Won't Power on & Standby LED blinks - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Won't Power on & Standby LED blinks

Hello everyone on the Home Theater Shack Forum. This is my first post, and I have a big problem w/my Sony CRT that I will explain in detail. I was invited to this Forum and w/the help of Icaillo, I'm hoping to get this problem correctly fixed and document this DIY Repair for others to use. Apparently, this is a common problem w/the Sony CRT's as this failure has been noted many times on other Forums. I want to save my big Sony Tube from the landfill, and hopefully we'll help others do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Re: DIY Repair For Sony CRT That Won't Power On & The Standby Lights Blink...

I will start off by stating that I a total noob at TV repair work, or any other electronics repair work for that matter. I have been doing a lot of reading of my TV problem, and am very willing to give a try. If I can do it, then I figure anybody can. If some of my questions, etc. seem like common knowledge to more experienced DIY'ers, please keep in mind that this is my first DIY repair and I want to be careful.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 12:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: DIY Repair For Sony CRT That Won't Power On & The Standby Lights Blink...

What's the model number of the Sony TV?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 12:19 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Won't Power on & Standby LED blinks

We try to keep the forums organized so that people can find what they are looking for so I moved this here to the Sony forum. As suggested above, a model number is a good start. I have been trying to get around to doing a thread on the now infamous MCZ3001D IC repairs that are needed on these and other Sony sets very often, and cajieboy has agreed to post the details of his experience to help out. Lots of folks are doing these repairs themselves and there is a lot of both good and bad info out there about it. As per our goals here, we will summarize the important info and make sure that it is easy to find, concise, and correct, and not buried in hundreds of pages of individuals seaching for the same info. The details of cajie's repair will be the basis for working up a sticky. Thanks.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

My Sony is the KV-40XBR800 CRT HDTV. This is the biggest Tube that Sony ever produced, and weighs in at about 300lbs. Generally, you park this Baby Huey in the corner and leave it there. I'll ask a friend to come over to help pull out the TV to facilitate the repair.

I purchased this 40XBR at Circuit City in late December 2002, for $3000. The optional $500 Sony Stand was thrown into the deal. An expensive 5-Year CC Extended Warranty was also purchase. On the same day, I also purchased a slew of their best Monster Cables (didn't know better at the time), a Sony DVP-NS715P Progressive DVD Player, and a Sony Remote Commander RM-AV3000 w/lcd touchscreen.

This TV has been a solid performer w/excellent PQ. The 40XBR was Sony's flagship model at that time, and had all the bells & whistles that Sony could put into it. About three years into ownership, the TV developed the dreaded "greenies". I enacted my EW, and to my big surprise the TV was totally fixed. Nothing else has happened since that time. I take care of my electronic gear and the 40XBR looks almost brand new as the day I bought it.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Earlier last week as my wife and I were watching a movie on the 40XBR we heard a little "pop" noise, and the pic slightly shifted and immediately returned to normal. We looked at each other and said "what was that?". We continued watching our movie, and later I watched the late night news before turning off the TV. Next morning, the TV would not power on, and there was this sequence of 6 or 7 red Led blinking lights. I tried a few more unsucessful attempts, then unplugged the TV from the surge protector for about and hour. Still nothing happened. I repeated this process several times throughout the day but no luck.

By coincidence, a few weeks before, I had been reading about this very same problem on another Forum. It intrigued me because the Sony models were similar and the frequency of this failure was amazing. I even bragged on my TV a little, and hoped it did not happen to me. Well, knock on wood my friends, this failure has bitten my beloved Tube as well.

I immediately & frantically got back on the internet and re-read the threads, and emailed Icaillo. Hopefully w/his help, I'll be able to report a fix. I'm in the process of gathering the parts and tools needed for this repair, and will list them. The tools seem to be harder for me than the parts because being such a noob I did not own anything needed to do the work. I hope to document everything properly, and will later add pics.

BTW, after giving the TV a long 30hr rest unplugged, we plugged it back in & low and behold the thing came back on in all its glory. I had read that this might happen, but of course the TV is still not fixed. This happened Thursday night just before the BCS Championship Game and being afraid we have NOT turned off this TV since. Right now I have the Giants vs Eagles Game on. Icaillo, will this hurt my TV??!
post #7 of 27 Old 01-11-09, 04:34 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It will not hurt your set, other than the aging on the CRT from running it extra hours.

This sounds like the classic IC failures. They are often intermittent. The ICs are IC6501 and IC8001, IIRC, on the D board. This is the board to the left when looking from the back of the set, with the high voltage transformer with the red lead coming out of it. The ICs are type MCZ3001D, and are replaced with the MCZ3001DB. The best way to get them is under the Hitachi part number CP08451U. They are identical to the part from Sony, only much less expensive. You can get them from Hitachi distributors such as TriTronics or Vance Baldwin or Andrews.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-23-09, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town, and upon return we've had guests visiting from out of state. The situation is a bit hectic.

All parts were ordered and now arrived. Here is a complete list:

Three(3) MCZ3001DB IC Shindengen Chips. Ordered from Tri-State Module. $5.99 ea. X 3 + 4.80 USPS = $22.77

45-Watt Desoldering Iron (w/red bulb). Radio Shack model #64-2060. $10.99.

Desolder Replacement Tip (optional). Radio Shack #64-02061. $1.99

Tip Tinner & Cleaner. Radio Shack #64-020. $6.99

Alpha Fry Fine Electrical Repair Solder, 63/37 Rosin Flux Core (0.5 oz). Ace Hardware. $3.79

Weller Pro Series Self-Standing Soldering Iron (WPS-18MP). All-Spec. $25.31

Chem-Wik Rosin SD Desoldering Braid .100" Blue (10-5L). All-Spec. $2.58

Chip Lifter ESD Safe Handle (W27920). All-Spec. $4.47

Chip Extraction Tool. 8-24 Pins (EX1). All-Spec. $2.73

Grand Total: $81.62

Some of those tool items may be optional. Remember, I'm a first degree noob, and thus did not even own the basic items for DIY electronics repair. Now I do. So, maybe if this fix is successful, I'll attempt something else later on. Might be a new hobby for me!

Later today, I plan to get an old boom box out of the garage and do a little desoldering/soldering practice on some circuit boards. Hopefully, I'll attempt the real fix over this weekend.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-29-09, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

cajieboy

Icaillo, I need help. I practiced on a used circuit board desoldering & soldering similar looking IC's. The desoldering went very well but the soldering I was unsure.

Anyway, I've pulled my 40XBR out from the wall and swung around half way to have room to work. I then preceeded to unsrew all the screws around the perimeter. I tried to remove the back from the TV but no go. What could I be doing wrong?

PS: Update, I found the problem. The metal clip that held on the Sony Stand had to be removed. Looks very dirty inside. Should I clean it while the back is off? If so, how? Looking things over very carefully before I begin.

Last edited by cajieboy; 01-29-09 at 03:35 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-29-09, 04:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Im sure Icaillo will be along soon but I can tell you that blowing out the inside of the TV is the best way. Dont breath any of it in (wear a dust mask). Air in a can will work well (do not shake the can).
When resoldering make sure that you use a good quality soldering iron and dont over heat the spot where you are doing the work, use a solder sucker or tape to remove the old solder and use some flux core solder when redoing the connection.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900