The 18SW115 is history...lets see what a 21" can do! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 39 Old 01-14-14, 07:41 AM
Shackster

Daddieo

My System
Re: The 18SW115 is history...lets see what a 21" can do!

I'm a bit new to the sub build network and am wondering why you chose sealed over ported? With my limited experience and knowledge it's would seem that this beast would easily get to the lower bass levels that you are attempting in a ported cabinet. Very impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 01-14-14, 11:39 AM
Shackster

So the most important question... Where are you in South LA? They have been having some issues with sink holes and I bet it's NOT the drilling but instead your sub shaking the very core of the Earth... :-)

Sorta like the VLF systems we use to talk "through" the earth to the submarines...
post #23 of 39 Old 01-14-14, 12:45 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

WOW, I want 4 of them

post #24 of 39 Old 01-15-14, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

Quote:
daddieo wrote: View Post
I'm a bit new to the sub build network and am wondering why you chose sealed over ported? With my limited experience and knowledge it's would seem that this beast would easily get to the lower bass levels that you are attempting in a ported cabinet. Very impressive.
Sealed will extend lower without high pass filtering, unloading of the driver or a combination of both... 104dB corrected at 8Hz in room [1200 cu. ft.] At reference level and above, it can reproduce "Jurassic Lunch" and the 10Hz clomp at 1:02 quite well. To attempt to get very low with an LLT would require a box much too large for my wishes. More pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The 18SW115 is history...lets see what a 21" can do!-pic_0111_233.jpg  

The 18SW115 is history...lets see what a 21" can do!-pic_0111_231a.jpg  

The 18SW115 is history...lets see what a 21" can do!-pic_0111_232a.jpg  

MBoutte
south Louisiana
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

B&C 21SW152-4 [21" critical Q]
post #25 of 39 Old 01-15-14, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
WOW, I want 4 of them
In a room my size, four of them would be catastrophic enough to land me on the local police blotter long before they ever reach the limits of mayhem. I cannot even imagine 116dB @ 8 Hz!

MBoutte
south Louisiana
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

post #26 of 39 Old 01-15-14, 04:05 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
kramskoi wrote: View Post
In a room my size, four of them would be catastrophic enough to land me on the local police blotter long before they ever reach the limits of mayhem. I cannot even imagine 116dB @ 8 Hz!
It's better to have the power and not need it, than to need the power and not having it I've got a single PSA-XV15, and to me it sound much better than my dual Klipsch RW-12D. I can only imagine what a 21" sub can do.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-15-14, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
It's better to have the power and not need it, than to need the power and not having it I've got a single PSA-XV15, and to me it sound much better than my dual Klipsch RW-12D. I can only imagine what a 21" sub can do.
Klipsch subs are the most stunning from a visual standpoint. I think they leave a bit to be desired on the bottom but their specs usually give max spl at 30Hz (1/8 space @ 1m) so they pretty much give you what you can expect. I find that vented consumer subs almost always roll off in a sharp manner due to driver unloading and high pass filtering. No doubt you have noticed this with the much more capable PSA. However, I do love Klipsch so don't take offense...Why at this very moment a pair of RB-35's are on their way to me. They will match up well with the pair I already have...all that needs changing now is the Acoustech center channel and I will have highly efficient 8" drivers all around. One day I might sell all four for a pair of RB-81's or 75's. I sorta dig the sound of horns...gimme the detail, both good and bad!

The sub will eventually become a 2x21", it is just a matter of when a driver becomes available and if I feel up to building another enclosure from scratch. As it stands, the max at 8 Hz is 104dB at the LP. Adding another will be done strictly to elicit superfluous headroom and a satiated ego.

MBoutte
south Louisiana

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Last edited by kramskoi; 01-16-14 at 01:45 AM.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-19-14, 12:04 PM
Shackster

Very nice information. I don't believe that I've ever heard a sub in person with that kind of output before. Oh, and hello from another South Louisiana native.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-31-14, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

martin

update:

Finally did a recheck with the impedance analyzer on the sub today and found Fb @ 59 Hz...so .51 Qtc. is just about right.

MAX SPL at the extreme low end:

8 Hz - 103 dB @ LP
10 Hz - 105 dB

Since I can't seem to find this mystery driver Ricci tested called the ZOD 621D, I will have to make do for now. The Beyma 21SW1600ND is an option but more of a lateral one and not worth the cash really. I could do a 21SW115 from B&C but I am not sure that is more than a lateral move either. Looked at specifics on a dual...the cab must become ~ 7" deeper and I just don't know that I want something quite that size at this time. The ZOD would be perfect...then again, it is only 7 inches. Too bad TC Sounds doesn't make a 21" driver! Whatever happened to the 5200? Thing had a qts of .15 if I remember right!

Eventually the pro sound drivers will become increasingly attractive because today's music will force manufacturers to increase the stroke of the drivers to compensate. We have already seen this with the 5100, 21SW, ZOD 21, Beyma 21, RCF. The trend is toward more xmax. I just wish they would hurry the up. Otherwise, I must wait seemingly until the stars burn out for a HT driver with specs that suit me. The last one that did was the TC 3000.

MBoutte
south Louisiana

Klipsch RB-35
Klipsch RB-35
Acoustech HT-65
Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

post #30 of 39 Old 01-31-14, 05:08 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
kramskoi wrote: View Post
update:

Finally did a recheck with the impedance analyzer on the sub today and found Fb @ 59 Hz...so .51 Qtc. is just about right.

MAX SPL at the extreme low end:

8 Hz - 103 dB @ LP
10 Hz - 105 dB

Since I can't seem to find this mystery driver Ricci tested called the ZOD 621D, I will have to make do for now. The Beyma 21SW1600ND is an option but more of a lateral one and not worth the cash really. I could do a 21SW115 from B&C but I am not sure that is more than a lateral move either. Looked at specifics on a dual...the cab must become ~ 7" deeper and I just don't know that I want something quite that size at this time. The ZOD would be perfect...then again, it is only 7 inches. Too bad TC Sounds doesn't make a 21" driver! Whatever happened to the 5200? Thing had a qts of .15 if I remember right!

Eventually the pro sound drivers will become increasingly attractive because today's music will force manufacturers to increase the stroke of the drivers to compensate. We have already seen this with the 5100, 21SW, ZOD 21, Beyma 21, RCF. The trend is toward more xmax. I just wish they would hurry the up. Otherwise, I must wait seemingly until the stars burn out for a HT driver with specs that suit me. The last one that did was the TC 3000.
Have you tried contacting Ricci to see where you can get one?

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..