Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Sealed Subwoofer Build Projects (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sealed-subwoofer-build-projects/)
-   -   Acoustic Elegance dual 12" diy sub..... (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sealed-subwoofer-build-projects/28747-acoustic-elegance-dual-12-diy-sub.html)

Prize78 05-05-10 12:54 PM

Acoustic Elegance dual 12" diy sub.....

Hi all, i'm in the process of starting my first diy build....well actually, a friend of mine, not unknown in these parts (!) is going to put it all together for me. :-)

Basically, i've bought a Behringer EP4000 to power it, and the only restrictions so far are that (owing to size constraints) the sub has to be sealed (to keep the size down). It works out at around 40 litres, and my basic question (apart from any advice along the way), is, what driver configuration would be the best?? Push pull, or dual opposed etc. Does it matter???

All i want, is the best bass i can get out of the restrictions i have.
The drivers are AE 12x for the upper bass slam, which is what i really like....the 'feel it in your chest' type bass.....but, obvously, i'm well up for it to dig deep too!!!

Any thoughts guys???

Binary 05-05-10 01:25 PM

Re: Acoustic Elegance dual 12" diy sub.....

i'd do dual subwoofers in opposite corners of the room, it helps with room modes and stereo subwoofers have to be heard to be enjoyed. i know you wanted small, but one in each of the front corners as sealed will probably yeild you the best in-room results. 40l is kinda small, but workable. 40l with 2 drivers is tiny.

Prize78 05-05-10 01:28 PM

Ha ha, yeah it is....but that's what it modelled at....and i'm told that sealed with big power, can give good reults??!

Binary 05-05-10 01:47 PM

what kind of volume levels are you looking for?

remember sealed can go low with eq, but every little bit of EQ on low end will take away headroom.

These drivers won't handle the thermal power to get what youre thinking of getting out of them. theyre decent, don't get me wrong, but its a completely different beast you'd be looking for to pull that off.

Sealed 40l each, one on either side of the room is gonna be the best mix of depth and headroom.

Your benefit would be stereo subs will be just as loud as 2 in one box, but they'll extend deeper and have a flatter in room response with two. Plus less is more when it comes to equalization. And its not like your EP4000 can't handle one sub per channel. :P

Moonfly 05-05-10 01:49 PM

The model works best with a volume of 50 litres. At full power it can output 100db @10hz, which will allow some room for a bit of eq. The system Q of this sub will be about .635, then with added wadding, this should give a nice balance of upper bass punch, and depth.

Prize, this sub will go at least as deep as a Monolith, so not to shabby, but should have significantly improved SQ.

Binary 05-05-10 01:56 PM

thanks moonfly, im at work so i don't have winisd to model the box, 40l seemed pretty close, but as usual, bigger is better :P

Prize78 05-05-10 02:05 PM

Nah, unfortunately my little UK room won't allow for stereo subs due to what's already in the room, although it would be nice. I'll be coming from an SVS SB12+, and out and out SPL isn't my main concern.....i only watch films at -23 ish on my amp, so that's not the issue (for now!!!). Quality of bass is what i'm really after. I also like the ability of the bass to disappear as quickly as it appears.

Moonfly 05-05-10 02:21 PM

I modelled a single dual driver sub, so probably still smaller than your thinking. Increasing cabinet size lowers system Q, and the preference in sound over here is not for it to be too low.

Binary 05-05-10 02:35 PM

im not an LLT enthusiast, i don't know what you're talking about ...:hsd: lol, Yeah i guess im overshooting a little bit, did you take driver volume into account? (could get you back up pretty close to where i was :P) anyways, yes, i agree. he's looking for chest thump and not subsonics. Dual 12s (not opposed i'm assuming) in the single 50l box would be great! i'd still go bigger if i could. its totally worth overshooting your build requirements as you won't be living there forever i'd assume and upgradeitis affects everyone lol.

Mike P. 05-05-10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Moonfly wrote: (Post 262078)
The model works best with a volume of 50 litres. At full power it can output 100db @10db, which will allow some room for a bit of eq. The system Q of this sub will be about .635, then with added wadding, this should give a nice balance of upper bass punch, and depth.

Agreed. This looks to be an excellent small cabinet design.