ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 170 Old 04-04-12, 12:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Re: ECM8000 microphone measuring techniques and usage discussion

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

There should have been a “Read me” file on the calibration disc that includes the following:

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne, this is what mine reads:

Frequency Response Files:
The narrow band response x degree.FRD files contain the narrowband (FFT) frequency response response
calibration files for the microphone at an angle of 0 degree incidence (microphone pointed directly at the sound
source), 45 degrees incidence (microphone pointed diagonally with respect to the sound propagation path of the
source) and 90 degrees incidence (microphone perpendicular to the sound propagation path of the source).

The one third octave band response x degree.FRD files contain the one-third octave band frequency response
response calibration files for the microphone at an angle of 0 degree incidence (microphone pointed
directly at the sound source), 45 degrees incidence (microphone pointed diagonally with respect to the sound
propagation path of the source) and 90 degrees incidence (microphone perpendicular to the sound propagation
path of the source).
P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 04-04-12, 12:51 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Wull wrote: View Post
Thanks Wayne, this is what mine reads:

Frequency Response Files:
The narrow band response x degree.FRD files contain the narrowband (FFT) frequency response response
calibration files for the microphone at an angle of 0 degree incidence (microphone pointed directly at the sound
source), 45 degrees incidence (microphone pointed diagonally with respect to the sound propagation path of the
source) and 90 degrees incidence (microphone perpendicular to the sound propagation path of the source).

The one third octave band response x degree.FRD files contain the one-third octave band frequency response
response calibration files for the microphone at an angle of 0 degree incidence (microphone pointed
directly at the sound source), 45 degrees incidence (microphone pointed diagonally with respect to the sound
propagation path of the source) and 90 degrees incidence (microphone perpendicular to the sound propagation
path of the source).
P.
The part Wayne quoted is on Page 2.
post #153 of 170 Old 04-04-12, 12:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
The part Wayne quoted is on Page 2.

Sorry to continue sounding thick:

So in the REW/Preferences/Analysis

When running REW with no smoothing then use 'The narrow band response'

And use the one third octave band response when applying only the 1/3rd. What about the other smoothing frequency responces?

Last edited by Wull; 04-04-12 at 01:06 PM.

post #154 of 170 Old 04-04-12, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Anechoic

Quote:
Wull wrote: View Post

Sorry to continue sounding thick:

So in the REW/Preferences/Analysis

When running REW with no smoothing then use 'The narrow band response'

And use the one third octave band response when applying only the 1/3rd. What about the other smoothing frequency responces?
For REW, just use the narrow band correction curve, no matter the smoothing you're using.
post #155 of 170 Old 04-04-12, 01:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Quote:
Anechoic wrote: View Post
For REW, just use the narrow band correction curve, no matter the smoothing you're using.
Thanks
post #156 of 170 Old 06-12-12, 02:03 AM

Hi guys,

I don't know if this has been discussed before (not that I haven't searched) but in my quest in finding an affordable and convenient microphone calibration (by substitution) solution I stumbled across this:

(I don't know why the images are not showing up, maybe it's the forum censorship, just do a google on "rockwool tube")
It's rockwool tube used for plumbing purposes, it can be acquired in all kinds of thickness, diameter, density, with or without the foil shell. The idea is that it can be used as a anechoic chamber for high frequencies (best case scenario 1kHz and up) between the tweeter and the microphone.

Now while this is obviously an anechoic "chamber" at certain frequencies, the fact that it's quite narrow will inevitably affect the frequency response (some sort of high-pass filter?). On the positive side, reflections may get attenuated, compared to free air measurements, resulting in smoother overall response.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but a very reliable and precise method of low end calibration should be nearfield measurement, as described in Claudio Negro's page.

Any comments appreciated
K.

Last edited by kipsus; 06-12-12 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added image
post #157 of 170 Old 06-29-12, 01:02 AM
Senior Shackster
Will

Hi.

Is there a Generic Cal file available for the ECM8000 Mic for 90 degree orientation?
post #158 of 170 Old 06-30-12, 02:03 PM
Senior Shackster

My Cross Spectrum ''Basic Plus'' ECM8000 will arrive next week. I want to make measurements with this mic+REW+my Tascam 122 MKII. Can you guys tell me what I need to do FIRST with the ECM8000 before I can start making measurements? I only know that I will need to plug in the ECM8000 to the L or R xlr input of my Tascam 122 MKII but that s all I know

Thanks guys!
post #159 of 170 Old 06-30-12, 04:16 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The first thing you'll need to do is copy the calibration files from the disc that will come with the mic to the REW Calibration Files folder on your computer. Then, open REW and go to Preferences/Mic-Meter and open the "narrow_band_response_0_degree.cal" file.

If you're still lost at this point, then you obviously haven't studied the Help Files.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #160 of 170 Old 07-01-12, 06:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Allright. This seems simple enough! thxz