allen head bolts with my si 18. They worked perfectly. Just make sure you get them centered there isn't alot of room for error. Drilled them to 5/16" and used gorilla glue on them. Just make sure you thread the bolts in when they dry incase any gets in the threads
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-13, 09:20 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Quote:
I tend to use HW with horne subs because I like to swap out drivers. With my bigger subs I am sure HW would be fine. I just used 2.5" screws instead. Its what I had on me is all. I have had bad luck with T nuts. I have also had bad luck with cheap HW. So I have lots good quality HW now so I may use them in the future. But I plan on building lots of horned speakers using 15's so who knows. My past experiences with T nuts are that they all stripped on me. And I then had to hack saw them off.

Either way a HW would be fine for these just as bobbeyo stated.

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-23-13, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Wheres the best place to get hurricane washers i couldnt find them at my local hardware store?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-23-13, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I get mine at Parts-express.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-13, 10:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I get them here.

I am sure there are other places. After buying HW for other BFM builds I just keep getting them from here because I know they work.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-13, 10:41 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Wheres the best place to get hurricane washers i couldnt find them at my local hardware store?
I got mine through parts express. But I'm sure you can get them somewhere locally if not online.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-13, 08:45 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

One thing you need to be careful with the SI 18" is the bolt holes are a little bigger than usual and some cap heads are too small. I found this out the hard way when I was playing my SI 18" and it worked it's way loose, the bolts were still on but the sub slipped past the bolt heads. I had to use small washers and now it is fine.

I personally would skip using t-nuts or hurricane washers unless you get the really high quality ones. I got some from parts express and if you are not exactly on line they will be a nightmare. You definitely don't want to strip the thread either or you will have to do delicate surgery to cut out the screw head and not damage your driver.

Normal wood screws are just as good unless you plan on removing the driver multiple times. Even then I still use wood screws and am just careful to not over tighten and when I do and strip the hole I just use this and it is as good as new again:

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8257-.../dp/B002NJDAJY

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.