ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:03 PM
Senior Shackster
counsil

Re: ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion

Quote:
Anthony wrote: View Post
Quarter to quarter is easier and you can get the cable at any guitar shop (or Radio Shack)
Thanks man. I think I saw some posts from you regarding all of this when I was researching the MobilePre. I thought you had to make a -30dB attenuator so the phantom power didn't hose your MobilePre?

Since I already have an XLR to 1/4" cable, can I go ahead and use it? I am assuming that the phantom power should be turned off so power won't go into the 1/4" input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

The attenuator was to go between the mic level and the line level of the 1/4" plug. It was in no way a protection circuit. I have no idea what would happen if you turned on phantom power, but it might not be good

I don't know enough about your mic to 1/4 adapter cable. Does it attenuate? Is it balanced to balanced (tip-ring-sleeve)? I still think 1/4 to 1/4 is easiest, but if you have the cable you should be able to try it. I would keep the levels and gains VERY low at first to make sure you aren't over-feeding it. It can protect from a serious clip, but only so much.

Good luck.
post #123 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:19 PM
Senior Shackster
counsil

Here is the exact cable that I have...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Do you think it would be safe to use for calibration?

post #124 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

It won't attenuate, but it is unbalanced, so the mic input should know what to do with it (i.e. go unbalanced for the input signal).

It's been a while since I did that experiment so I'll have to refresh my memory on what I did.
post #125 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:28 PM
Senior Shackster
counsil

Quote:
It won't attenuate, but it is unbalanced, so the mic input should know what to do with it (i.e. go unbalanced for the input signal).

It's been a while since I did that experiment so I'll have to refresh my memory on what I did.
I appreciate your help.
post #126 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
The attenuator was to go between the mic level and the line level of the 1/4" plug. It was in no way a protection circuit. I have no idea what would happen if you turned on phantom power, but it might not be good

I don't know enough about your mic to 1/4 adapter cable. Does it attenuate? Is it balanced to balanced (tip-ring-sleeve)? I still think 1/4 to 1/4 is easiest, but if you have the cable you should be able to try it. I would keep the levels and gains VERY low at first to make sure you aren't over-feeding it. It can protect from a serious clip, but only so much.

Good luck.
I just had to mention that my niece saw your avatar, and now we're watching Ratatouille.
post #127 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
I just had to mention that my niece saw your avatar, and now we're watching Ratatouille.
I cook a lot in my spare time . . .
post #128 of 170 Old 03-14-10, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Counsil,
I just reread this entire thread (it kinda took off on its own). Now that I remember stuff, I think the worry was that we couldn't get the level down low enough without the attenuator. But with the master volume low and the dial gain all the way down, you can slowly bring it up to see how it looks.

If it goes all over the place, or looks too different from the graphs I posted, you may have to either attenuate or just do the 1/4 to 1/4 calibration when you can get a cable.

Let us know how it goes.
post #129 of 170 Old 03-16-10, 03:54 PM
Senior Shackster
counsil

Instead of getting the MobilePre, I am thinking of getting an M-Audio Fast Track Pro from a buddy of mine for really cheap (<$100). The Fast Track Pro has a mixing knob. Below is what the M-Audio website says about the knob. Where should I set it during sound card calibration and where should I set it when taking measurements? I have an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable (balanced to balanced) and an XLR to 1/4" mono (balanced to unbalanced). I would like to use one of them during the sound card calibration as I don't have a 1/4" to 1/4" cable. Thoughts? Same as above? Just turn the gain down really low to avoid clipping?

------ begin of quote --------

Q: What is the function of the Mix knob on my Fast Track USB/Podcast Factory USB/ Fast Track Pro?

A: The Mix knob on these devices controls the audio mix sent to select analog outputs, fading between the input signals from microphones, guitars, or other audio sources plugged into the device and the output signal from your audio application software. When turned fully counter-clockwise (input position), only the input signals from external sources are heard at the affected outputs of your device. When turned fully clockwise (playback position), only the output signal from your DAW software is heard at the device’s affected outputs.

Next to the Mix knob you will find a "stereo/mono" input selection button. If you are monitoring a mono input source (such as a guitar or microphone plugged directly into one input on your Fasttrack) you will need to have this button set to "mono" so that the mono input signal is panned to both your left and right speaker or headphone ear.

The outputs associated with the Mix knob are generally those that would be used to connect to a monitoring system like speakers or headphones. On the Fast Track USB and Podcast Factory USB, the outputs affected by the Mix knob are the red and white “1/L” and “2/R” outputs and the headphone output. On the Fast Track Pro, TRS outputs 1 and 2 (along with RCA/phono outputs 1 and 2) are affected by the Mix knob.

The advantage of having this type of Mix control is that you can create your own monitoring mix between the external input being sent to your computer and the software output coming back from your computer’s recording/DAW software.

For example, if you were recording a live instrument track, and wanted to be able to hear other pre-recorded tracks in your project while you performed, you could set the mix knob halfway between Input and Playback. Setting the Mix knob halfway between Input and Playback would allow you to hear your instrument input (with zero latency) while recording, while allowing you to also listening to the other tracks playing back from your DAW at the same time. In many cases, “directly monitoring” your external input like this is preferable to relying on the signal coming back from your DAW software to provide you with live input monitoring, as the slight delay introduced by having to send the external input signal from your instrument to your computer/DAW then back to your audio interface can make it difficult to perform your music reliably.

Lowering your latency/buffer settings for your hardware (when possible) can reduce the amount of delay inherent in monitoring your live input through your software, but the zero-latency monitoring offered via the Mix knob will always allow you to accurately and comfortably monitor your performance regardless of your hardware latency settings.

The Mix knob does not affect the signal being sent to your computer for recording in any way.

------ end of quote --------
post #130 of 170 Old 03-16-10, 05:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
The Fast Track Pro has a mixing knob. Below is what the M-Audio website says about the knob. Where should I set it during sound card calibration and where should I set it when taking measurements?
Sounds like a monitoring function. I believe the full-clockwise position is what you want (input sources off).

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|