Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Finished IB Projects Photos

126K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  sdog21 
#1 ·
Please post finished IB project photos here.

If you don't mind, please include the driver model, amp and power rating.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
First IB Build was done in a few days in March 06
Still awesome SQ that I love, as do everyone who visits including 2ch audiophilic types
Manifold is of 2 x 19mm ply thickness and weighs over 40kg without the drivers. With drivers about 80kg and was a heavy lift with strop over my back to lower into place whilst someone else bolted in
The last shot is a size comparo between an old B&W ASW1000 box sub and just the 18" avalanche driver

Front IB is 2x 18" Avalanche driven by SGR501 subamp, wired parallel at 2ohms. Sub amp is rated 500watts @8ohms class AB. During stress testing we measured 400watts on the amp manufacturers oscilloscope - the house was groaning and I was fearful to go further. A visit next day from the EPA suggests it was loud at the neighbours also (oops)

Wood Room Wood stain Child Hardwood

Floor Room Plywood Hardwood Wood

Product Metal

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Sound box Car subwoofer Audio equipment

#5 · (Edited)
Well this one has been finished for a while now and rocks the house .Using 4 GR Research 12's a Behringer a500 amp and bfd .

#6 ·
My IB is documented on my blog pretty well- it is a 'flip-top' giving me a trap door access to the ceiling. Since I'm the inventor of this amazing technology (reversed from the Addams family), if you use it, you owe me a beer.

They are a pair of FiCarAudio Q18s, customized (at factory) for IB, driven by an EP2500 in separate channels, through a BFD, and tuned with REW (of course!)

ADMIN NOTE: Please resize images to reasonable size. They take too long to load on the page and are excessively larger than normal.

#10 ·
Hello fellas!
At just over 4 times Vas, my rig is arguably "Infinite", but it gives me a "warm fuzzy" to think that it is. So there. :yes:

Drivers: (4) 15" HawthorneAudio Sterling Silver Iris Augies
Amp: Legion 800watt two channel

The IB is behind and below my 140" projection screen. It required the removal of two oak doors in the cabinetry and plenty of cabinet reinforcement.
Here's a few photos with notes:

NOTE:
-Please ignore the wiring.:sarcastic:
-The white panel at the top of the photo is the projection screen.
-Three glued and nailed layers of MDF line the inside of the cabinet 'throat' for strengh

NOTE:
-Main Baffle is two inches thick.
-Gasket to flush mount against back of cabinetry.
-T-Nuts galore

NOTE:
-A 'full frontal' shot of the room. See the IB tucked in there? Just waiting for an innocent bystander to pass by. :boxer:
-All nine 15inchers ready for battle! :yes:

After the first day with this, I can see what all the fuss is about. These things are COOL!

Bob

#14 ·
Thanks. The space above is not used because it is exposed above the TV when the TV is slid back in front of the opening. It was originally used as a closet that was for items used infrequently. It had a Bi-fold door for access. So to make the final look of the IB stealthy, I cut the door in half across and rigged up a mount to hold the upper half of the door in placer. From all practical positions in front of the TV you can not see the IB. Anyway, the output is by far more than I need.

#23 ·
Why couldnt you have push/pull in an IB. Ill you need to do is spin one (or half of) the drivers around. As long as they are mechanically in phase, in theory, the push pull should be the same as it is in any cab. The only thing I can think of, is that due to completely lack of any air spring, the push pull mechanics wouldnt work as they do in an normal sealed cab, which actually makes sense to me.

You could have the drivers in a push pull configuration easily enough, but I wander if the distortion cancelling effects would apply. That said, IB's dont need any of that anyway do they, as they are super clean anyway. Any who, here is a picture of what looks like a push/pull IB to me -

#21 · (Edited)
I have a build thread at The IB Cult forum, however I want to post here my finished product.
(well, I have to make the rectangular speaker cover still)

Here is my line array built with 4 x AE IB15's, my first DIY speaker project.

I've named this IB subwoofer "Usul", because I had to cut thru rock (concrete foundation wall) to make this project a reality:

Carpeting and wall acoustic treatments are a few weeks away.
Yet I am so please with the sound quality, clean, powerful bass presence.

Anyone considering to build a IB sub I highly recommend the AE IB15's, great value for the $$'s.
My total investment is around $1.3k, speakers, amp, EQ, mounting boards, hardware, speaker grille cloth, etc.
I am driving them with the Behringer EP2500 Europower Power Amp, EQ Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer (not dialed in yet, I'm just learning REW)

#32 ·
I have IB project going on and it's only partly finished, so I guess I can post picture only from ready side to this thread.:nono:

I got yesterday two FI IB318 installed to new concrete floor, it's between theater and cellar. I also tested those yesterday and those sounds great, even room acoustics need lot of work before theater side is ready.

Here's my sort of build thread.

#27 ·
People seem put off by IBs and not that many people can easily accommodate them. On top of that, something like an LLT is a bit cheaper to make as well, so we dont see that many IB builds in general really. I plan to install one eventually, but that time seems to keep being put back.

#28 ·
{sorry for the delay, I didn't get email notification} :huh:

I agree an IB is kinda of a crazy, wacked out thing to have. They're also very hard to pass the WAF when you talk about cutting large (permament) holes in the house. ha ha

But I figured that SURELY someone had built one in the past three years.
My comment was more of a "bump", than anything. :wave:

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.