Won't Power on & Standby LED blinks - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 01-29-09, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Re: Won't Power on & Standby LED blinks

I've been cleaning up things, and can see better now. Not sure where to go from here, and don't want to make any mistakes. I think I've got all the right tools, solder braid, solder, soldering irons, etc. On my 40XBR, you can slide out the entire electronics, and was trying to see if I could possibly do the job w/o removing the D-Board. Doubt I could solder upside down though. Where exactly are all the screws located on the D-Board? I think I need a step-by-step guide on this fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-29-09, 08:10 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I really would not recommend continuing if you are having this much trouble figuring this out. I cannot recall the exact location of every screw on every model and do not take pictures of each repair. I am sorry but I don't have the kind of step by step guideance that you desire. I can provide general information and assistance, but beyond that you are on your own.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-30-09, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I really would not recommend continuing if you are having this much trouble figuring this out. I cannot recall the exact location of every screw on every model and do not take pictures of each repair. I am sorry but I don't have the kind of step by step guideance that you desire. I can provide general information and assistance, but beyond that you are on your own.
Thanks, but after all this time, trouble and expense of parts, etc. this attempted DIY Fix is going to happen, successful or not. I've got some more info on the D-Board removal from others that have done it, but being a noob at this I want to be very careful & sure I'm doing the fix properly, in order, and w/o adding more problems.

post #14 of 27 Old 01-30-09, 06:37 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Just don't force anything, release the connectors between the boards, disconnect the wires to the board, remove the screws, then it is held in by a few pressure clips around the sides. It really is not that hard.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-30-09, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Quote:
Just don't force anything, release the connectors between the boards, disconnect the wires to the board, remove the screws, then it is held in by a few pressure clips around the sides. It really is not that hard.
OK thanks, I'll be careful. This morning, I've been practicing desoldering/soldering more on an old circuit board.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-31-09, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Quote:
Status report: The D-Board is out and in "Service Position". I desoldered the two IC's fairly easily and they came out no problem. The Radio Shack desoldering iron w/red bulb & Chem-Wik desoldering braid you recommended were a huge help. Once the IC's are out, I shined a light through the D-Board and could see all the 18 holes were clear. Soldering was more difficult for me, but I have done it and looking carefully it appears OK.

Icaillo, I've got a slight problem I hope you can help. In the beginning of my repair, I was sliding out the component tray and afterwards noticed that the "white" wire coming from the Flyback had disconnected or come loose from the C-Board located behind the Yoke. There are three(3) wires coming out of the Flyback. The large red wire going to the CRT, the smaller gauge red wire going to the C-Board behind the Yoke, and then the "white" wire that seems to have been connected to the C-Board as well. For the life of me, I can not find where to exactly re-connect that white wire. What does this white wire do, and could you please tell me how to re-connect it? Thanks.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-31-09, 10:46 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

IIRC, that is the G2 or screen wire. It goes into a connector and is pretty hard to get out. Did the connector come out with it. The connector is soldered to the board.

post #18 of 27 Old 01-31-09, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Quote:
IIRC, that is the G2 or screen wire. It goes into a connector and is pretty hard to get out. Did the connector come out with it. The connector is soldered to the board.
There is a red connector type still on the end of the white wire. I've looked at this red connector very closely, and there was no hint of solder on it at all.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-31-09, 11:19 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Probably broke it off. Can you find where it went on the board? IIRC it is near the edge of the board. When we change the flyback we usually just remove the red connector and solder the wire directly to the board, making a more durable connection.

post #20 of 27 Old 01-31-09, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Quote:
Probably broke it off. Can you find where it went on the board? IIRC it is near the edge of the board. When we change the flyback we usually just remove the red connector and solder the wire directly to the board, making a more durable connection.
When I look facing at the C-Board and where I think the wire might of come from due to the fact that there is absoutely no wire left to reach over, I see the writing "G2 CN909" (soldered side). Abover this G2 CN909, I see from the left to right, one hole soldered, hole not soldered, and then 4 holes soldered. The wire can only reach the first 2-3 holes. What would happen if I did not connect this white wire and turned on the TV? What do you suggest? Thanks.